Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I do have to say there was something concerning
Quote: @FSUVike said:
See, this week I actually think he came in with a plan and made Philly adjust first rather than the other way around. And once Pederson had things grooving on those two quick, long drives Zimmer went back on the attack again with A Gap looks, moving Harry around, etc.

I also LOVED putting Waynes on Kelce. That was brilliant. Hope Mike comes out aggressive again in Detroit but I think he'll probably play it a little more close to the vest on the road against a team that isn't so heavy on misdirection.
I think this is pretty sound reasoning as Zimmer just said in his presser he 'threw some new things' at Philadelphia defensively. 

Quote: @FSUVike said:
@Wetlander said:
@FSUVike said:
@Wetlander said:
You're smarter than that, FSU.
You know I am. That was some hyperbole to rile up the Forum Police who seem to think you can't say a single damned negative thing after a Win.

So here's some truth: the Defensive Guru who once said he could find CBs that can play Zone at 711 is using his pricey, Man to Man cover guy in zone. Like a lot.

I get the idea of switching to Zone to combat all the misdirection, rub routes etc. The whole League started doing it last year and that's when most of the high powered Offenses started slowing down.

But Belicheat went back to Man late last year against the Chiefs and again vs. the Rams. Zimmer seems to be going the other way playing more and more of it. All that soft coverage can lead to lots of easy pitch and catches ala the 3rd Quarter yesterday.

Frankly, I expect more from a Defense that has that much capital invested in it. 

Saw a bit on the news about how Belicheat showed the League how to beat KC by playing Man. The Colts did it. The Texans dis it. Soft Zone against the Chiefs will result in a big road loss, IMO.

To me there are only 2 explanations: Mike has gone way overboard with his use of Zone or Rhodes has completely fallen off a cliff and Mike is doing it to protect him.

Whatever the case is it's touch to watch so much soft coverage. Even in a win. And Mike is right to post about it.
You keep coming back to this idea that defense should be better than it is with "all the capital invested in it".

You also seem to be drawing conclusions that we are playing a certain way to protect players who you feel aren't playing good.  What if it was the game plan to combat what the Eagles like to do on offense?

Maybe the Defensive Guru is switching things up to adapt to the league and is waiting to adjust his scheme again in the 2nd half of the season?  I saw some new wrinkles this game...  one of them was Everson lined up over center in a Double A gap look.

This was a fun game to watch...  for some of us anyways...  ;-)
We all enjoyed the game. Some of us saw some things we'd like to see get addressed. A team missing a chunk of its weapons nearly rallied back to tie it up after being in a huge hole. Kudos to the coaches and players for rallying as well to put them away.

Some of you must really hate Nick Saban. Team wins by 40 and he's focused on how to get better vs. patting his team on the back.

Xavier Rhodes is a Man Corner inked to a large deal that is playing the most zone I ever remember him playing. And this time it wasnt against a shifty speed guy. That's cause for concern.

There has to be space on this forum for all three sides: the Optimists, the Pessimists and the Realists.

Realistically, I saw the Defense give up a 5 play, 75 yard score followed by a 6 play, 75 yard score. And they looked pedestrian on both drives. Lots of cushion. Couldn't cover the RB on routes.

It's OK to question that stretch of performances without automatically being dubbed a pessimist. There's way more high draft picks and contracts on that side of the ball.

And we all remember how most of those same guys couldn't stop the Colts at home to make the playoffs or stop the Bears at home last year to make the playoffs.

Top 10 or Top 5 in most statistical categories is nice. Actually Impacting the Game with Turnovers, 3 & Outs to flip Field Position, momentum changing sacks. These are things Elite Defenses do.

I'm starting to see the TOs and sacks. The Defense is flashing greatness. But it's not consistent yet and until it is I will remain critical based on recent meltdowns.
You can certainly point those things out...  but it's ridiculous that we had twice as many threads complaining about something they didn't like in the game compared to a handful praising the team or certain players.

Like literally a few hours after the game, I see WTF thread, this thread, Elf needs to get replaced, etc.

This place is getting too full of crusty, angry old men.  I'll bow out now...  I'm going to keep smiling about our win and let the rest of you carry on.

:-D

Interesting to hear in Zimmer's PC today, he mentioned Jeffries had lots of catches but not many yards.  And then he said that was according to plan.  So yes, Zimmer had his guys playing off to limit Jeffries.  He also mentioned taking away Ertz and that Waynes played well.