Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I guess we'll see if Cousins was telling the truth...
Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
I hope he does want to play here, but my point is that he may be concerned about going to a run-first team. I'm certain other teams bidding for his services will try to worry him that the Vikings want to minimize passing, play conservative, Zimmer is happy with just 21 points a game... A QB picking a team looks at three factors: money, chances to win, and chances to build his personal stats. (Maybe city, too, and we don't have a great edge there since FA visits are in March..)
I think that's largely a myth. It think it was true when this team had a young QB and was built around Adrian Peterson. But all that has changed. The engine of this offense are its pass catchers. And I think Zimmer would love nothing more than to see this offense become more explosive.  

Holding par with the D in 2018 is going to be a win. To take that next step in the playoffs, the offense has to improve. Agreed, Zimmer would like nothing more than this offense to be more explosive and I am sure that was part of the allure in getting DiFillipo too. 

Geoff has been pretty transparent that neither Teddy or Sam will be brought back as uncontested starters. Not sure Bridgewater will get that anywhere to be honest. Most he'll get is a chance to compete somewhere, maybe here. 

But then that tolling is still hanging out there...Jeebus, who the heck knows what'll happen. Be interesting as heck to watch unfold, thats for sure. 

If Teddy tolls they franchise Case is my expectation,  if not they go all in on Cousins.  I would like to see a Sam vs Teddy competition but I doubt it happens that way.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
If Teddy tolls they franchise Case is my expectation,  if not they go all in on Cousins.  I would like to see a Sam vs Teddy competition but I doubt it happens that way.
Mine too Jimmy -- and I think that's the only way in heck Keenum and Bridgewater would be in camp together in Eagan too - tolling. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Jor-El" said:
I hope he does want to play here, but my point is that he may be concerned about going to a run-first team. I'm certain other teams bidding for his services will try to worry him that the Vikings want to minimize passing, play conservative, Zimmer is happy with just 21 points a game... A QB picking a team looks at three factors: money, chances to win, and chances to build his personal stats. (Maybe city, too, and we don't have a great edge there since FA visits are in March..)
I think that's largely a myth. It think it was true when this team had a young QB and was built around Adrian Peterson. But all that has changed. The engine of this offense are its pass catchers. And I think Zimmer would love nothing more than to see this offense become more explosive.  
I agree that’s a myth. 
Zimmer stated that, because that’s the cutoff line where we start
stacking up the wins with our defense. 
It doesn’t mean he’s happy being mediocre.  I think people get confused by watching what
our offense looked like when we were trying to limp by because we were missing
a lot of key components on offense and extrapolating that to suggest that is
what Zimmers preferred offense looks like.

I do think that Zimmer does wants a QB that minimizes
turnovers, but that is just smart football. 
A turnover is worth about 4 points and 50 yards.  You’re offense has to be really productive to
overcome that.   In each of the last 3 seasons, we’ve been
missing huge chunks of our offense for entire seasons, so I think it’s pretty
natural for a coach to think it’s easier to get the QB to not turn the ball
over than it is to get them to score an extra 4 points.

I don't disagree that Zimmer is willing to open up the offense. My point, though, is that Cousins might hold the generic perception that Minnesota will have a less conservative offense. Zimmer has to convince Cousins - not us - that his stats won't suffer here.

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
I don't disagree that Zimmer is willing to open up the offense. My point, though, is that Cousins might hold the generic perception that Minnesota will have a less conservative offense. Zimmer has to convince Cousins - not us - that his stats won't suffer here.
He's already done that by hiring Flip. Young, out of the box thinker coming from a team that spread the ball around while still running effectively tells Kirk all he needs to know.