Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Better duo: Suh-Donald vs. Joseph-Richardson?
Quote: @Skodin said:
Joseph and Richardson over Donald and Suh. Suh is bigger in name than performance. Donald is the best in the game but not a mile ahead of Linval. 

Throw in the fact that the Minnesota edge is better than LA and their LBs are drastically better, it will lead to better overall performance of our DTs versus theirs. 

regarding LA, they have essentially a net 0 in my mind with additions. I would rather have Trumaine over Talib, Watkins over Cooks, Quinn over Suh. Plus you can throw them into the best in the NFC conversation until you value the most important position on the field, QB. 

Goff is good, but not showing special and when you have Min with their pieces and Cousins, NO with Brees, the Eagles with Wentz plus ATL and GB and their MVP QBs, it is hard to bet on LA to be as good as everyone believes they are. 
Just for reference:
PFF RanksBig Grinonald:  99.7 (#1 ranked DI - Elite)
Suh:  90.9 (#5 ranked DI - Elite)
Joseph:  88.7 (#11 ranked DI - High Quality)
Richardson:  83.8 (#27 ranked DI - Above Average)

Stats (Average Sacks - Average Tackles)Big Grinonald:  9-37
Suh:  6.4-36
Joseph:  2.8-35.8
Richardson:  3.8-33.8

I think Donald tips the scales if we are comparing duos...  the guy is THAT good.
However, as mentioned above...  the Vikings have the better overall defense and it's not that close.  Yes, the Rams added Talib and Peters and they have Joyner at S.  But that's not a better secondary than Rhodes, Harrison Smith, and Waynes.  I would take our front 7 over theirs as well.  It's a bit tougher to compare a 4-3 front to a 3-4 front, but they traded away Quinn (their 2nd best pass rusher) and I don't really see anyone to replace him at LB.  Meanwhile, we're still loaded with Everson, Hunter, Joseph, Robison, Barr and Kendricks...  and we added Sheldon freakin' Richardson.
BOOM

Quote: @Wetlander said:
I think Donald tips the scales if we are comparing duos...  the guy is THAT good.
However, as mentioned above...  the Vikings have the better overall defense and it's not that close.  Yes, the Rams added Talib and Peters and they have Joyner at S.  But that's not a better secondary than Rhodes, Harrison Smith, and Waynes.  I would take our front 7 over theirs as well.  It's a bit tougher to compare a 4-3 front to a 3-4 front, but they traded away Quinn (their 2nd best pass rusher) and I don't really see anyone to replace him at LB.  Meanwhile, we're still loaded with Everson, Hunter, Joseph, Robison, Barr and Kendricks...  and we added Sheldon freakin' Richardson.
BOOM
Donald is that good.  But I also think that Joseph is that good as well.  Different position, different stats.  But IMO Joseph is the best NT in the game.

Quote: @greediron said:
@Wetlander said:
BOOM
Donald is that good.  But I also think that Joseph is that good as well.  Different position, different stats.  But IMO Joseph is the best NT in the game.
I love me some Linval, and I get the difference from NT vs 3t, but man, Aaron Donald is in a class all by himself in taking over games. Closest thing I've seen to John Randle since Randle. 

Quote: @greediron said:
@Wetlander said:
BOOM
Donald is the best DL in the NFL, much more impactful than Joseph. I love Linval, but he's not in his zip code. As you mention, they play different positions, yet there are other NTs that are arguably better. But Joseph is definitely up there for a NT and I won't argue that he might not be the best NT in the game.

Dunno.  The impact Joseph has on the games isn't as evident.  But when he has been out on the rare occasion, our defense suffered.  Donald may make more splash plays, but our defense is about everyone doing their job.  And Joseph does his as well as anyone on that #1 D. 

So I will stick with my contention that Joseph is on par with Donald.  I seem to remember Donald being a non issue against us last year.