Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Cautionary Tale
Quote: @minny65 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@Bullazin said:
I would not be upset with Penix at 11. He’s built for this push it down the hashes passing game.  Hes a little spindly in his lower half, and he chucked and ducked in the CFP game.  Both worrisome. 

Kwesi is gonna have to identify that stuff and weed him out if need be. Better yet we can trade down 8 spots, pick up a 3rd and still get him.  There are about 15  possibly elite prospects in the draft not counting QB’s so that bodes well for a possible trade down. 
I heard a good draftnik take on Penix vs JJM...

Said that Penix (more than most) needs a good platform under him to maintain accuracy and that this could be problematic in the NFL.

Just significantly less time to throw in pro's vs college, need to move around in/out of the pocket more on Sundays. 
This was a big, distinguishing trait between the two.

I guess everyone has a take...
that may be true, but one thing about him is that he is very very quick to get reset and get the ball out.  most guys rolling out with flip the ball without even trying to set up,  I have seen Penix roll out,  and like lightning get his momentum stopped, set his feet and deliver strikes.  He is very much an enigma for me as I just dont know if his game will transition well,  but damn if it wont be fun watching him somewhere,  the kid is just fun when he isnt getting the shit kicked out of him or isnt nursing an injury.
We all need a good platform Smile

Honestly not picking on purplefaith but that sounds like a no-brainer to me.  It's like saying a QB needs a clean pocket.  Yes they all thrive in a clean pocket on a f'in platform Smile
Yeah, some of the assessments by the 'experts' usually contradict themselves several times in the same article. I'm starting to go blind....and its still what, 6 weeks away? Yuck.

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JR44 said:
If Cousins was 29 like he was when Washington let him go, we would not be having this conversation, because he would have already had an extension.  Letting a healthy 29 year old go as opposed to a 36 year old coming off a major surgery are two completely different situations. 
You're right that the situations are not perfectly equal. And if you think it's time for the Vikings to draft Cousins' eventual  replacement because of his age, you'll get no argument from me. 

But this is a post about how hard it is for teams to find good QBs. There are at least a dozen teams who need one. Washington has been through 12 different starters in the 6 seasons since Kirk left. The Bears have spent 104 years searching for a QB. The Lions spent 60 years looking for a guy despite picking in the top 10 perennially. Harrington, Ware, Chuck Long. All 1st rounders, all busts. And the Browns with Mayfield, Manziel, Quinn, Couch. All 1st rounders, all busts.

I think the lesson here is that when you have a good QB, you keep him until you have a competent replacement.

We have a QB.  We should re-sign said QB.  We should also draft a QB in the 1st to replace him.  Preferable this year. 

I think we'll look back on letting Kirk walk as a mistake in 5-6 years. 

IT won't take 5-6 years, it'll take 1/4 of the first season. 

@Maroon is right - such a simple premise; keep your good QB till you have one in the wings. Leave it to the Vikings to f it up.

Hey Vikings, look one state to the east to see how to manage a qb in the pros.