Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Someone posted some of the Vikings late round picks

Yup...Quantity over quality.  

Ravens dump their 6's and 7's to pull another 3rd or 4th.

but Spielman has to get to ten...every year

If we could find another Diggs value i would be happy.

You could also look at that list and see that the Vikes are getting better with their late round picks.......

Quote: @VikingOracle said:
You could also look at that list and see that the Vikes are getting better with their late round picks.......
What was your favorite Daniel Carlson moment?

2014:

5. Yankee
6. Exum
6. James

2015:

4. TJ Clemmings
5. Pruitt
5. Diggs
6. Thompson

2016:

4. Beavers
5. Brothers

2017:

4. Johnson
4. Gideon
5. Isadora

2018:

4. Holmes
5. Conklin
5. Carlson

Its kind of a quality through quantity approach. Historically you cant expect late picks to be reliable players - this list has a lot of busts on it. Every team in the league has a list that looks like this. For every late round star is a late round faulure who gets cut out of camp.

But not many teams have this many shots at getting one right either. The misses are mitigated with guys who make the roster.

I'd agree that trading back into multiple 6s or 7s is pretty worthless thou...

I dug into this during a slow day last winter. Short summary: Vikings have made more day 3 picks than any team in the NFL since 2011, but only have 2 starters (Stefon Diggs, Ben Gedeon) to show for it, which is the 3rd-worst percentage in the league.

https://vikefans.com/vfforums/discussion...cks#latest
Unless Spielman is busily packaging some of those late picks into something with actual value (like an early pick in round 4), it's most likely a waste.

Clemmings and Beavers are worse than all the others combined because they were 4th rounders. Not many teams hit on picks in rounds 5 thru 7. They're just guesses. Every team is guessing and so the notion of "value" is irrelevant. And the more "guesses" you have the better. So I get what he's doing, but he's got to find more success with those picks than he has in order to justify doing it every year.  

Quote: @VikingOracle said:
Based on some of the recent ones still being on the roster? See if any stick around more than Two years. Recent picks always fill out special teams, but get bumped after a couple years if they don’t progress as position players.

Quote: @RS Express said:
@VikingOracle said:
What was your favorite Daniel Carlson moment?
That is a funny example to pick as I would argue that Carlson is an example of a potentially good pick meeting bad coaching:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/12/20/how-raiders-kicker-daniel-carlson-re-ignited-his-nfl-career/

https://247sports.com/nfl/oakland-raiders/Article/Daniel-Carlson-Oakland-Raiders-underrated-hero-127987904/

"As it turns out, this move by Gruden was downright brilliant as Carlson became the most reliable kicker in the league, bar none. He made all four of his extra point attempts in week eight, missed one of his two attempted field goals in week nine, and then rattled off 15 consecutive kicks without a miss to finish the season. Carlson also made every single extra point he attempted in 2018. Very impressive production for a player that had been a castoff after week two."