Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Regardless of any perceived issues, Vikings should beat the 49ers
  • Vikings (-6) vs. 49ersThis is one of my best bets, and it's been that way since May. All due respect to the 49ers, but the Vikings are a vastly superior team in the pantheon of NFC contenders. Jimmy Garoppolo will probably be great, but the Vikings have a sick defense with pass rushers galore and Harrison Smith lurking on the back end. Minnesota is going to cut Dalvin Cook loose and show off Kirk Cousins on a big-time homefield stage.  - Will Brinson, CBS Sports

Quote: @StickyBun said:
  • Vikings (-6) vs. 49ersThis is one of my best bets, and it's been that way since May. All due respect to the 49ers, but the Vikings are a vastly superior team in the pantheon of NFC contenders. Jimmy Garoppolo will probably be great, but the Vikings have a sick defense with pass rushers galore and Harrison Smith lurking on the back end. Minnesota is going to cut Dalvin Cook loose and show off Kirk Cousins on a big-time homefield stage.  - Will Brinson, CBS Sports
Love the sound of that. Anything can happen and the 49ers are a much improved team with Jimmy G, but with McKinnon out, their backs are Alfred Morris and Matt Breida. Their receivers are pedestrian. Their OL features a rookie (McGlinchey) who was drafted way too high IMO, and Danielle Hunter should show us why. They have no real pass rushers and their secondary features has-been Richard Sherman. Opening day. At home. Really should be a laugher, but I guess that's why they play the games. 

Can't win em all unless you win the first one.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
I just want us to play well. If we're prepared and play well, but somehow lose, I'm OK. Likewise, if we're outcoached and play poorly and somehow win, I'm not OK. It's a long season and there isn't a single team on our schedule we can't beat. In 2015, we went in to San Francisco on opening weekend and got our asses kicked by a lesser team. We were clearly outcoached in that game and it still haunts me
This might help your mindset:

Andrew Krammer‏ @Andrew_Krammer 2m2 minutes ago
More
#Vikings kept 49ers prep to just one extra day, opposed to extending Week 1 planning like they had previous years, Zimmer said: "A few years ago, we started prepping earlier than what we did this week. It didn't turn out well and I felt we didn't play very good."
Who am I to question Zimmer, but I'm not sure I get his reasoning. Sounds like one I used a lot in college. Hey, I studied hard for that exam and bombed. This time, I'll go drink beer instead and hope for the best. 
IIRC, that was the late monday night game.  We were flat and lacking energy.

As to Zim's reasoning, routine seems to be a common thread.  Coaches like routine, players can get in a rhythm and are prepared for it.  Get out of that routine and they can come out flat.