Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFLDG Mock Draft 1.0

1 (30) - Traded to NYG for 2 (34) & 4 (108) 

2 (34) via NYG - Isaiah Oliver (CB Colorado): In this iteration the Vikings opt to trade back into the top of the 2nd frame. With a run of offensive lineman in the early 20's and teams jockeying for RB's at the top of the 2nd the Vikings should have some traction if they want to trade out of the first. The target here is Isaiah Oliver. Although corner may not be the most pressing need on the roster, it could become a significant need as early as 2019. The team also lacks outside DB depth and Oliver fits the bill there as well. As a player Oliver has the prototypical size/length teams covet in their outside corners. Although his technique is quite raw, Oliver shows the ability to break down on routes and get his head around on balls down the field. He has impressive ball skills and does a good job of contesting passes down the field when properly positioned. The downside is that he can get beat off the line by quicker receivers in off coverage and often trusts what he sees too much and can bite on fakes and double moves. However, the Vikings like aggressive corners that can be coached up and Oliver has the upside of a lockdown outside CB with a year of grooming and rotational play.  

2 (62) - Tyrell Crosby (OT/OG Oregon): Although there are a number of strong O-lineman that could be had near the end of the first, the best values may be found near the end of the second or early in the third. Tyrell Crosby has been underrated throughout the draft process and could slide in as a day one starter on the right side of many offensive lines league wide. Crosby has good length and athleticism to get out in space and block down the field. In the NFL he is likely best served in a zone blocking scheme but could excel in any scheme. At Oregon he was primarily an OT (LT in 2017) but projects as either an undersized RT or well proportioned RG in the NFL. This positional flexibility is important for MN as it allows them to test Remmers more inside at OG during OTA's and Training Camp. As he enters the NFL the question is how quickly Crosby can transition from a 2-point collegiate stance to a 3-point NFL stance. This has been a common issue the past 5 years or so when projecting collegiate lineman to the NFL. With a strong camp you'd feel confident this fills the hole at either RT or RG in 2018.  

3 (94) - Dante Pettis (WR Washington): Similar to the CB selection at the top of round two, some may be surprised to see a WR coming off the board so early for MN. Thielen and Diggs are coming off strong seasons but adding a more versatile 3rd piece to the equation could really expand the offense. This isn't to suggest the Vikings have completely given up on Treadwell, but he will need to earn everything moving forward. Aside from sliding in as a potential #3/#4 receiver, Pettis is an explosive punt returner and can likely make an impact on kick returns as well. Giving DeFilippo a chess piece and giving Kirk Cousins a new downfield weapon should further open up the offense. 

4 (108) via NYG - Trenton Thompson (DT Georgia): Some were surprised when Thompson decided to leave Georgia early, but the name of the game for players with so much raw talent is to get to their second contracts. Trenton Thompson was a highly regarded recruit when landing in Athens and has flashed that talent from time to time. Unfortunately nagging injuries have gotten in the way, preventing him from realizing his true ability. In the Vikings system he projects as a 3-tech tackle that has the raw talent to earn a spot in the rotation early in his career. With the proper coaching a team can unlock Thompson's skills to turn him into a consistent pass rusher. The risk is his checkered medical history. 

5 (167) - Ade Aruna (DE Tulane): The Vikings defensive line saw their production fall off a cliff near the end of 2017 and it bit them hard in the playoffs. Making back to back picks along the D-line shouldn't be a huge surprise. Aruna is far from a complete player but displays the size/speed traits the Vikings look for in their developmental players. Aruna started playing football late in life and is still more of an athlete than football player. Fortunately for him his athletic traits are so good he can make an impact with them alone. Andre Patterson and Zimmer should be able to work with him on developing technique and rushing the passer with a plan. His upside is through the roof but he ultimately is the epitome of a boom or bust talent. 

6 (204) - Jordan Aikens (TE UCF): New OC John DeFilippo has a knack for scheming his TE's open and its no conincidence Kirk Cousins loves to utilize his TE's down the field. Aiken is more raw that some of the other "move TE's" that will be taken earlier in the draft but adds enough to warrant the wait. Aikens has the size and speed to line up around the field and beat slot corners and LB's. After the catch he has juice to make plays after the catch, which is where the Vikings are currently lacking at TE. Physically Aikens is likely maxed out as a 26 year old rookie, but with refined route running and a strong scheme he can make an impact at the NFL level and fills a need. 

6 (213) - Tony Adams (OG/C N.C. State): Although Adams was one of the ACC's more talent O-lineman, size limitations are going to tank his draft stock. As an OG for the Wolfpack, Adams was strong in pass protection and has the movement skills to pull and get to the second level with ease. He is a great fit for the Vikings zone blocking scheme. His lack of length will force him to center for some teams but the Vikings turned a similar player in Nick Easton into an effective starter. Although its unlikely he'd be a plug and play options along the O-line he'd be a valuable backup at both center and guard if injuries impact the line throughout the season. 

