Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two Sleeps Until The Draft And I'm Sooooooo....
Meh...

Each year since the draft has been moved to prime time my interest has waned...fucking Goodell ruined the best non-football football weekend in pursuit of the almighty buck...add to that the relative demise of two of my mainstay sources, CBS and Bob McGinn and I'm seriously doubting that I'll even be awake when the Vikings will be on the clock...last year I barely watched Day 3...this year we'll be going out for brunch, then taking in Inifitity Wars up in Tampa with family and friends...God I hate that man! 

I'm pretty stoked about the upcoming draft.  I'm off Friday and my son will be here visiting and we'll be able to watch the entire draft.  Drink a few beers, grill some dead animal flesh and talk football.  Only downfall is, he's a diehard 49ers fan.

I personally prefer how it is setup now. Maybe its just my opinion I enjoy primetime TV and being able to follow Thursday/Friday is a great tradeoff to taking up both Sat/Sun. 

I don't really care either way.  The thursday night coincides with the trip home from an annual trade show I do so I am usually in a hotel some where anyway so it works,  Friday and Saturday not so much this late into spring.  I would prefer it be a few weeks earlier so I don't feel like a putz sitting inside on what is typically one of the first beautiful weekends of the year.

I do think it helps the teams to have almost a day to assess what happened in the first round, but as just a viewer I would still prefer to have at least the first two rounds together.  We could watch to the end of the first round and have them trade down again.  Talk about a bummer!  If they just HAVE to do three days I might like 1-2, 3-4, 5-7.     

Other than any of that noise, the first round of the draft for me is more exciting when picking very high.  I guess we can call that consolation for the fans of teams that suck ass.

Quote: @CLOBIMON said:
I do think it helps the teams to have almost a day to access what happened in the first round, but as just a viewer I would still prefer to have at least the first two rounds together.  We could watch to the end of the first round and have them trade down again.  Talk about a bummer!  If they just HAVE to do three days I might like 1-2, 3-4, 5-7.     

Other than any of that noise, the first round of the draft for me is more exciting when picking very high.  I guess we can call that consolation for the fans of teams that suck ass.
I would like this format better,  but its hard to go any later or start any earlier on a work night when most casual fans would be checking out by 11 pm cst.  

maybe they need to change the compensatory pick format,  once those things start coming into play the draft seems to come to a halt and just drag and drag.

I'm probably an outlier, but I miss the old days when I would waste ridiculous amounts of time on Saturday watching the draft.  I liked when it was mostly Dr. Z, and later Kiper, and there would be in depth discussion for 15 minutes between first round picks that actually pertained to what the next team's options were.  Now, it's just Primetime making stupid comments to the guy just drafted, and then some feel good stuff about the guy's  background (all intended to build the audience of fringe prime time watchers who want human interest stories and other such crap).  Then a commercial.  Rinse/lather/repeat.

I know I’m in th minority but I don’t really care too much about the event itself as much as I care about how the Vikings make out.  I’ll watch the first couple founds and then just check back to see the Vikings picked after that.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Meh...

Each year since the draft has been moved to prime time my interest has waned...fucking Goodell ruined the best non-football football weekend in pursuit of the almighty buck...add to that the relative demise of two of my mainstay sources, CBS and Bob McGinn and I'm seriously doubting that I'll even be awake when the Vikings will be on the clock...last year I barely watched Day 3...this year we'll be going out for brunch, then taking in Inifitity Wars up in Tampa with family and friends...God I hate that man! 
Dude, you know me, I have BETA tapes of the Vikings drafting Doug Martin. I have draft magazines dating back to Joe Senser. No doubt it's not what it was. I loved getting up on Saturday morning for the start of the draft. The douchebags at the NFL have ruined that forever by kowtowing to the "casual fan." But y'know what? That's where the money is. And I get it.

The draft is still pretty awesome. The 2013 draft made me start smoking again, 2016 draft created a hole in my basement drywall...these are impact moments in our lives. 

I remember when we drafted Doug Martin...Liked him a lot as a player. He was a Huskie right?? Am I right? 

And for you youngen's we aint talking tailback here.