Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rudy And The Pick Six
Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
Rudy has a fat cap number that will be in play for the 2019 season. Morgan is back and Conklin can catch. 'Nuff said. 
Rudy will be back. He's signed through '19 and his cap number next year is no bigger than it has been the last four. I think Rudy finds a way to retire a Viking. 
51 catches for 493 yards and 2 TDs? Pedestrian as hell. If the Vikings want to get real this offseason and truly improve the team, start with this guy. 
Not sure what you expect from a TE with the best receiving duo in the NFL. There are only so many balls to go around.

But let's say we break all precedence and fail to honor the last year of Rudy's contract and we release him, going into 2019 with Morgan and Conklin as our tight ends. I like those guys a lot, but neither is a #1 TE, at least not yet.

But let's say we even replace Rudy by drafting a TE in the 1st round. Unlikely, but who knows? Here are all the TEs drafted in the 1st round, and their first year stats, since we drafted Rudolph. 

Hayden Hurst - 10 catches, 102 yards, 1 TD 
OJ Howard - 26, 432, 6
Evan Engram - 64, 722, 6
David NJoku - 32, 386, 4
Eric Ebron - 25, 248, 1
Tyler Eifert - 39, 445, 2

No, keep Rudolph, honor the last year of his contract and decide what to do the following year. I think the odds are good he signs a team-friendly deal that keeps him here. He's a big part of the community. 

It was all on Cousins----with the Db being the only one in position to make that catch he needed to recognize it and burn that one into the dirt.  watch the tape Rudy is not anywhere near making that interference/play to allow the catch or defend the return on a Db that is basically playing press.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
Rudy has a fat cap number that will be in play for the 2019 season. Morgan is back and Conklin can catch. 'Nuff said. 
Rudy will be back. He's signed through '19 and his cap number next year is no bigger than it has been the last four. I think Rudy finds a way to retire a Viking. 
51 catches for 493 yards and 2 TDs? Pedestrian as hell. If the Vikings want to get real this offseason and truly improve the team, start with this guy. 
As bad as our oline has been pushed around requiring our TEs to block a lot more than  most teams and you think his performance is pedestrian?  I think we will have to disagree here.  In fact I don't think they will get rid of him but I can see an extension with a smaller cap  number and another year or two added on.

Amen jimmy---he has been held in to block for long periods and then asked to slip out in a route but by then Cousins as had to move off his spot and no longer as thew luxury of checking on late developing routes 

With Morgan missing time, and our bad line, Rudy has spent way more time helping block this year.  A perennial whipping boy for some, but is a valuable and unselfish part of the team.

Quote: @"greediron" said:
With Morgan missing time, and our bad line, Rudy has spent way more time helping block this year.  A perennial whipping boy for some, but is a valuable and unselfish part of the team.
I think we may be underestimating the return of Morgan. I think I heard that some were calling him the best blocking tight end in the NFL earlier this year. I'd like to give all the credit to Stef, and I haven't re-watched the game, but it could be that Morgan had something to do with our new found run game. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"greediron" said:
I think we may be underestimating the return of Morgan. I think I heard that some were calling him the best blocking tight end in the NFL earlier this year. I'd like to give all the credit to Stef, and I haven't re-watched the game, but it could be that Morgan had something to do with our new found run game. 
I think it was mixed from what I remember.  I recall one that looked like he lost his footing and then I think another that sprung Cook for a big gain.  He certainly will help.