Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings’ pitch to Mychal Kendricks included more than just base defense role
While free agent linebacker Mychal Kendricks elected to sign with with the Cleveland Browns instead of the Vikings,  his visit to Minnesota earlier in the week did bring along one interesting piece of information.

KSTP-TV’s Darren Wolfson reported Friday that the Vikings’ pitch to Mychal Kendricks included ways they could have him on the field in more than just personnel groupings with three linebackers.
“I do know the Vikings feel good about their pitch,” Wolfson said on Mackey and Judd Friday. “It involves him being on the field more than just in the base defense. I didn’t get all the specifics but does that mean Anthony Barr has his hand on the ground? I think Mike Zimmer looked at Philadelphia and looked at how they rotated.”
Even without Kendricks, Wolfson’s report indicates that we may see Anthony Barr at edge rusher in certain situations as part of a rotation. That could open the door for dime packages to be used on third downs or players like Ben Gedeon or rookie Devante Downs to see playing time.
http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/0...ense-role/

Not sure what is the most current news but this report seems to indicate that Mychal is saying, not so fast.
https://www.dailynorseman.com/2018/6/3/1...ta-vikings

He is going to sign with the Browns on a one year deal. Not sure hust how badly he wanted to play with his brother. He evidently is taking one year with the Browns at $3.5M. Did the Vikings offer much less?

Quote: @dadevike said:
He is going to sign with the Browns on a one year deal. Not sure hust how badly he wanted to play with his brother. He evidently is taking one year with the Browns at $3.5M. Did the Vikings offer much less?
I am sure it has more to do with playing time and the opportunity to showcase his skills in order to get another chance at a big money contract before he hits his age wall which is coming quickly for him.  If he shows well with the Browns they would be able to extend him with a very handsome contract,  this way he gets to audition live for them.

How I read it was he COULD make up to $3.5 million, not that the deal was for that. I could be wrong.

And its being reported everywhere that he did sign with the Browns....why did he get so pissed about it last night? Weird.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
How I read it was he COULD make up to $3.5 million, not that the deal was for that. I could be wrong.

And its being reported everywhere that he did sign with the Browns....why did he get so pissed about it last night? Weird.
Who really knows what is really happening with these negotiations?

He might have agreed to a deal with the Browns but was still talking with the other teams too.

I could see him telling the Browns he would accept their deal while still talking to the Vikings and Raiders to see if they would match that offer.

It could be something that happens all the time and we just never hear about it.

So, when a reporter hears from a "source" that he has agreed to a deal and then puts it out there, it could make the player look bad if he "backs" out of the deal.

I do not think he would get enough playing time here unless the Vikings were going to move Barr.

He made the right choice as Jimmy stated above.

Evidently, the Viking discussed playing time and changing schemes to get Mychal on the field.  Zimmer is pretty creative in his defensive schemes. It could be putting the Kendricks boys at LBer on passing downs and lining up Barr more as a pass rusher on the LOS or making Barr a rover. 
But that's fine. Everyone gets to make their decisions for whatever they feel is in their best interest.  I never expected us to sign him. But I was surprised by how little he presumably signed for.  Maybe he just did not like the idea of playing next to Eric while making a fraction of what Eric is making.

odds are he is here next year on a multi year deal to replace Barr

Quote: @Bullazin said:
If the Vikings or Kendricks thought that might happen he would have already been signed.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Bullazin said:
If the Vikings or Kendricks thought that might happen he would have already been signed.
decent odds for that also, just not quite as high