Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Report: Vikings, Kyle Rudolph cut off extension talks
Quote: @StickyBun said:
JMO, but I think the Vikings are pretty ok with Tyler Conklin in Rudolph's role this year, Morgan is one of the best blocking TEs in the NFL (and underrated catching) and then 2nd round pick Irv Smith Jr. and whatever he might bring his rookie year. They won't be missing much without Rudolph, IMO. 

Minnesota needs that cap room. 
Conklin? Based on his 5-catch rookie season or his so-so college career that led to being picked in round 5? I have little expectation for Conklin and if the Vikings did, why would they have picked Smith? 

Quote: @kmillard said:
I hope they hold onto Rudolph for this year. He can still play. I am not so sure about Everson Griffen, if I am GM I am looking in that direction if I want to clear 8 million in cap.
The reason Griffen's cap hit is only $8 million is that he already restructured only 2 months ago.  And from 2014-17 he was far more dominant than Rudy.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-and-e...507159402/

I also want Rudy back this year just for stability.  As talented as Irv Smith is, not sure I'd trust him as the #1 TE just yet.  I think this year the Vikings are up against the cap with nowhere to go without hurting the team. Next year could be the fire sale (Rudy, Griffen, Reiff, Rhodes/Waynes, etc...)

trade tready for a 4t in next years draft and 7 mill is freed up i think

Quote: @kmillard said:
I hope they hold onto Rudolph for this year. He can still play. I am not so sure about Everson Griffen, if I am GM I am looking in that direction if I want to clear 8 million in cap.
Beat me to it...

Rudolph's problem is he doesn't play D, QB  (or WR) 

Quote: @RS Express said:
@kmillard said:
The reason Griffen's cap hit is only $8 million is that he already restructured only 2 months ago.  And from 2014-17 he was far more dominant than Rudy.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-and-e...507159402/

I also want Rudy back this year just for stability.  As talented as Irv Smith is, not sure I'd trust him as the #1 TE just yet.  I think this year the Vikings are up against the cap with nowhere to go without hurting the team. Next year could be the fire sale (Rudy, Griffen, Reiff, Rhodes/Waynes, etc...)
Spotrac claims that the Vikings are slated to have $17 million in cap space next year, though I'm not sure how much of the current roster is covered in that projection since Bradburry hasn't been signed yet and Waynes is in the last year of his deal. Re-signing Waynes is one way they could free up some cap room this year, but they complicated things by drafting Hughes in the 1st round last year, so I assume he's the plan at CB for 2020. Alexander's deal also expires after this year, he would be cheaper to retain than Waynes, but hard to say what happens there. I really don't like their strategy of spending high picks on corners with the intent of them never reaching their second contract, which is why I still hate the Hughes pick even if he did flash some potential before getting hurt. Maybe Hughes makes his second contract, but drafting him basically meant they would need to move on from Waynes and neglect other areas of the roster. I wouldn't expect things to change with Rhodes, but he did have a rough season, which was hopefully due to being banged up and not a sign of an early decline.

As for the 2020 cap, I agree that some big names like Rudolph, Griffen, Reiff, & Waynes/Alexander are likely to be gone. I could also see players like Joseph and Rhodes being candidates to restructure. They at least have Smith as a potential replacement for Rudolph, even if they are very different styles of TE. Weatherly could fill in for Griffen, though he'll be a FA too, so unless one of the other developmental DEs makes a huge leap, then that will be a top draft priority. Then CB will also be a need, though the degree of which will depend on if they can retain Alexander and if Holton Hill can stay out of trouble & keep developing. Reiff will be tough, since I was hoping that they'd draft an OT prospect in the early rounds. Bradburry is a great scheme fit, but it's hard not to wonder if drafting Dillard would have been better for the cap in the short term. O'Neill may be able to transition to LT, but even if he does, they'll still need to a find a starting RT.

I don't feel that it will be a fire sale, but there will be some big holes in the roster to fill and it will be harder to do it through FA. We just need to hope they get lucky and can develop some cheap alternatives to some of those players, because it will be hard to address all of those needs in the draft next year. Teams have figured out ways to do it, but the Vikings are now in a phase of figuring out how to maintain their roster, because they can no longer afford to keep everyone.