Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pelissero on Rich Eisen Show on the drafting of JJ McCarthy
Not sure if this had been posted or not, but its a very enlightening 6+ minutes of insight on how the QBs fell and what the thinking was:

Tom does a nice job of explaining the scenarios. I believe what he's saying, it makes sense. The Vikings did prefer Maye, but that doesn't mean they aren't happy with JJM. The interesting part of this is how Jayden Daniels was perceived and that Washington gave real consideration into taking McCarthy at #2. Daniels is no sure bet.....none of them are actually, of course, but Daniels is going to be interesting to watch. The Vikings were right to sweat it out and go with their thought that the Giants wouldn't take a QB. Atlanta still is a head shaker to me with Penix.

So many questions.

Interesting that the Vikings and Patriots had Maye over JJ. But the Commies had JJ over Maye. 

I think many of us on this board nailed that the Giants were bluffing about a QB. But it does seem that their interest in New England's pick was real. Who was that for then? Guessing Marvin Harrison Jr.? 

How far below the top 5 QBs did the Vikings have Bo Nix? Nix definitely has his believers, but it sounds like maybe the Vikings were not one of them. Based on their actions in not trading up into the 4-8 range, the Vikings seemed OK getting one of JJ or Penix at 11. But when Atlanta took Penix and that choice became JJ or Nix, the Vikings were not as happy with that, prompting the trade up to secure JJ. Makes me wonder if the Broncos did jump us for JJ, would the Vikings have even taken Nix at 11? Or would they have taken Turner there?

(05-19-2024, 08:30 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: So many questions.

Interesting that the Vikings and Patriots had Maye over JJ. But the Commies had JJ over Maye. 

I think many of us on this board nailed that the Giants were bluffing about a QB. But it does seem that their interest in New England's pick was real. Who was that for then? Guessing Marvin Harrison Jr.? 

Rumor was that they really wanted Alt so wanted to get ahead of San Diego.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JR44's post:

I think Bo Nix would have went for awhile if Denver didn't take him.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StickierBuns's post:

(05-19-2024, 08:42 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: I think Bo Nix would have went for awhile if Denver didn't take him.

Could be...

My own $ is that he'd be wearing Silver/Black today if Denver passed. They were pretty needy for a QB and would have taken sloppy seconds.

(05-19-2024, 08:30 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: So many questions.

How far below the top 5 QBs did the Vikings have Bo Nix? Nix definitely has his believers, but it sounds like maybe the Vikings were not one of them. Based on their actions in not trading up into the 4-8 range, the Vikings seemed OK getting one of JJ or Penix at 11. But when Atlanta took Penix and that choice became JJ or Nix, the Vikings were not as happy with that, prompting the trade up to secure JJ. Makes me wonder if the Broncos did jump us for JJ, would the Vikings have even taken Nix at 11? Or would they have taken Turner there?

I admit, I was convinced the Gmen were moving on from Danny Dimes. Didnt think JJ would make it past 6 and Vikes were going to be ok with Penix...

Frankly, I would have been too. Just a hunch that if ATL does their part, he'll reward them with a good career. IF (big IF) he can stay injury free...Thats the one thing that gave me a hard pause. 

They sure F'd over KC though - and handed him a bag too. I still have a hard time on them not taking Odunze or a weapon and doubling down on winning now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes purplefaithful's post:

(05-19-2024, 08:48 AM)purplefaithful Wrote: Could be...

My own $ is that he'd be wearing Silver/Black today if Denver passed. They were pretty needy for a QB and would have taken sloppy seconds.

I admit, I was convinced the Gmen were moving on from Danny Dimes. Didnt think JJ would make it past 6 and Vikes were going to be ok with Penix...

Frankly, I would have been too. Just a hunch that if ATL does their part, he'll reward them with a good career. IF (big IF) he can stay injury free...Thats the one thing that gave me a hard pause. 

They sure F'd over KC though - and handed him a bag too. I still have a hard time on them not taking Odunze or a weapon and doubling down on winning now. I think the NYGs are in the Carson Beck sweepstakes for 2025 and they are ok with that.

Yep PF.....I can have people tell me all day long how 'smart' it was of Atlanta to draft Penix, but taking a weapon like Odunze with Cousin's accuracy would have helped tremendously RIGHT NOW. Atlanta fucked up. And history will show it, IMO. And Kirko doesn't respond well to somebody breathing down his neck. The implosion factor is real. I think the NYGs will give Danny Dimes this year and if its a shit show, then they are all in on Carson Beck.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StickierBuns's post:

(05-19-2024, 08:48 AM)purplefaithful Wrote: Could be...

They sure F'd over KC though - and handed him a bag too. I still have a hard time on them not taking Odunze or a weapon and doubling down on winning now.

It doesn't make any sense at all. Their OL is top three. They just drafted a generational back in Bijan. They have an uber-talented TE who just needed a QB who could get him the ball, then they bring in a top 10 QB to run it all. Adding to that a weapon like Odunze or a defensive player like Turner makes perfect sense. Instead, they add a player who won't see the field for at least two years. 

It's as if they said "no, we have no interest in contending in 2024. A succession plan for 2027 is more important."
[-] The following 3 users Like MaroonBells's post:

(05-19-2024, 08:48 AM)purplefaithful Wrote: They sure F'd over KC though - and handed him a bag too. I still have a hard time on them not taking Odunze or a weapon and doubling down on winning now.

I think Odunze may be the surest thing in the draft, he reminds me of Cris Carter with his crisp routes and sure hands.  Atlanta taking Penix could have been a blessing for us, cause with Odunze off the board, Bears could have screwed us over and traded out to someone wanting JJM.
[-] The following 3 users Like JR44's post:

So this is the throw I was talking about a week ago that I couldn't find, at the .55 second mark against Nebraska. Rolling to his left as a right handed QB and firing a missile for a TD (really hard to do as a right handed QB). Its a NFL throw that not every starting NFL QB right now can do. Its part of why he has a really high ceiling. 

[-] The following 4 users Like StickierBuns's post:

(05-19-2024, 09:27 AM)JR44 Wrote: I think Odunze may be the surest thing in the draft, he reminds me of Cris Carter with his crisp routes and sure hands.  Atlanta taking Penix could have been a blessing for us, cause with Odunze off the board, Bears could have screwed us over and traded out to someone wanting JJM.

Yah, Caleb and Odunze going to Chicago in one fell swoop should make all the other NFC North fans a bit queasy. 

And otoh, the board could not have fell better for the Vikings who net JJ and Turner.

Go figure. I havent seen a board go down that well for the Vikings since the 98 draft. 

Time will tell...
[-] The following 2 users Like purplefaithful's post: