Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Everson Griffen to Sign Extension This Morning
In 2019, when this contract actually kicks in, what are the chances it will be top 5 money for a DE?  In 5 years, will it be top 10?  I'm guessing that by the 1/2 way point of this new extension, we'll be looking at it as a very reasonable contract.  

Is EG really a beast vs the run game?

2016 run directions.  LER = left end runs, off left tackle.  RER = Right end runs.  

wk 1 - LE runs(Griff/sub) 4 for 16 yds.  RE runs(BRob/sub)  1 for 6 yds.
wk 2 - LER - 5 for 38 yards.  RE runs 5 for 1 yard.
wk 3 - LER - 3 for 5 yds       RER 5 for 17 yards.
wk 4 - LER  2 for 8 yds.        RER 1 for 17 yds.
wk 5 - LER 2 for 5 yds.         RER did not attempt.
bye
wk 7 - LER 6 for 25 yds        RER 2 for 4 yds.
wk 8 - LER 3 for 9 yds          RER 2 for 2 yds.
wk 9 - LER 9 for 17 yds        RER 4 for 14 yds.
wk 10 - LER 6 for 14 yds      RER 4 for 22 yds.
wk 11 - LER 4 for 15 yds      RER 4 for 23 yds.
wk 12 - LER 1 for 2 yds        RER did not attempt.
wk 13 - LER 6 for 41 yds      RER 4 for 15 yds.
wk 14 - LER 4 for 19 yds      RER 12 for 31 yds.
wk 15 - LER 6 for 31 yds      RER 5 for 22 yds.
wk 16 - LER 4 for 17 yds      RER 3 for 9 yds.
wk 17 - LER 8 for 57 yds      RER 7 for 33 yds. 

LER = 73 attempts, 517yds avg 7.08 yds per carry.  RER = 59 attempts for 216 yds, avg 3.66 yds per carry.  Seem like opponents know where to run the ball... they didn't even attempt to run at Brob in two games.  That would be considered a beast, just like the shut down corner... but he's not paid as well AND he does what asked of him by the coaches.  So that theory is shot in my mind.  Griff needs to step up and put up 2014 numbers when ZImmer was his coach and scheme master to earn this payday.  I hope he does.     

Now I do not claim that all these runs to the left were when EG was in and perhaps every time he was in he stopped the runner.  I do know I've seen him give up contain multiple times while watching games... sometimes safety's/LB cover him and sometimes not.  I don't think he is a beast in the run game.  Hopefully he becomes one. 

Probably a bit deeper than PFF can offer, but I would surmise that it is tough to say whose job it was to stuff those runs.  On the surface, that looks sort of weak.  But what is the norm?  Did they use more power (TE, FB, pulling guard) to go left?) 

Now maybe "beast" is the wrong word to use.  He is a RDE, not a base end so I would suspect his peers are as weak or weaker.  My point was, he can track down a screen to the outside from a pass rush position.  He has amazing agility and change of direction for a DE.  That itself takes away much of the playbook designed to slow down a pass rush.

Quote: @"NFL Draft Guru" said:

The thing to remember is that this allows the Vikings the flexibility to suppress his cap hit in 2019 (when rookies come due) while also avoiding guaranteed money in Griffen's deal after age 31. If you do the deal in 2019 you're looking at 2-3 years of guarantees which ties you to him through 32-33. 
Until I read this, I was pretty dubious because the news reports are saying things like, "signed through 2022". Griffen is a good-to-great player, but I doubt if he will be at age 35 (maybe not even when he is 33)!! But if it is structured the way Guru is describing, this is a good deal for the team (and Griffen).

Quote: @"Bezerker88" said:
Griff is the 8th highest paid 4-3 DE in NFL and here is how he ranked per season.  

2016 he ranked 29th in tackles with 48.  11th in sacks with 8. 

2015 he ranked 45th in tackles with 44 and 10th in sacks with 10.5 sacks.  

2014 he ranked 9th in tackles with 57 and 4th in sacks with 12.  This is a great year and worth the money... and I think these are the numbers that earned him the 42.5 million dollar contract.  He has not matched this production so I can see how it could be interpreted that the Vikings did overpay... but as the far as the market goes now, they probably did not.    

2013 he ranked 109 in tackles with 27 and 43rd in sacks with 5.5.  Jared Allen was still here and Griff's play was limited. 
Remember when people said the Vikings overpaid with his other contract?

As long as the cap keeps expanding veterans will reap the rewards, that's what the plan was when the NFLPA under cut the incoming rookie classes.

He had no guaraneed money left in his deal, it was time to take care of him, this deal will look like a bargain after the next round of stud defenders sign! 

How often are DE's good after age 32?  Why sign him at all?   He has two years remaining.  

Quote: @"twgerber" said:
How often are DE's good after age 32?  Why sign him at all?   He has two years remaining.  
BRob is 34 and has been one of the best LDEs in the game IMO the last couple years,  age is just a number.  Griff still has a high motor,  but he does get washed inside on to many run plays IMO,  but without knowing what he was supposed to be doing vs Barr behind him or a S coming down its really hard to say how often its his fault vs just getting caught in a bad defensive call.

one thing about Griff is his ability of pursuit,  he doesnt give up on plays like we saw out of JA at this stage of his career and to me that means alot in terms of overall defensive success.

I wrote a response to all this activity and it didn't sound too good. Some players are just treated differently than others.
Yes this extension totally shocked me.
Why, mainly because the Vikings could have saved a lot of money if they had waited until Griff's contract was up. They could have used the excuse that he was too old being over 30 for that much money. Just like they've done with other players.
Congrats to Griff.

http://www.startribune.com/breaking-down...437207143/

Here’s how the Vikings paid him in their traditional pay-as-you-go structure.
The 29-year-old Griffen was already the team’s highest-paid defender before signing a four-year extension this week that will bump up his salary cap numbers for each of the next two seasons before the extension officially begins, according to a copy of the contract obtained by the Star Tribune.
Griffen is guaranteed $18.8 million at signing, which will be paid out over the next two seasons. He receives more money on the front end with his cap numbers rising to $8.6 million this season and $11.6 million in 2018. Included in those figures is a $5 million roster bonus this year and a $6 million roster bonus next year. Griffen also got a $2 million signing bonus as part of the new deal.
The deal makes Griffen the sixth-highest paid defensive end in football based on his $14.5 million per-year average, according to Spotrac.com, which tracks NFL contracts. However, the Vikings gain flexibility on the deal as his salaries increase.
The Vikings could technically part ways with a healthy Griffen after the 2018 season and not be on the hook for much. He has $34 million guaranteed for injury, which includes his $10.9 million base salary in 2019 and $4.3 million in 2020.
After the 2018 season, Griffen also has $500,000 tied up each season from 2019-2022 in per-game roster bonuses.
Griffen’s cap numbers for each year are below:
2017: $8.6M
2018: $11.6M
2019: $11.9M
2020: $13.9M
2021: $14.4M
2022: $15.5M