Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Someone posted some of the Vikings late round picks
ok i get the pissed off tradind down. 5 years from now we’ll have the luxuray of hindsight but last tonight we did make a 3rd round selection. Its not like we traded out of day 2 for the entire 7th round. 

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@VikingOracle said:
You could also look at that list and see that the Vikes are getting better with their late round picks.......
Based on some of the recent ones still being on the roster? See if any stick around more than Two years. Recent picks always fill out special teams, but get bumped after a couple years if they don’t progress as position players.
2016:
 Morgan (6th round) is a very valuable member of the team and important for the running game.  Weatherly (7th) -- do I need to make an argument about him? Kearse (7th) a good backup that gets on the field.

2017: Johnson (4th) seems like a valuable player. Gedeon has been a starter since his rookie year albeit with a limited role. Isadora (5th) make it or break it year.  Odenigbo (7th) make or break.  Elijah Woods (7th) might be a player, albeit for the 49ers: (https://ninernoise.com/2019/01/17/49ers-linebacker-elijah-lee-role-2019/). Tocho (7th) make it or break year with the Steelers.

2018: Holmes (4th), Conklin (4th), Aruna (6th), Downs (7th) all too early to tell though Holmes seems like a keeper so far.  I previously posted about Carlson in this thread.  Gossett (6th) is interesting case.  He actually started games his rookie year, albeit with the Cardinals.  https://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2018/12/15/18142052/is-colby-gossett-the-long-term-answer-at-left-guard

So, I would maintain the recent drafts show more than picks merely staying on the roster for special teams purposes.  I think it is very defendable to say the Vikes are getting better at drafting in the later rounds.

Quote: @AGRforever said:
ok i get the pissed off tradind down. 5 years from now we’ll have the luxuray of hindsight but last tonight we did make a 3rd round selection. Its not like we traded out of day 2 for the entire 7th round. 
we had the very last pick of round three. We basically traded out of the round.

I get why he does it. What I don't get is how he consistently does better with UDFAs than he does with late round picks.

Quote: @FSUVike said:
I get why he does it. What I don't get is how he consistently does better with UDFAs than he does with late round picks.
This. I would sooner go after the top of the draft and take my chances with all the UDFA's. 

Even Zim doesn’t like it folks...
Q: How is Coach Zimmer doing, with only offensive players being selected?
A: Coach Zimmer was actually very happy we got the offense going, but also every time we do trade back it’s irritating to him. But he knows we’re going to get some really good players tomorrow. He was ready to unplug the phones again, like he is every year. Wink B)
https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/4/27/18519452/minnesota-vikings-rick-spielman-2019-nfl-draft

I think the UDFAs are on Zimmer more than anything.

They come in a huge group and work out in  front of him. Zimmer could probably tell you which UDFAs are better than the draft picks after a couple workouts. I think Spielman relies heavily on the staff opinions over these workouts.