Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFLDG Mock Draft 1.0
Where would Oliver end up playing?  Is he just going to backup Waynes on the outside?  Can he play in nickle?  He seems like more of an outside guy.  It sort of seems like signing him would just mean that Waynes is on the way out, but have no experience because he just sat on the bench the whole year.

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
CB has been brought up often as a potential high round pick, but I'm just not seeing it...it'll take at least two seasons before there is any payoff...I'm probably in the minority, but I'd take my chances with Waynes and Alexander going forward...I think a quicker payoff and bigger need is the OL...if you had gone Price and Crosby along with the other positions you went after, I'd be turgid...
I think the reason you look at CB now is somewhat two-fold. First, they need depth at the position. That doesn't warrant a top pick in itself. But when you consider Waynes will be on his 5th year option in 2019 and Mac will be in the final year of his rookie contract, are they going to pay two corners? The answer is probably not. So if that is the long-term play you need to start developing another player now. 
It may be reality, but spending a 1st and 2nd rounder on corners, only to spend another high pick a few years later is tough. Would it make more sense to go after a corner in the 3rd or 4th round knowing that corners in Zimmer's D need at least a year before they can be trusted?

I need to catch up on the prospects, but I'd really like to add a TE earlier in the draft. As you mentioned, the move TE is important for both DeFilippo and Cousins and our attempts to add athletic TEs in the mid to late rounds have failed so far. Also, Rudolph has had issues with being banged up, so there would be plenty of snaps for a young TE.

I also think that DE is a pretty big need. The pass rush slowed down as the season wore on, Robison is likely in his final, and Griffen is not getting any younger. Now would be the perfect time to bring in a young pass rushers, use him as a rotational piece this year, and then hopefully step up to a bigger role in year two. We can't match Philly's DL depth, but we need to take steps to build towards that, because the DL getting gassed in the playoffs was a big part of their collapse.

I do agree that trading down makes sense. We've lost a lot of veteran players and have some big contracts coming up and I can't see us adequately replenishing the roster with our current slate of picks. Spielman really needs to work the draft and I hope we'll be an attractive destination for rookie free agents.

Looks good, Geoff. I'm way behind on my drafting this year, but I'm a big fan of Crosby, Cichy and LIndsay in particular.

I'd probably move the RB, DE and LB ahead of the CB, WR and DT in terms of priority. Does a CB immediately supplant Alexander? And at this point I think a pass rushing DE who can rotate in with Hunter and Griffen might be more important than a DT, especially if we aren't able to bring back BRob. And one area where I think we're alarmingly thin is LB. Plus, we may need to hedge against the possibility of losing one of them next year. I love Cichy, but if we wait until the 6th for that position, we're going to have to get a little lucky. 

My order would be this....

1. OL
2. DE
3. LB
4. RB
5. OL
6. TE

Wondering what Flip might think of a weapon like Jaylen Samuels. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
Looks good, Geoff. I'm way behind on my drafting this year, but I'm a big fan of Crosby, Cichy and LIndsay in particular.

I'd probably move the RB, DE and LB ahead of the CB, WR and DT in terms of priority. Does a CB immediately supplant Alexander? And at this point I think a pass rushing DE who can rotate in with Hunter and Griffen might be more important than a DT, especially if we aren't able to bring back BRob. And one area where I think we're alarmingly thin is LB. Plus, we may need to hedge against the possibility of losing one of them next year. I love Cichy, but if we wait until the 6th for that position, we're going to have to get a little lucky. 

My order would be this....

1. OL
2. DE
3. LB
4. RB
5. OL
6. TE

Wondering what Flip might think of a weapon like Jaylen Samuels. 

I like Samuels, I just wonder how the Vikings would opt to use him. Would he take away the need for a move TE? Or do you view him more as a receiver out of the backfield? The answer could probably be some version of both. But does it take away both needs with a single pick? Hard to say. But I do think he's going to make a year one impact on offense for whoever drafts him. 

Well, now that theres a film room on him he's gone!!

Quote: @"AGRforever" said:
Well, now that theres a film room on him he's gone!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_stSvqc4gMk
Really meshes with my scouting report above. I would say that there are a number of snaps where Oliver isn't as refined technically. I agree that he understands the nuances of the position but there will be an adjustment for him to play in MN's bump & run defense. The good is that he'd be able to get his hands on the receiver early, which he is comfortable with. The adjustment will be after that when he is asked to mirror the receiver rather than play him physically down the field.