Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ok, just a thought about sports names
I think Minnesota sports names are the best in the country.  The Wild (man, they are playing well) The Timberwolves and The Vikings—great names that are evocative, exciting and speak to the mistique of that part of the country.  Who can get excited about worn out names like Lions, Bears, Rams, Cardinals etc.  Or positively stupid names like Packers, Giants, Jets,Browns and many others.  What do the mean or evoke?  i kinda like the Bengals because its unusual and cool and the Patriots because it has historical significance in New England (even more when it was Boston Patriots).  but overall—i think we got the best names!!

Totally subjective and quite biased, but I would agree with you on most of this.  However, the Wild is the dumbest name IMO.  Maybe it's because I'm still pissed and baffled that the North Stars left, which may have been one of the better names, IMO.

I never liked the name Wild. Not particularly regional like Vikings, Twins and Timberwolves. I agree with Iceratz. The North Stars was a more fitting regional name that I never really got over losing. It would have been cool if we could have worked out a deal like Cleveland did with the Browns and kept the name and history in Minnesota while they waited to get a expansion team.

Yup -- North Stars as franchise name rocked...

I do like the Vikings as a branding for the area team, even Twins. 

Wish Naegle would have gone with North Stars - RIP to both of them. 

I agree that the North Stars was a great name.  The Dallas Stars just never cut it.  But knowing we couldnt get that name back, I love The Wild as a name.  Fits with Timberwolves too.  

Quote: @Caactorvike said:
I think Minnesota sports names are the best in the country.  The Wild (man, they are playing well) The Timberwolves and The Vikings—great names that are evocative, exciting and speak to the mistique of that part of the country.  Who can get excited about worn out names like Lions, Bears, Rams, Cardinals etc.  Or positively stupid names like Packers, Giants, Jets,Browns and many others.  What do the mean or evoke?  i kinda like the Bengals because its unusual and cool and the Patriots because it has historical significance in New England (even more when it was Boston Patriots).  but overall—i think we got the best names!!
Now THAT is a post of the year candidate!  B)

The Wild name just does not cut it for me. Twin cities were stupid as all they had to do was petition the league when the North Stars left and all the history and name could have stayed with the city. Of course the Minneapolis mafia has never been very forward thinking. Timberwolves has just been associated with too much losing. Vikings are awesome.

Quote: @kmillard said:
The Wild name just does not cut it for me. Twin cities were stupid as all they had to do was petition the league when the North Stars left and all the history and name could have stayed with the city. Of course the Minneapolis mafia has never been very forward thinking. Timberwolves has just been associated with too much losing. Vikings are awesome.
Maybe, but it should have been clear to us when that bastard Norm Green changed the logo and dropped the “north” from the jereseys two years before they left, that something was up.

Whatever, Im over with it now since its been something like 25 years ago.

Quote: @Purplewhizz said:
@kmillard said:
Maybe, but it should have been clear to us when that bastard Norm Green changed the logo and dropped the “north” from the jereseys two years before they left, that something was up.

Yeah, then those sneaky f#$kers in Dallas won the cup.

I'm just glad they didn't win it with the North Stars name.  Loved that team.  I actually was hoping the new Minnesota team would be named the North Stars. 

The Wild are growing on me for sure, but there's nothing like your first love, I guess.  B)

Quote: @HappyViking said:
@Purplewhizz said:
@kmillard said:

Yeah, then those sneaky f#$kers in Dallas won the cup.

I'm just glad they didn't win it with the North Stars name.  Loved that team.  I actually was hoping the new Minnesota team would be named the North Stars. 

The Wild are growing on me for sure, but there's nothing like your first love, I guess.  B)
Losing the hockey team was brutal. It was like having your heart ripped out. My memories with the North Stars are strong. It took some time to warm up to the Wild but it was something I could share with my son because it was new so that helped. I love hockey so it was inevitable. Oh yeah Fuck Norm Green.