6 (218) - Jack Cichy (LB Wisconsin): On raw talent alone, Cichy is a top 5 LB in this draft class. Injuries completely derailed his career at Wisconsin and nobody has seen him on the field for about a year. Scheme wise, Cichy projects as a WLB that has the movement skills (pre-injury) to stay on the field as a nickel LB if needed. Although he isn't the quickest player in coverage he has a high level of feel for passing windows which positions himself to make plays on the ball although he isn't sticky in coverage. He also has the tenacity to get down to the LOS and sift through garbage to help stop the run. His recovery is the largest question mark, but he could compete for a OLB spot in a 43 defense if healthy. But more likely he is a strong ST's contributor in year one with the potential for more later on. 

7 (225) - Phillip Lindsay (RB Colorado): The loss of Jerrick McKinnon is going to impact the Vikings more than most fans think. His ability to break off long gains in the passing game gave defensive coordinators some fear and forced them to reel back their pass rush at times. Finding another player who can make an impact through the air is important. Lindsay likely would be drafted higher if it were not for the strong RB crop once again. On the field Lindsay (nicknamed the Tasmanian Devil) plays with the energy to make up for his smaller stature. He has some ability between the tackles but is best when receiving the ball in space. This doesn't make him a fit for all teams. On the Vikings where Dalvin Cook will be taking 60%+ of the offensive snaps and Murray filling in for short yardage/goal line situations there aren't a ton of touches left. This makes a more specialized back the best fit for need/value this year.

I know some of you have anxiously been awaiting for me to post my first mock draft of the season. Well, here it is about one month from the draft! As usual I will try to post a mock every weekly leading up to the draft to walk through multiple scenarios the Vikings may encounter while introducing you to some players you may not have been aware of.

When you put trading with the Giants I was like WTF the #2 would cost us the entire draft this year and next.  Then I read more carefully!!  Great analysis 

I'll take it! Not thrilled with drafting 3Ts in back to back years but otherwise this checks all the boxes.

I love Crosby big time: strong dude. Nasty run blocker. Really good length. Start him right now at RT.

Quote: @FSUVike said:
I'll take it! Not thrilled with drafting 3Ts in back to back years but otherwise this checks all the boxes.
Its hard to know, but I think they may move Jaleel Johnson into Shamar Stephen's old role. He can get after the passer, but he just anchors so well. As a rotational piece he could play either but a 3-man rotation of Richardson/Joseph/Johnson makes sense. Bringing in another 3-tech would give them both a developmental piece behind Richardson but also the ability to get after the QB's on 3rd down. Also the reason I still think they wouldn't hesitate to take Hurst at the end of round 1. Hunter, Hurst, Richardson, Griffin on 3rd downs would be absolutely lethal. Think about the pressure you could get only rushing 4. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
I love Crosby big time: strong dude. Nasty run blocker. Really good length. Start him right now at RT.
He has fallen off the national radar a bit but I'd slide him in as RT immediately as well. But ultimately where he plays as a rookie would be dependent on how Remmers looks at guard in camp. The drop-off between say McGlinchey in round one and Crosby in round two isn't massive.  

if hurst is there, wow. but a guy like wynn too. however, we can get decent OL with price and even developmental in later rounds then still pushing Isadora up into that RG role and taking a guy like oliver. So hurst is probably my primary target right now. With that DL and the depth that would give us on the interior.
Geoff, I'm curious about what you think of the depth we have on the outside - obviously BRob can give us a bit of help but can Bower or Weatherly step up into a big-boy role this year? Take some of those snaps from EGriff and Hunter to keep them fresh for the end of the year and still get a few big time sacks/pressures? Who do you think is that guy?

Great mock and really enjoyable to read!

I don't mind the idea of a DB at the top of the draft but would really prefer someone like Justin Reid: he could help in several places and replace Sendejo. Olivier is a good player but he is depth and insurance in case we lose Waynes in 2 years.

Very happy to see Tyrell Crosby. He blocks surprisingly well in space, a key for Vikings linemen.

A lot of good players are identified here, including Pettis, Adams, and Lindsay. I am a little concerned when we pick players with bad medical histories.

Re Jordan Akins - I see the desire to add a move TE. But Vikings have been trying to buy one on the cheap for the last few drafts: Mycole Pruitt, Bucky Hodges...I don't think they will find a good one unless they shop a bit higher in the draft. Maybe time to spend a 3rd rounder on that need? I have heard varying grades for Mark Andrews, from round 1 to 4, could he be available in the 3rd or is that just dreaming?

CB has been brought up often as a potential high round pick, but I'm just not seeing it...it'll take at least two seasons before there is any payoff...I'm probably in the minority, but I'd take my chances with Waynes and Alexander going forward...I think a quicker payoff and bigger need is the OL...if you had gone Price and Crosby along with the other positions you went after, I'd be turgid...