Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone Else Enjoying The Steelers Implosion?
Quote: @greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
@greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
@greediron said:
@pumpf said:
Yep.  Sign a bunch of divas... and then reap what you sow.
and a diva for a coach.  So glad we didn't get stuck with him.  I thought he was a great DC, but he has turned out to be a disaster as a HC.
Wait, are you talking about Tomlin, or did I miss a post? Tomlin's been head coach of that team for 11 years. Won a Super Bowl. Coach of the Year. Over that time, how many years did that team not go to the playoffs? I don't remember too many. Disaster? 
Didn't he win with Cower's roster?  And has been in steady decline since?  He is the worst type of coach.  Good enough to stay employed and drag it on forever.  An emotional drama filled Jeff Fisher. 

The team has offensive talent in Ben, AB and Bell, but Tomlin has run that defense into the ground.  I would rather have a Frazier debacle followed by Zimmer than 11 years of mediocre crap.  Yes they won a SB.  So did Chucky. 
Bill Cower hasn't been coach of that team since 2006. He had no more impact on the Steelers' 13-3 season last year than Mike Tice had on ours. 
Let's look at the math.  2018 -11 = 2007.  So yes, that was still Cower's roster when they won it following the 08 season.    That was the last SB win. 

Tomlin can inspire, he is emotional and can lead for a time.  But IMO that type of coach can't sustain a roster.  The uneven emotional handling of the roster doesn't create a longterm winning lockerroom.  Kind of like Seattle.  They won on emotion, but they also lost on emotion.  And now when they aren't the bullies, they are horrible.

Obviously he won a SB in the NFL, so he can coach and lead.  But he isn't the type of coach I want, hence I am glad we didn't get stuck with him.  Too emotional and no accountability.
Cowher last coached in 2006. And it's not like he was the GM who made all the personnel decisions. That was Kevin Colbert. Sorry Greed, the last thing I want to debate is the merits of Steeler coaching staffs, but I have to call out batshit crazy when I sees it. And I sees it. We're not talking about a guy who has had 1 or 2 years of success. He's coached that team for ELEVEN seasons and made the playoffs EIGHT of those years, has a record of 116-60 and a Super Bowl ring. You may not like him; he may be struggling with some personalities right now, as all coaches do; but you can't objectively say that his tenure as head coach as been a "disaster." It's just like QBs. Everybody sees things in "now" snapshots without considering context. Oh, Derek Carr is an elite QB. People sure seemed to think he was two years ago. Matt Ryan is god awful. Well he his "now," but he was league MVP two years ago. Gruden is a 100 million dollar genius. Is he? Was he ever? Belichick is a genius. Let's see how he does without Tom Brady. Andy Reid is a genius. Then he's an idiot. Now he's a genius again. Just makes my head spin. 

Well, he’s only 8-7 in the playoffs w/ some pretty talented teams... & has made some pretty glaring coaching errors in the playoffs as well. He’s sort of the Mike McCarthy of the AFC.  Wink B)
You know, long tenure w/ a HOF QB(s), & only 1 ring.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@greediron said:
Let's look at the math.  2018 -11 = 2007.  So yes, that was still Cower's roster when they won it following the 08 season.    That was the last SB win. 

Tomlin can inspire, he is emotional and can lead for a time.  But IMO that type of coach can't sustain a roster.  The uneven emotional handling of the roster doesn't create a longterm winning lockerroom.  Kind of like Seattle.  They won on emotion, but they also lost on emotion.  And now when they aren't the bullies, they are horrible.

Obviously he won a SB in the NFL, so he can coach and lead.  But he isn't the type of coach I want, hence I am glad we didn't get stuck with him.  Too emotional and no accountability.
Cowher last coached in 2006. And it's not like he was the GM who made all the personnel decisions. That was Kevin Colbert. Sorry Greed, the last thing I want to debate is the merits of Steeler coaching staffs, but I have to call out batshit crazy when I sees it. And I sees it. We're not talking about a guy who has had 1 or 2 years of success. He's coached that team for ELEVEN seasons and made the playoffs EIGHT of those years, has a record of 116-60 and a Super Bowl ring. You may not like him; he may be struggling with some personalities right now, as all coaches do; but you can't objectively say that his tenure as head coach as been a "disaster." It's just like QBs. Everybody sees things in "now" snapshots without considering context. Oh, Derek Carr is an elite QB. People sure seemed to think he was two years ago. Matt Ryan is god awful. Well he his "now," but he was league MVP two years ago. Gruden is a 100 million dollar genius. Is he? Was he ever? Belichick is a genius. Let's see how he does without Tom Brady. Andy Reid is a genius. Then he's an idiot. Now he's a genius again. Just makes my head spin. 
Much of the same can be said for Jeff Fisher.  But I wouldn't want him.  Ask those empty seats how they feel?  I think he would have been a disaster here.  We didn't have a great roster that would have allowed him to win right away.  Cower/Colbert, the point is the same.  Chucky won with Dungy's roster (and the GM). 

I am not the "in the now" guy.  I thought we let a good one get away when he left for Pittsburgh, but after a few years it was obvious that we lucked out in not getting him.  His defenses have been a disaster.  The offenses have talent but he has gone through quite a few offensive coordinators.  Some left because they were great (while the defenses were bad) and some left because of conflict. 

So, no I am not batshit crazy.  I wouldn't want a coach that is an emotional nut like Tomlin.  The roster gets worse because lack of discipline drives away the good players and rewards the talented but crazy.

It’s pretty early to be burying the Steelers, isn’t it?

Quote: @Purplewhizz said:
It’s pretty early to be burying the Steelers, isn’t it?
Agreed. Like I said, I'll wait and see if they miss the playoffs....somehow I don't think so. 

It's 2 games, check back midseason and then there might be something to it. 

So Tomlin is crappy because he only won one SB.  I wish so badly that the Vikings had a coach that crappy. Wink