Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"He'd be the first to kneel"
Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
I tend to think if Kaepernick were not a person of color protesting racial injustice--if he were, say, a white man kneeling in protest of elder abuse or puppy mills, nobody would have a problem with it. This isn't about the flag or the anthem. Those are just symbols, not unlike a football jersey, we use to show our support. But at the end of the day, it's mostly empty. How many flags have we worn as bandanas, how many times have we put mustard on our hot dogs while the anthem is playing? I don't see too many folks bitching about that. REAL patriotism is about understanding and appreciating and protecting what those things represent: like freedom, the freedom of speech, due process, the freedom to protest peacefully. Those are the things that make America great, not a piece of cloth or a song. 
If you believe that, then that would explain the vast divide in our country.  I couldn't care less what color his skin is.  There are a bunch of things (I'm not going to waste the time to list them now) about Kaepernich; but none of them have anything to do with his skin color.  But, I guess since I am bothered by those things, I am automatically a racist.  I can't understand why anyone would want to go through life assuming the worst in others.