Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Better duo: Suh-Donald vs. Joseph-Richardson?
Going to be very interesting to watch these new dynamic duos paired up in the NFC. I have to give the slight nod to the Rams here as Aaron Donald is the best DT in the game and a motivated Suh is very dangerous. I expect Richardson to be a real beast inside next to Joseph, he'll get to use that explosiveness. 

Rams are so loaded on paper, it's crazy what they've done. Vikings, Eagles and Saints. Those are tough 4 outs. Then right below that is the Packers, Cowboys, Falcons. I'm probably missing some team. 

A motivated Suh next to this generations John Randle is a scary thought. We'll be seeing em this year too in the regular season I believe?

I have high hopes for our duo too. I think they could be even better against the run than Suh/Donald, but I'd give the pass rush nod to The Rams duo.

The interesting point is what Guru brought-up in another thread...The potential for Linval to sit on 3rd and longs and put Barr at end and slide EG inside next to Richardson.

Going to enjoy this season, hope Richardson is the real deal and hope we can keep him long term. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Rams are so loaded on paper, it's crazy what they've done. Vikings, Eagles and Saints. Those are tough 4 outs. Then right below that is the Packers, Cowboys, Falcons. I'm probably missing some team. 

A motivated Suh next to this generations John Randle is a scary thought. We'll be seeing em this year too in the regular season I believe?

I have high hopes for our duo too. I think they could be even better against the run than Suh/Donald, but I'd give the pass rush nod to The Rams duo.

The interesting point is what Guru brought-up in another thread...The potential for Linval to sit on 3rd and longs and put Barr at end and slide EG inside next to Richardson.

Going to enjoy this season, hope Richardson is the real deal and hope we can keep him long term. 
he also mentioned then bringing a S down into the box to replace Barr and then running another DB onto the field... unless its 3rd and a country mile, why wouldnt a team then just run left on that formation?  Barr has trouble getting off blocks,  EG would be trapped inside by Barr.  I know the thoughts on creating a monster pass rush scenario, but unless its a must pass scenario i think we would get to weak against the threat of a run... and if it is just a must pass situation... well its so rare it IMO hard to get giddy about especially since most the time teams only rush 3 in those situations.   I still think our best look will be the occasional AA gap  blitz opened up by the double teams in the middle that Richardson will demand.  it wasnt as effective without a dominant 3T, but with Richardson in there with LJ.... that dog will hunt once again.

I think Richardson is going to be motivated to succeed with the Vikings. Not only for the next contract, but just from a standpoint of being with other talented players and being competitive. He's learning new pass moves from the D-line coach. The guy is just 27 years old....same age as Aaron Donald believe it or not.

I also think NT David Parry is going to stick as Linval's backup. I like his strength and stoutness inside. If Jaleel Johnson can make some strides and nail down the backup spot to Richardson, that is a talented 4-some. The depth on the D-line is just straight up stupid good. 

In a vacuum I'd say Donald and Suh. But the Vikings probably have the synergies to give Richarson and Joseph better seasons . They have better heat coming off the edges. They also have much better linebackers threatening the A gaps. And as much as the Rams improved their secondary, the core of the Vikings defense has been together for several years now. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
In a vacuum I'd say Donald and Suh. But the Vikings probably have the synergies to give Richarson and Joseph better seasons . They have better heat coming off the edges. They also have much better linebackers threatening the A gaps. And as much as the Rams improved their secondary, the core of the Vikings defense has been together for several years now. 
This sums up my take pretty well.

It will be interesting to see where the Rams will get their edge rush from on D. Robert Quinn moved on to Miami. I wonder if opponents will try to exploit it....my guess is yes. To your point, Minnesota is a more complete defense. The talented Viking's D is playing Zimmer's defense on auto pilot now, letting their athleticism come to the forefront and thinking to a minimum. If Hughes continues his aptitude for the slot, it might be huge. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
It will be interesting to see where the Rams will get their edge rush from on D. Robert Quinn moved on to Miami. I wonder if opponents will try to exploit it....my guess is yes. To your point, Minnesota is a more complete defense. The talented Viking's D is playing Zimmer's defense on auto pilot now, letting their athleticism come to the forefront and thinking to a minimum. If Hughes continues his aptitude for the slot, it might be huge. 
I was thinking that we will be working the shit out of the boots, sweeps,  and other stuff to get the RB and the QB the hell out of the pocket early to wear down that middle push that those 2 are sure to get.  make them run laterally for a while and see what they have left in the 4th quarter.

Suh is a goon. He will be motivated by playing on a good team. However when you hit adversity. Which will happen during a season even for a good team. Then Suh will show his downside. He's not worth the headache...imo. Donald is great though. Overall I like our chemical mix and added experimental time Zims had. Ours is better then theirs. Outlook good say my purple magic 8 ball. 
As others have stated...Eagles, Rams and Vikes are all pretty good. You add in Saints, Panthers, Packers and Falcons. That's alot of good to get past.

I would give the edge to a true NT and 3 Tech over two guys that play the same position.  Plus our D is better all around.