Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oh, snap! Gruden: We’re better at QB without Cousins
Quote: @BlackMagic7 said:
I like to imagine he's Case Keenum in an alternate reality. One where we put the franchise tag on him and ended the fan honeymoon as we struggled to repeat the prior season while Keenum's stats improved.

Kirk took over an overhyped team filled with the hot air promise of a 1st round QB. He stepped in and their organization didnt miss a beat at the position. But the bar was incredibly high; the Redskins had been running on fumes in their efforts to win after the RG3 failure. When the team needed to franchise him, the fanfare of lucking out on even drafting him faded; that price tag meant championship or bust. ... they reluctantly franchised him again...

They werent really built for him. They couldnt get him weapons as fast as he lost the ones he had.

He got paid alot, the fans had a lot of reasons to sit back and question his pedigree while crying about losing. But, we always compliment Keenum's targets in challenging his success, how often did we hear about how awesome Washington's recievers are? Kirk was always an overachiever first. The Redskins failed to extend him, and they failed to build around him. After that franchise tag, a promising late round QB suddenly had it all on him. ... any team or fan base in the league expects instant results when you pay a QB that kind of money.
You really hit on it IMO.  They had a 4th round hit at QB and pissed it away.  He rescued their team from the debacle that was RGIII.  And the Redskins failed to build around him. 

Not sure he is the savior here, that remains to be seen.  But the failure in DC wasn't on Cousins. 

Quote: @AllBS said:
Quote: [Image: 114ka6c0r8im.jpg]  Every time I see Jay Gruden I'm somehow reminded of 
Robin Hood Men in Tights.
Hey now, leave Cary Elwes alone.

I don't know, right now there is a lot of accolades and praise for a QB that hasn't won.  We had the same excuses for Sam and Case(right or wrong) but I don't think KC or SF had any more talent on offense than Kirk worked with in DC.  This last season was the first one where KC actually had a better OL than Washington due to injuries mostly.  And according to PFF Washington had a better WR group most years also so I think the mantra of Kirk having a poor team doesn't hold water.  We could chalk it all up to a better defense in KC, but Washington wasn't garbage either.  Of course there are a lot of factors that lead to wins and losses so it's not necessarily on Kirk's shoulders but I do think there are valid concerns when a QB puts up big numbers on a team with a good receiving group and OL but can't seem to win.  

Snyder is a douche but they did move on from RG3 and hand Kirk the reigns and yet still wouldn't commit to Kirk.  His teammates are exactly outraged or distraught that he left.  You would some to be incredulous if he was well liked and regarded in the locker room

Vikings have a very good team around him and there is no reason he shouldn't be able to match his stats of the last few years, I sure hope he can win more than he has.  I think Smith will prove to be as effective in Washington as he was in KC.