Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
You have to be happy
If you had told me yesterday that the Vikings would land both JJ McCarthy and Dallas Turner and still have the '25 1st I would've made you pee in a cup.
[-] The following 10 users Like MaroonBells's post:

(04-26-2024, 06:42 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: If you had told me yesterday that the Vikings would land both JJ McCarthy and Dallas Turner and still have the '25 1st I would've made you pee in a cup.

I think thats about all we got left till 2026 Cool  but yah. 

We could look back at last night very fondly a year or 2 from now. 

And we got the cap in an unbelievable place too 

How we acquire players next year across FA and Draft will look different. It has to.
[-] The following 1 user Likes purplefaithful's post:

(04-26-2024, 12:17 AM)Vanguard83 Wrote: My bad. I thought the statement was this evening AFTER he was picked. (Reading comprehension 101)

For those who remember Rosanne Rosanna Danna .........NEVERMIND.

Nice. That is one I haven't heard in a long, long, long time. "Oh. That's very different. Never mind!"
[-] The following 1 user Likes comet52's post:

(04-26-2024, 12:07 AM)JR44 Wrote: He was well coached, the statement is a classic "closing" sales statement, you are trying to see if there are any objections before they make a decision so that you have the opportunity to refute any of those concerns instead of letting them walk away with doubts.  Good job by JJ.

I was about to say the same thing after being in sales and sales management (hiring) for about 30 years.  It is a classic closing statement that actually puts a little pressure on the hiring manager to answer and show some of their hand.  If Kwesi answered, well we are looking at all the QB's and going to come to a consensus or something along those lines then he is basically blowing him off.  

But Kwesi answered first with a NO and then gives up more information about their thought process.  He has all the talent we are looking for but not the passing resume which every team knows.  The first answer being NO about questions or concerns is a positive close.

Back to the Original thread,

Yes, I am very happy with this draft. I wanted a QB at 11 if we couldn't get to Maye/Daniels. Also wanted to keep the 23 which we did and then moved up for Dallas Turner! What a steal at 17! Some had him the best defensive player in the draft. The draft capital we gave up are bodies 95% of the time. The 4th round and later has about a 3% chance of landing an everyday starter.

I had been advocating to anyone listening (no, I don't have a pipeline to Kwesi or KOC) to get TWO first-round contributors instead of gambling our future on one kid. I was not impressed with Maye (good for you New England), and I would have been happy with either Penix or Nix. For us to jump ahead of Denver's attempt to trade with the Jets and get JJM was an unforeseen coup and I applaud Kwesi for having the balls to do so. They must have had JJM that much higher on their board than Nix, as I was a Bo Nix fan.

So now we have two potential cornerstone foundational players to add this year.

Next year, we won't have much draft capital, but should have $100mm to splurge in free agency.

"Competitive Rebuild"? Maybe finally. I like where we are. We have the pieces...both players and coaches.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Montana Tom's post: