Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eli getting benched for Geno ...
Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
I wouldn't call it personal...but I don't like smug arrogance.  Eli is Rodgers but not nearly the QB.
I wouldn't go that far.  Eli compares to Rogers in both skill and arrogance equally.
You are kidding right?    Rogers is top 2 in the league at his position,  Eli isn't likely in anybodys top 5 and in some years not even to 10 to 15.  Eli is nothing special,  just a good QB.  He obviously needs above average play around him to succeed whereas rogers can win with marginal help.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
I wouldn't call it personal...but I don't like smug arrogance.  Eli is Rodgers but not nearly the QB.
I wouldn't go that far.  Eli compares to Rogers in both skill and arrogance equally.
You are kidding right?    Rogers is top 2 in the league at his position,  Eli isn't likely in anybodys top 5 and in some years not even to 10 to 15.  Eli is nothing special,  just a good QB.  He obviously needs above average play around him to succeed whereas rogers can win with marginal help.
Read it again.  Eli's skill compares to Rodgers in the same ratio that his arrogance compares to Rodgers.

@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
Read it again.  Eli's skill compares to Rodgers in the same ratio that his arrogance compares to Rodgers.
Ok,  I see what you were trying to say there. ...and I still say you are kidding right?  Eli checks most all the boxes on the whiny ass arrogant spoiled brat QB department.  The only thing I can say positive for eli...I've never seen him quit,  but I did watch him throw a lot of balls into the turf instead of hanging in and trying to make a play for his team.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
Ok,  I see what you were trying to say there. ...and I still say you are kidding right?  Eli checks most all the boxes on the whiny ass arrogant spoiled brat QB department.  The only thing I can say positive for eli...I've never seen him quit,  but I did watch him throw a lot of balls into the turf instead of hanging in and trying to make a play for his team.
He just isn't in the same league arrogance wise compared to Rodgers.  Spoiled brat, yes.  But he comes across and down to earth in most ways whereas Aaron is just an all around ass.

@"BlackMagic7" said:
I think I got over his draft stuff long ago. I've always liked Eli for the same reason I cheer for an underdog; his brother is on a "chosen by the football gods" level, I think I've always rooted for him to do something better than his brother.

The consecutive start streak being canned is what bothers me the most. A lot of players have this "taken away" from them by serious injuries - to lose a 200+ consecutive start streak over this is trashy. Their season is over. Geno Smith isn't their QB next year, neither is the other guy. Bull----they "need to find out." They already know.

"It is what it is."   I won't argue against Eli having a pretty shitty season (on a shitty team). It's weird to go through the list of NFL iron men on the consecutive start list and think, "what if their coaches had benched them for 1 game" though.
But if you actually read what Eli said, he didn't want to start just to keep the streak alive.  Can't blame the Giants for wanting a look at the other QBs.  I know one is Geno, but you have to take a look. 

They told Eli he could continue starting for the streak (which would be stupid IMO and Eli agrees) but that they would be playing the other QBs as well.  Eli said no. 

And really, the idea of a streak is stupid unless it is real.  Favre's was real, he played through injuries and such.  But to artificially keep a streak alive shows what streaks mean.  Nothing.  Unless you are the top guy, who cares.

Kinda like old Bert giving Strahan the sack record.  Now it really means nothing.  Jared Allen should have the record.
I didn't know he said that. 

For starters though, I think the Giants are a mess around Eli. I know he has played pretty bad and hasn't helped much. 

What isn't real about starting 210+ games in the NFL without missing a game due to injury? That's a hell of an accomplishment for anyone playing the game. There's a difference between flopping to give a guy a "sack" and a player being able to suit up and go. There's a slightly different dynamic to the QB position vs. other positions; it's easier to "groom" guys at positions other than QB. The QB position is generally a spot where stability is forced (unless they get hurt).

At 210 starts, it's not about "giving" him anything; it's about taking that away. Up until now, he's earned every one he's been able to suit up for. Their team is 1-9; they have a goofy excuse in wanting to look at two guys who won't prevent them from acquiring another QB in the off-season anyways.

His stats this year are very similar to Keenums

[Image: 7xi10i68mit8.jpeg]