Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ok, just a thought about sports names
North Stars was an epic name... the Wild is not only "meh" as a name, but I swear they swiped their logo from the "Wild Thing" roller coaster at ValleyFair  :p 

Timberwolves is a great name that the franchise itself has utterly embarrassed. 

Quote: @"Vikergirl" said:
@"HappyViking" said:
@"Purplewhizz" said:
@"kmillard" said:
The Wild name just does not cut it for me. Twin cities were stupid as all they had to do was petition the league when the North Stars left and all the history and name could have stayed with the city. Of course the Minneapolis mafia has never been very forward thinking. Timberwolves has just been associated with too much losing. Vikings are awesome.
Maybe, but it should have been clear to us when that bastard Norm Green changed the logo and dropped the “north” from the jereseys two years before they left, that something was up.

Whatever, Im over with it now since its been something like 25 years ago.
Yeah, then those sneaky f#$kers in Dallas won the cup.

I'm just glad they didn't win it with the North Stars name.  Loved that team.  I actually was hoping the new Minnesota team would be named the North Stars. 

The Wild are growing on me for sure, but there's nothing like your first love, I guess.  B)
Losing the hockey team was brutal. It was like having your heart ripped out. My memories with the North Stars are strong. It took some time to warm up to the Wild but it was something I could share with my son because it was new so that helped. I love hockey so it was inevitable. Oh yeah Fuck Norm Green. 
if im not mistaken, the North Stars were the last
part of the Herchel trade

Never cared for "Wild". It's an adjective, not a noun, I mean, what's a wild? I feel the same way about other names such as the "Heat"

OK, then there are the just so stupid names like the White Sox and the Red Sox. Really? You name yourselves after undergarments?  How about the "Chicago Wifebeaters" or the "Boston Briefs"?  .....  The Reds? Is that like the Browns? 
There are the ill-fitting names when teams move: the Utah Jazz?  The Jazz name should have stayed in N.O.  Utah should have changed the name to the Utah Tabernacle Choir.  The Los Angeles Lakers? It's a desert out there. There are no lakes. Leave that name in Minnesota.  The L.A. Stars would have made more sense considering the entertainment business is there.
When the Houston Oilers left for Tennessee they became the Tennessee Titans. Never liked it.  "Titans" seemed too close to "Titanic."  I cannot believe announcers haven't jumped on that whenever Tennessee is having a horrible season to say that "the Titans have hit an iceberg;" "this ship is taking on water;" "the Titans's ship is sinking."  As an homage to the old cartoon I wanted them to call themselves the "Tennessee Tuxedos" and use the cartoon penguin as the logo. That would have instantly been my second favorite team.
Carolina took the name Panthers. But Panther is the same as Cougar - except without the awesome double entendre. I would have gone with "Cougars." Then, every home game, during the many time-outs and dead times, I would have the camera guys pan the stadium looking for the other type of cougar and show them on the big screen. Missed opportunity.

With a name as the "Vikings" and sporting the horns for the state of Minnesota and surrounding regions.  That's a name that reaches out and snatches you up due to the overwhelming nationalities of German and Scandinavian heritages.  Whoever came up with that title, knew what they were doing to represent the people.

I am not a fan of the name The Wild, just like someone else said, Heat Magic Jazz etc. what is a Wild?  How can you have a mascot ? etc.  I love the Vikings name, Twins fit perfectly, T Wolves is good too.  When the North Stars left for Dallas there was a rumor that they would be called the Dallas Lone Stars, which would fit perfectly too.
As a Boston fan, Bruins is a great name, Celtics is quite possibly the best name of any pro sport team name for the region it lives in. Patriots fits great as well, Red Sox.... well... I guess its better than the Pilgrims 

Quote: @"dadevike" said:
OK, then there are the just so stupid names like the White Sox and the Red Sox. Really? You name yourselves after undergarments?  How about the "Chicago Wifebeaters" or the "Boston Briefs"?  .....  The Reds? Is that like the Browns? 

The Red Sox and White Sox were were named as such because they were identified by the color of their stockings. Likewise the Reds were originally the Red Stockings, so it's not as stupid as it may seem. They may have been the "Briefs" only if they had actually worn briefs on the outside of their uniform. That would be stupid.

Quote: @"muydnbejydk" said:
The Red Sox and White Sox were were named as such because they were identified by the color of their stockings. Likewise the Reds were originally the Red Stockings, so it's not as stupid as it may seem. They may have been the "Briefs" only if they had actually worn briefs on the outside of their uniform. That would be stupid.
Yeah, I figured that was the case, but it's still pretty inexcusable. We're lucky we don't have the Detroit Short-sleeves, the Oakland Green Shoes, and the Cleveland Cut-Offs.

Quote: @"suncoastvike" said:
I never liked the name Wild. Not particularly regional like Vikings, Twins and Timberwolves. I agree with Iceratz. The North Stars was a more fitting regional name that I never really got over losing. It would have been cool if we could have worked out a deal like Cleveland did with the Browns and kept the name and history in Minnesota while they waited to get a expansion team.

Sure, but keep in mind that "Browns" might be the worst team name in any league. They are named for their first owner - imagine if our baseball team was the Minnesota Griffiths. Worse, their name suggests crap, they have no real mascot, and poor colors. No way were they going to keep using that name in Baltimore...Modell was probably laughing at that settlement!

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"suncoastvike" said:
I never liked the name Wild. Not particularly regional like Vikings, Twins and Timberwolves. I agree with Iceratz. The North Stars was a more fitting regional name that I never really got over losing. It would have been cool if we could have worked out a deal like Cleveland did with the Browns and kept the name and history in Minnesota while they waited to get a expansion team.

Sure, but keep in mind that "Browns" might be the worst team name in any league. They are named for their first owner - imagine if our baseball team was the Minnesota Griffiths. Worse, their name suggests crap, they have no real mascot, and poor colors. No way were they going to keep using that name in Baltimore...Modell was probably laughing at that settlement!
You're right. Why they fought for that...lol. However it sucks it is their traditions, records and name. They did have Jim Brown and a couple pre Super Bowl NFL championships. The North Stars name and Stanley cup finals would have been better then starting over from scratch as The Wild. Just my opinion.