Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"He'd be the first to kneel"
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/...edirect=on&utm_term=.20aabdfb66ef

For those that want to turn the memory of Pat Tillman into a weapon...

Tillman for me is a symbol of everything that is great and truly vile about this country. He gave up the life of a professional athlete to serve his country. He died tragically by friendly fire, and then the Army tried to cover it up so he could be their poster boy. 

and by saying that, what is he doing?

affirming what he actually fought and died for 

Or turning Pat into a weapon.  Sorry, I don't see contrasting Pat's decision to sacrifice it all with Kaep's decision to sacrifice a little and get paid a lot as "weaponizing" or using him as a political tool.  It is just showing the stupidity and irony of the Nike Ad. 

I like the memes mocking them.  Especially the Dolezal, trump and then the "just do it.  for $.23 and hour"

Beg to differ, if you think Nike's ad is stupidity you are thinking with your emotions.  It's already a homerun, brilliant strategy from Nike.  Stock price is continuing to climb back up and they've already had $163 million in free exposure due to the media.  The people that the Nike ad pissed off are mostly older, white conservatives who are not Nike consumers or their target market to begin with.  

As for Pat Tillman, I don't know if he would be the first to kneel with Kaepernick, but I can almost guarantee he wouldn't have an issue with it.  Few people are aware he was a SF bay area hippy type that leaned more liberal than conservative, and is more of a man that has a high moral belief in right vs. wrong than a blind party allegiance.  

Quote: @SFVikeFan said:
Beg to differ, if you think Nike's ad is stupidity you are thinking with your emotions.  It's already a homerun, brilliant strategy from Nike.  Stock price is continuing to climb back up and they've already had $163 million in free exposure due to the media.  The people that the Nike ad pissed off are mostly older, white conservatives who are not Nike consumers or their target market to begin with.  

As for Pat Tillman, I don't know if he would be the first to kneel with Kaepernick, but I can almost guarantee he wouldn't have an issue with it.  Few people are aware he was a SF bay area hippy type that leaned more liberal than conservative, and is more of a man that has a high moral belief in right vs. wrong than a blind party allegiance.  
That I can agree with.  And most any soldier would as well.  Fighting for the freedoms to be able to express an opinion. 

But it is funny, by him saying he would be the first to kneel, he presumes to know what Tillman would do and uses that assumption to make a political point.  Just like he is chastising others for doing.

And yes, Tillman had a strong belief in right vs. wrong.  So he probably wouldn't agree to being the face of Nike, but it is a good contrast to the idiocy of saying CK sacrificed everything.  But you are probably right, just like Trump, no publicity is bad publicity.

oh and there is this
https://morningconsult.com/form/nike-kaepernick-report/

Quote: Nike’s Favorability Drops by Double Digits:
Before the announcement, Nike had a net +69 favorable impression among
consumers, it has now declined 34 points to +35 favorable.

No Boost Among Key Demos: Among
younger generations, Nike users, African Americans, and other key
demographics, Nike’s favorability declined rather than improved.

Purchasing Consideration Also Down:
Before the announcement, 49 percent of Americans said they were
absolutely certain or very likely to buy Nike products. That figure is
down to 39 percent now.

The Effect on the NFL Seems Small, For Now: Forty
percent of consumers said Nike’s campaign does not make them more or
less likely to watch/attend NFL games — 21 percent said more likely and
26 percent said less likely (14 percent didn’t know).

I tend to think if Kaepernick were not a person of color protesting racial injustice--if he were, say, a white man kneeling in protest of elder abuse or puppy mills, nobody would have a problem with it. This isn't about the flag or the anthem. Those are just symbols, not unlike a football jersey, we use to show our support. But at the end of the day, it's mostly empty. How many flags have we worn as bandanas, how many times have we put mustard on our hot dogs while the anthem is playing? I don't see too many folks bitching about that. REAL patriotism is about understanding and appreciating and protecting what those things represent: like freedom, the freedom of speech, due process, the freedom to protest peacefully. Those are the things that make America great, not a piece of cloth or a song. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
I tend to think if Kaepernick were not a person of color protesting racial injustice--if he were, say, a white man kneeling in protest of elder abuse or puppy mills, nobody would have a problem with it. This isn't about the flag or the anthem. Those are just symbols, not unlike a football jersey, we use to show our support. But at the end of the day, it's mostly empty. How many flags have we worn as bandanas, how many times have we put mustard on our hot dogs while the anthem is playing? I don't see too many folks bitching about that. REAL patriotism is about understanding and appreciating and protecting what those things represent: like freedom, the freedom of speech, due process, the freedom to protest peacefully. Those are the things that make America great, not a piece of cloth or a song. 
Agree to an extent.  Except the flag drapes the coffins of those who have sacrificed everything to protect those freedoms. 

My issue with Kaep is that I don't believe him.  He was being a putz trying to force his way out of SF.  And IMO he made up the reason he was SITTING for the anthem.  He was continually asked why and finally made up the reason that he couldn't stand for the flag because of racial injustice.   He is dishonest and then became a poster boy for a leftist cause.  And to be paid millions to be the face of the "sacrifice everything" ad is just moronic.

Quote: @greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
Agree to an extent.  Except the flag drapes the coffins of those who have sacrificed everything to protect those freedoms. 

My issue with Kaep is that I don't believe him.  He was being a putz trying to force his way out of SF.  And IMO he made up the reason he was SITTING for the anthem.  He was continually asked why and finally made up the reason that he couldn't stand for the flag because of racial injustice.   He is dishonest and then became a poster boy for a leftist cause.  And to be paid millions to be the face of the "sacrifice everything" ad is just moronic.
I wonder if Kaep is willing to sacrifice those millions from Nike to forward his cause? To go from simply kneeling during the anthem in an NFL stadium (which he can no longer partake in anyway) to actually bringing about some real change with those dollars?? He has brought awareness to the issue. Now, how about using the money he is paid to champion that issue toward starting some real change??