Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oh, snap! Gruden: We’re better at QB without Cousins
Whatever you’ve got to tell yourself buddy.

https://sports.yahoo.com/jay-gruden-feels-redskins-definitely-improved-qb-alex-smith-kirk-cousins-131757646.html
Jay Gruden feels Redskins 'definitely' improved at QB with Alex Smith over Kirk CousinsDuring the Washington Redskins’ contract fiasco with quarterback Kirk Cousins the past few years, there was always a sense the team never really loved him as a franchise quarterback for whatever reason.
Cousins left via free agency, signing with the Minnesota Vikings for the largest contract on a per-year basis in NFL history. That was after the Redskins traded for his replacement, landing Alex Smith from the Kansas City Chiefs.
While that appears like a lateral move at quarterback for Washington, Redskins coach Jay Gruden said “without a doubt” that his team was better at quarterback with Smith replacing Cousins.

Cousins has a better career passer rating (93.7 to 87.4), yards per game (261.4 to 204.4), completion percentage (65.5 to 62.4), touchdown percentage (4.7 to 4.0) and yards per attempt (7.7 to 6.9) than Smith. To say you “definitely” improved based on Smith’s credentials fails to pass any sort of scrutiny.

More at the link above

thats pretty damn weerd.

What is he supposed to say?  But I'm also unsure that Kirk is a true franchise QB.  Alex Smith has a winning record and his team's weren't  much better if at all than the Redskins.  I'm still concerned Kirk is all stats no "IT" factor that true franchise QBs have to win when maybe they shouldn't .

Of course he is going to say that. He's not going to say gee we really suck now lol. 

pretty sure smiths cap figures were higher this yr as well.

I like to imagine he's Case Keenum in an alternate reality. One where we put the franchise tag on him and ended the fan honeymoon as we struggled to repeat the prior season while Keenum's stats improved.

Kirk took over an overhyped team filled with the hot air promise of a 1st round QB. He stepped in and their organization didnt miss a beat at the position. But the bar was incredibly high; the Redskins had been running on fumes in their efforts to win after the RG3 failure. When the team needed to franchise him, the fanfare of lucking out on even drafting him faded; that price tag meant championship or bust. ... they reluctantly franchised him again...

They werent really built for him. They couldnt get him weapons as fast as he lost the ones he had.

He got paid alot, the fans had a lot of reasons to sit back and question his pedigree while crying about losing. But, we always compliment Keenum's targets in challenging his success, how often did we hear about how awesome Washington's recievers are? Kirk was always an overachiever first. The Redskins failed to extend him, and they failed to build around him. After that franchise tag, a promising late round QB suddenly had it all on him. ... any team or fan base in the league expects instant results when you pay a QB that kind of money.

I guess I feel like theres some similarity between Kirk early in his starting days and Keenum. Only, we really embraced Keenum when he found success. We came off of some crazy misfortune and we felt pretty fortunate Keenum found success in our system. Washington was in a mad scramble over RG3 failing. In some eyes, Cousins didnt prove shit execpt that they screwed up. They didnt franchise tag him as a congratulations, they did it because he was a flash in the pan; a charred black pan. 

There is an article here about the bar being raised too high with Cousin's here and his price tag. There was talk about "overpaying" Keenum and how paying him that much means we better win a Super Bowl or "that contract is stupid."

Quite frankly, Cousins came outta nowhere and played at a very high level. Unlike the Vikes, the Redskins didn't have a "Kirk Cousins" to turn to. Kirk turned a nightmare (and behind the scenes circus) situation into a glimmer of hope. His contract situation changed expectations and blinded many to his accomplishments and ability. They went from developing and building around their QB to waiting for the cashout on their return...

Keenum, as an overall package, is a young guy who keeps growing as a player; he built himself up all season long and probably should continue to grow - but Denver doesnt give much of a shit about that now, right? They paid him to win, not develop. After Washington Franchised Kirk, I think they lost sight of that. It became win now or bust.

Quote: @"NodakViking" said:
What is he supposed to say?  But I'm also unsure that Kirk is a true franchise QB.  Alex Smith has a winning record and his team's weren't  much better if at all than the Redskins.  I'm still concerned Kirk is all stats no "IT" factor that true franchise QBs have to win when maybe they shouldn't .
KC has had a much better team surrounding Alex then the Redskins ever had in the 3 years of Cousins starting.  Much better Defenses all 3 years, much better run game all 3 years, much better OL (especially with injuries) all 3 years, and Alex had one of the best TE's in Kelce while Reed from the redskins is always hurt.  Cousins had the one year with Jackson, garcon and rookie crowther and he put up huge stats to the WR core....the following year the Redskins let both Garcon and Jackson go.

The Redskins surrounding team is going to be a huge downgrade from what Alex had in KC.

Quote: @"NodakViking" said:
What is he supposed to say?
1. Nothing.
2. We wish Kirk the best.
3. We have decided to go in a different direction.
4. We thank Kirk ....
Instead, they keep criticising a guy who is not even on their team anymore. (Anti-tampering?) After franchising him twice and trying unsuccessfully to sign him to long term deals, they keep coming out to say that he is not very good. So why franchise him twice? Why offer him a lot of money to be your long term QB?

The Redskins sound like a bitter, immature, jilted lover. "I have a new girlfriend. Have you seen my new girlfriend? Her name is Alex. And she is so much prettier than my old girlfriend. No, she really is. Well, I think she is and that's all that matters. I didn't even really like my old girlfriend. I was never really serious about her. I'm much happier now. ... Does anyone know if my old girlfriend is seeing anyone? If you see her tell her what I just said, ok?"

Grow up, Redskins. Move on. Just go back to your old routines. You will get over it in no time. You'll see. 

Quote: @"dadevike" said:
@"NodakViking" said:
What is he supposed to say?
1. Nothing.
2. We wish Kirk the best.
3. We have decided to go in a different direction.
4. We thank Kirk ....
Instead, they keep criticising a guy who is not even on their team anymore. (Anti-tampering?) After franchising him twice and trying unsuccessfully to sign him to long term deals, they keep coming out to say that he is not very good. So why franchise him twice? Why offer him a lot of money to be your long term QB?

The Redskins sound like a bitter, immature, jilted lover. "I have a new girlfriend. Have you seen my new girlfriend? Her name is Alex. And she is so much prettier than my old girlfriend. No, she really is. Well, I think she is and that's all that matters. I didn't even really like my old girlfriend. I was never really serious about her. I'm much happier now. ... Does anyone know if my old girlfriend is seeing anyone? If you see her tell her what I just said, ok?"

Grow up, Redskins. Move on. Just go back to your old routines. You will get over it in no time. You'll see. 
Funny and so true....what a shitty franchise.  They screwed up with Cousins and their consolation prize is Alex Smith.  They have taken another step back.  Smith will have learn to play for an offense with no run game and very limited talent at WR.  Oh and the Redskins defense is near the bottom in almost every category.  Smith is going to flop in DC.  

Quote: @"Poiple" said:
thats pretty damn weerd.

Well, he is a Gruden after all... Wink