Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings’ pitch to Mychal Kendricks included more than just base defense role
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Bullazin said:
odds are he is here next year on a multi year deal to replace Barr
If the Vikings or Kendricks thought that might happen he would have already been signed.
He did only sign a 1 year deal. It's not impossible to believe. 

Quote: @Bullazin said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Bullazin said:
If the Vikings or Kendricks thought that might happen he would have already been signed.
decent odds for that also, just not quite as high
Quote: @suncoastvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Bullazin said:
if the Vikings honestly thought that Barr was leaving and that Kendricks was the future at the spot...no way they let him leave for another team for a year.  whats the logic in that?  If they could sign him for 1 year at the same money and get him into the system that would make for a more seamless transition a year from now.  I think the team wants to keep Barr and are not willing to spend money on other FAs until they take care of their own first.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Bullazin said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Bullazin said:
decent odds for that also, just not quite as high
Quote: @suncoastvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Bullazin said:
if the Vikings honestly thought that Barr was leaving and that Kendricks was the future at the spot...no way they let him leave for another team for a year.  whats the logic in that?  If they could sign him for 1 year at the same money and get him into the system that would make for a more seamless transition a year from now.  I think the team wants to keep Barr and are now willing to spend money on other FAs until they take care of their own first.
I wasn't saying it is by design. Just situations change. If Barr's demands are to high there could be an opening and Kendricks would become available again. However they might have thought bringing in Barr's potential replacement now would complicate the contract  process. I'm actually kinda starting to believe Barr is not going to be here if his contract is anywhere near what it sounds like he believes he's worth.

I'd be interested in seeing what our defense looks like with 3 good LBs.  It seems like our offense was a lot more flexible a couple years ago when we still had Greenway (aging as he was) and Barr/Kendricks both got more blitzing opportunities.  It seems we're kind of stuck in nickle a lot probably due to our lack of a 3rd LB (not a knock on Gedeon who has played pretty well) and depth at CB.  Another stud LB would go a long ways for depth as well.  I'm not sure what we'd really do if Barr or Kendricks got injured.