Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BREAKING: Brett Jones will be the Viking's starting center Sunday
BREAKING:  OL is Vikings weakest unit.  Wink

Quote: @greediron said:

And can we refrain from using the term Breaking in reference to anything concerning the O-Line?
Oh, snap... Wink

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
I dont understand how Isidora isnt ready enough at OG to displace Compton who looked pedestrian at best in the preseason... maybe Tom thought that since the play callers didnt want to tip their hands in meaningless games that he shouldnt either?
yup

I dont understand how Isidora isnt ready enough at OG to displace Compton who looked pedestrian at best in the preseason... maybe Tom thought that since the play callers didnt want to tip their hands in meaningless games that he shouldnt either?
Maybe Compton outplays him daily in practice. That’s what I tell myself to explain why Siemian is ahead of Sloter.  

Quote: @dadevike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Maybe Compton outplays him daily in practice. That’s what I tell myself to explain why Siemian is ahead of Sloter.  
It's certainly not preseason games because Isadora outplayed him at every turn.

I think it might be the fact that Compton is more athletic than Isidora. He moves better. And that might play better into what Flip has in store. Keep in mind, the preseason is all about simple protections and straight forward blocking. Fire hydrants like Edison and Isadora are likely going to look much better doing that than the kind of dancing they'll need to do in a movement offense.   

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@dadevike said:
@JimmyinSD said:

I think it might be the fact that Compton is more athletic than Isidora. He moves better. And that might play better into what Flip has in store. Keep in mind, the preseason is all about simple protections and straight forward blocking. Fire hydrants like Edison and Isadora are likely going to look much better doing that than the kind of dancing they'll need to do in a movement offense.   
well Diggs is likely more athletic than Compton... maybe they should try him there?   :p

I get what you are saying about being able to move the feet and pull and shit,  but at the same time,  Compton needs to be able to actually drop and anchor and hold a block or drive at times and he really showed weak at conventional line play.  I like the zone blocking and the running lanes it creates,  but we cant have linemen that all they can do is pull.... at some point they need to get tough in the trenches.

@MaroonBells said:
@dadevike said:
@JimmyinSD said:

well Diggs is likely more athletic than Compton... maybe they should try him there?   :p

I get what you are saying about being able to move the feet and pull and shit,  but at the same time,  Compton needs to be able to actually drop and anchor and hold a block or drive at times and he really showed weak at conventional line play.  I like the zone blocking and the running lanes it creates,  but we cant have linemen that all they can do is pull.... at some point they need to get tough in the trenches.
Just saying that if you're looking for a reason, that's probably it. If you read the Flip interview he talked a lot about blockers moving, shielding, rubbing, on several levels. It's probably also the reason we put Edison on the practice squad and traded for an athletic lineman like Jones, despite the fact that Edison played remarkably well in the preseason. Edison might look very good in simple, straightforward blocking schemes, but Jones is probably better suited as a blocker on the move in a zone/RPO offense. And now that I think about it, that the Giants switched to a power scheme may have contributed to his being available. 

I'll be very interested to what happens when Elf returns. I suspect that Jones might just replace Compton at LG.   

@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@dadevike said:
@JimmyinSD said:

Just saying that if you're looking for a reason, that's probably it. If you read the Flip interview he talked a lot about blockers moving, shielding, rubbing, on several levels. It's probably also the reason we put Edison on the practice squad and traded for an athletic lineman like Jones, despite the fact that Edison played remarkably well in the preseason. Edison might look very good in simple, straightforward blocking schemes, but Jones is probably better suited as a blocker on the move in a zone/RPO offense. And now that I think about it, that the Giants switched to a power scheme may have contributed to his being available. 

I'll be very interested to what happens when Elf returns. I suspect that Jones might just replace Compton at LG.   
what I found interesting is that Shurm used the zone scheme here and then went the other way in NY.  I thought that was odd.  granted it might be a bit forced with what he had to work with,  but they took hernandez and traded away jones,  so I have to think he is committing to it.

@dadevike said:
@JimmyinSD said:

My thought as well.  Easton was really good at moving and getting outside or to the second level.  We probably didn't show much of that in the preseason, so it wasn't to the strengths of some guys.

I agree with this and hope this is what happens. I do not think Remmers is going back to RT. I think he stays at RG.  Still, a starting 5 of Reiff, Jones, Elf, Remmers, and Hill/O'Neill may be just fine.