Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rudy And The Pick Six
I assume the Pick Six was on Rudy for not blocking.  Am I right on that or was there something that Cousins did wrong?

i saw that too looked like a very shallow route.  Still it was on Cousins he only had one read 

Who was the safety on that play? That guy was wide open with no one between him and the end zone. Was Rudy the safety on that one. Then I'll blame him.

In seriousness. I'll bet Kirk knew he was toast right after he released it. Got to be more aware. He made up for it though.

On the radio they called out rudy for not blocking. Said it was a hot route and he needs to know he has to block that route because it is guaranteed 6 the other way

It looked to me like Rudy blew the block.  If the goal was to fake the tunnel screen and then throw deep, then Rudy executed it properly (faking a block then releasing).  But since it was supposed to be a screen, he NEEDED to (somehow) get in that guy's way.

I think Cousins explains it (politely with out throwing Rudy under the bus) in his post game interview.
First Cousins says something like, you saw what happened and then Cousins basically said the man is supposed to be blocked or "influenced" and he wasn't.  It's bang bang play and when the defender anticipates the play and isn't "influenced" you get a pick 6.

Cousins has to clean up the turnovers big time. Our offense gives up as many points as the defense it seems this year.

Quote: @"Mike Olson" said:
On the radio they called out rudy for not blocking. Said it was a hot route and he needs to know he has to block that route because it is guaranteed 6 the other way
It definitely was on Rudy to do something there.  I have to believe the play design was for him to at least get in the way a little bit.  Kirk just caught the shotgun snapped and threw it right away.  Hard to say if he even saw the DB at all as he most likely was looking at Diggs.  I imagine the QB is expecting that DB to be delayed in some way.
Having said that, it would be nice if Cousins would see that stuff and just not throw it or throw it in the dirt.  That would be great if he could do those kinds of things even if the play may not be his fault.

The DB was to close to the LOS IMO to get influenced...play should have been changed or thrown away,  rudy would have had to make a diving tackle to get to the defender at the snap the way I saw it.  Save those plays for off coverage or at least a 5 yard cushion.