Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two Sleeps Until The Draft And I'm Sooooooo....
Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Meh...

Each year since the draft has been moved to prime time my interest has waned...fucking Goodell ruined the best non-football football weekend in pursuit of the almighty buck...add to that the relative demise of two of my mainstay sources, CBS and Bob McGinn and I'm seriously doubting that I'll even be awake when the Vikings will be on the clock...last year I barely watched Day 3...this year we'll be going out for brunch, then taking in Inifitity Wars up in Tampa with family and friends...God I hate that man! 
Dude, you know me, I have BETA tapes of the Vikings drafting Doug Martin. I have draft magazines dating back to Joe Senser. No doubt it's not what it was. I loved getting up on Saturday morning for the start of the draft. The douchebags at the NFL have ruined that forever by kowtowing to the "casual fan." But y'know what? That's where the money is. And I get it.

The draft is still pretty awesome. The 2013 draft made me start smoking again, 2016 draft created a hole in my basement drywall...these are impact moments in our lives. 
Yeah, but do you have VHS tapes of Dr. Z suggesting that the Vikings drafted Cris Doleman because he was a "guy who looked good in his underwear?"  When Doleman was terrorizing the league, and a commentator mentioned to him about the strong possibility of him going to the Pro Bowl, he made some comment about "please make sure to share this with Zimmerman."  That's some real Purple gold right there!

I will be there in Dallas as part of the NFL media on Friday and Saturday. Not sure what there will be to get, but will report if anything interesting.

Quote: @"Norseman" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Meh...

Each year since the draft has been moved to prime time my interest has waned...fucking Goodell ruined the best non-football football weekend in pursuit of the almighty buck...add to that the relative demise of two of my mainstay sources, CBS and Bob McGinn and I'm seriously doubting that I'll even be awake when the Vikings will be on the clock...last year I barely watched Day 3...this year we'll be going out for brunch, then taking in Inifitity Wars up in Tampa with family and friends...God I hate that man! 
Dude, you know me, I have BETA tapes of the Vikings drafting Doug Martin. I have draft magazines dating back to Joe Senser. No doubt it's not what it was. I loved getting up on Saturday morning for the start of the draft. The douchebags at the NFL have ruined that forever by kowtowing to the "casual fan." But y'know what? That's where the money is. And I get it.

The draft is still pretty awesome. The 2013 draft made me start smoking again, 2016 draft created a hole in my basement drywall...these are impact moments in our lives. 
Yeah, but do you have VHS tapes of Dr. Z suggesting that the Vikings drafted Cris Dohlman because he was a "guy who looked good in his underwear?"  When Dohlman was terrorizing the league, and a commentator mentioned to him about the strong possibility of him going to the Pro Bowl, he made some comment about "please make sure to share this with Zimmerman."  That's some real Purple gold right there!
I remember that well! Right after we drafted Doleman, Dr. Z said that the Vikings just "wasted their pick." Remember the Robert Smith draft? This one's a little fuzzy, but there was laughter right after the selection and rumor has it that some team was so upset that we took Smith that they slammed their phone down, which is what caused the laughter in NYC. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Norseman" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Meh...

Yeah, but do you have VHS tapes of Dr. Z suggesting that the Vikings drafted Cris Dohlman because he was a "guy who looked good in his underwear?"  When Dohlman was terrorizing the league, and a commentator mentioned to him about the strong possibility of him going to the Pro Bowl, he made some comment about "please make sure to share this with Zimmerman."  That's some real Purple gold right there!
I remember that well! Right after we drafted Doleman, Dr. Z said that the Vikings just "wasted their pick." Remember the Robert Smith draft? This one's a little fuzzy, but there was laughter right after the selection and rumor has it that some team was so upset that we took Smith that they slammed their phone down, which is what caused the laughter in NYC. 
Good memories!!  (btw:  my brain did kick in and I figured out that I misspelled "Doleman.")

I don't seem to remember that Robert Smith one, likely because 1993 was a much busier time for me.

Back to Doleman.  Dr. Z went on and on and said something about him being "a projection" about ten times.  That was the dawn of the height/weight/speed era.  It was a very sad time when we let him go to Atlanta (I forget the details, but I'm sure it had something to do with us not wanting to pay anybody).  Fortunately, he came back to us for his final season.  

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Meh...

Each year since the draft has been moved to prime time my interest has waned...fucking Goodell ruined the best non-football football weekend in pursuit of the almighty buck... 
AMEN!!Even worse when you work evenings.  I'll be lucky if I even see a Vikings pick live Thursday or Friday.  

meh I think theres a decent chance the vikings trade out of the first. either way ill be in bed by the time they pick. 

Quote: @"Norseman" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Norseman" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Meh...

Good memories!!  (btw:  my brain did kick in and I figured out that I misspelled "Doleman.")

I don't seem to remember that Robert Smith one, likely because 1993 was a much busier time for me.

Back to Doleman.  Dr. Z went on and on and said something about him being "a projection" about ten times.  That was the dawn of the height/weight/speed era.  It was a very sad time when we let him go to Atlanta (I forget the details, but I'm sure it had something to do with us not wanting to pay anybody).  Fortunately, he came back to us for his final season.  

Chris Doleman was originally a Linebacker in college.  When he came to the Vikings, I believe Bud Grant is the one that convinced him to put on some weight and become a defensive end.  It sure worked out well for him and the Vikings over his career.

Quote: @"ArizonaViking" said:
@"Norseman" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Norseman" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Meh...

Chris Doleman was originally a Linebacker in college.  When he came to the Vikings, I believe Bud Grant is the one that convinced him to put on some weight and become a defensive end.  It sure worked out well for him and the Vikings over his career.

He actually played both in college, but we drafted him to play linebacker.  That was why Dr. Z went on and on about him being a projection (i.e. somebody who had been playing DE in college that we projected as an OLB).  When we switched back to a 4-3, we moved him to DE and the rest is (great) history.