Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Day 1 Of Training Camp
Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
@"Jor-El" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
I'll be interested in seeing: who lines up at the WIL, nickel, RB1, 3rd WR, C, and 3T...won't be indicative of who the eventual starters will be, but it will interesting to see who the early leaders are...

Ahhhhh...real football
Good list of the key camp battles! I would add KR and both the kicker spots - I think all 3 roles will be battling deep into preseason. Also interested to see if Waynes can emerge as full-time LCB and push Newman into dime/backup role.
I think we use preseason to see what Adams can do as a KR, but I still think it's Sherels job to lose...

Kicking competition is going to be more interesting than I care for...

I think Newman starts as nickel and eventually gives way to Alexander...
If we're placing bets, I put my money on McKinnon as KR. Jerick should be fighting for the job to enhance his value, and he has more open-field speed than Sherels.

Quote: @"RS Express" said:
McKinnon and Easton with the 1's?  Looks like Zimmer's feelings about rookies haven't changed :p
Or Easton is simply farther along at this point than Elflein, which should be no surprise to anyone. Who has the job in September is anyone's guess, but we should all be hoping it's Easton. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"RS Express" said:
McKinnon and Easton with the 1's?  Looks like Zimmer's feelings about rookies haven't changed :p
Or Easton is simply farther along at this point than Elflein, which should be no surprise to anyone. Who has the job in September is anyone's guess, but we should all be hoping it's Easton. 
curious as to why

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"RS Express" said:
curious as to why
If Easton beats out Elflein, he will have earned it, which means he will have improved enough to have beaten out a very highly regarded prospect from Ohio State. Unless you don't believe in Elflein, and I definitely do, then that says a lot. It also means that he might finally be living up to the potential the team saw in him when they traded for him. Keep in mind, he's a smart Harvard grad, and a bigger, stronger, more athletic player than Elflein. If he emerges as a player, that would be huge for us. Matt Birk, another Harvard alum, emerged as a starter his 3rd season. This is Easton's 3rd season.

It also means that Elflein could compete with Berger at right guard, a position he was better at in college, and a position Elflein himself said he was more comfortable at. Easton, who is a center-only, winning the center job gives us a better, deeper line, and a damned exciting future on the inside. 

All that said, this is a LONG way from being decided on the first day of camp. Wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Elflein there tomorrow.