Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reiff To Return, Hill To Return To The Right Side
Quote: @"minny65" said:
As predicted during preseason.  O'Neill will replace Hill at RT early in the year.  Hill is not a starting Tackle.  

I also predicted that O'Neill will eventually be a starting LT after Reiff's contract runs out.  We will see about that one.  

Looks to be a very nice draft pick in the late second round to find a starting Tackle.  O'Neill was the 3rd Tackle taken in the draft after McGlintey and then Kolton Miller.  We passed on a couple Guards (that many were screaming for, like Hernandez with the Giants) and found a starting Tackle which are much harder to find in the draft.     
Before we crown this kid. Remember TJ Clemmings was a starting tackle as well. Im not saying Oneill is terrible just that lets be cautiously optomistic. 

Here I was all fired up to ask, "Why?  Just why?"  And then I see you "pulled a Sticky".  
Well, at least O'Neill IS starting.  That's what matters.

Quote: @"pumpf" said:
Here I was all fired up to ask, "Why?  Just why?"  And then I see you "pulled a Sticky".  
Well, at least O'Neill IS starting.  That's what matters.
Ha, I thought the same thing pumpf. I read Barr's title as Hill was moving back to RT and starting. Glad that's not the case.

Quote: @"AGRforever" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
This is really huge when you think about it. Not that he's starting, that he's a developmental player who's proven himself capable of starting so early on. 6-7, long arms, 4.8 forty. Could be a franchise player if he keep getting bigger, stronger and better.  
I mean it could all be that. Or our OL could be so bad that it just didnt take much to get a starting roll. 
I think that's fair, also. Hard to say for sure. Obviously we are all hoping O'Neill becomes an excellent player and never looks back from this point on.

@"MaroonBells" said:
This is really huge when you think about it. Not that he's starting, that he's a developmental player who's proven himself capable of starting so early on. 6-7, long arms, 4.8 forty. Could be a franchise player if he keep getting bigger, stronger and better.  
I mean it could all be that. Or our OL could be so bad that it just didnt take much to get a starting roll. 
It's not like we don't have eyes. O'Neill has looked pretty good. No, it doesn't really mean anything, but his remarkable athleticism and work ethic bode well for the future. 

@"minny65" said:
As predicted during preseason.  O'Neill will replace Hill at RT early in the year.  Hill is not a starting Tackle.  

I also predicted that O'Neill will eventually be a starting LT after Reiff's contract runs out.  We will see about that one.  

Looks to be a very nice draft pick in the late second round to find a starting Tackle.  O'Neill was the 3rd Tackle taken in the draft after McGlintey and then Kolton Miller.  We passed on a couple Guards (that many were screaming for, like Hernandez with the Giants) and found a starting Tackle which are much harder to find in the draft.     
Before we crown this kid. Remember TJ Clemmings was a starting tackle as well. Im not saying Oneill is terrible just that lets be cautiously optomistic. 
Just wanted to point out that my preseason projection of O'Neill was accurate.  There were a ton of fellow PT'ers who just read the analyst reports about him needing a year maybe two to build up strength etc.  Well, watching him in preseason was enough for me to see that he was better then Hill and would be taking his spot early into the season.   But it is more enjoyable, to me at least, to look at some positive projections and watch them come to fruition.  So I am crowning O'Neill as better then Hill and TJ Clemming combined Smile  
I am also going to early crown him as our starting LT in about 2 years.  More fun this way then waiting for something bad to happen.   

Good thread, I'm enjoying reading this. I'll give MaroonBells some more credit on his thoughts on OTs in the NFL as I just read some insider info from scouts and GMs in some article recently that basically said what MB has mentioned about the position. The gist of it is that drafting offensive tackles in today's NFL is really dicey. Its very hard to know how they'll transition with the top notch players at DE today and they look for ATHLETICISM UPSIDE. It so important today to have athletic OTs. Very, very hard to find. O'Neill is an exceptional athlete and was drafted for his upside: it appears (very early yet) that not only is he athletic, he's a quick learner. In 2020, O'Neill could very well be the best player on the OL (probably LT). Elflein is a great center and I love how he plays. But Brian O'Neill COULD be one of these special dudes in time. He's also very feisty, something that doesn't get talked about much. 

Offensive Line played very well today.  Gave up only one hit on Cousins - the sack by Ziggy blowing past Isadora.  Some nice run lanes as well.  Of course, could be better but we are trending in the right direction.  With Elf back 100%, O'Neill in for Hill at RT, and Reiff back at LT we are going to see incremental improvement moving forward...like we did today.  

the guard play is still under par but at least the tackles and center looked good.

Quote: @"minny65" said:
Offensive Line played very well today.  Gave up only one hit on Cousins - the sack by Ziggy blowing past Isadora.  Some nice run lanes as well.  Of course, could be better but we are trending in the right direction.  With Elf back 100%, O'Neill in for Hill at RT, and Reiff back at LT we are going to see incremental improvement moving forward...like we did today.  
Yup.  Good to see them play well.  Good to see O'Neill put someone on their ass as well.  Little bit of fire.