Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pelissero on Rich Eisen Show on the drafting of JJ McCarthy
(05-19-2024, 08:30 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: So many questions.

Interesting that the Vikings and Patriots had Maye over JJ. But the Commies had JJ over Maye. 

I think many of us on this board nailed that the Giants were bluffing about a QB. But it does seem that their interest in New England's pick was real. Who was that for then? Guessing Marvin Harrison Jr.? 

How far below the top 5 QBs did the Vikings have Bo Nix? Nix definitely has his believers, but it sounds like maybe the Vikings were not one of them. Based on their actions in not trading up into the 4-8 range, the Vikings seemed OK getting one of JJ or Penix at 11. But when Atlanta took Penix and that choice became JJ or Nix, the Vikings were not as happy with that, prompting the trade up to secure JJ. Makes me wonder if the Broncos did jump us for JJ, would the Vikings have even taken Nix at 11? Or would they have taken Turner there?

I admit that I was one of those Nix believers.  Still am.  I think he'll do well in Denver.  He's got three or four more years of major college experience than JJM as a starter.  And the highest completion % in NCAA history last year.  At least I can be conversational with my daughter and son-in-law about the Broncos.

Factoid of little interest to anyone here but me:  my son-in-law still holds the all-class Colorado high school record for the number of tackles in a single game.  Can you imagine 42 tackles by one kid in a single game?  Ever-so-humble, the only thing he said about it was that the opposing coach of that little mountain town school "wasn't very imaginative with his play calling".  Even so, he also is #2 all-class, high school for the number of tackles in a season.  He must have been something as a middle linebacker.  Calm and quiet demeanor, his mother said that he turned into an animal when he put that helmet on.

I have so much respect for Tommy P...he was always thorough and insightful when he was a Strib sports beat reporter. He walks through the step-by-step of who/why during the first third of the first round in a factual/storyline fashion.
[-] The following 3 users Like Montana Tom's post:

JJ McCarthy was my guy earlier in the off-season. Also liked Drake Maye the more I watched him and it seemed like he had fans in the Vikings FO and coaching staff.

I also liked Nix, but I think JJ and Maye have higher ceilings. I keep coming back to JJ reminds me a lot of Burrow, same build, can run and extend plays, good accuracy, leadership coming out of every orifice...

Nix seems like the safest bet to be solid of any of the first round QBs, but is he Baker Mayfield? Or Drew Brees? If he's the former, he's not a bust but you're kinda left wanting more (and I was a big Baker fan when he came out). If he's the latter, you're obviously set but even Drew Brees had the leave the team that drafted him before he became what he was in New Orleans.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MAD GAINZ's post:

(05-19-2024, 09:12 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: Yep PF.....I can have people tell me all day long how 'smart' it was of Atlanta to draft Penix, but taking a weapon like Odunze with Cousin's accuracy would have helped tremendously RIGHT NOW. Atlanta fucked up. And history will show it, IMO. And Kirko doesn't respond well to somebody breathing down his neck. The implosion factor is real. I think the NYGs will give Danny Dimes this year and if its a shit show, then they are all in on Carson Beck.

KC doesn't respond well to somebody breathing down his neck? When has he ever experienced this? Not in college. Not in Washington where e was the one breathing down the franchise QB's neck. And sure as heck had no one breathing down his neck in Minnesota.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bigbone62's post:

Big Grin 
(05-20-2024, 08:58 PM)bigbone62 Wrote: KC doesn't respond well to somebody breathing down his neck? When has he ever experienced this? Not in college. Not in Washington where e was the one breathing down the franchise QB's neck. And sure as heck had no one breathing down his neck in Minnesota.

I think you are forgetting Sean Mannion
Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like FLVike's post:

Just a little speed and athleticism from JJ on this, lmao....

https://x.com/VikesReport/status/1792963692604309943

(05-21-2024, 02:05 PM)StickierBuns Wrote: Just a little speed and athleticism from JJ on this, lmao....

https://x.com/VikesReport/status/1792963692604309943

Major Juice:

https://x.com/alec_lewis/status/1793004326257926288