Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
F.A. 2024 (No Kirk Zone)
Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

With the possibility that Wilson, Justin Fields and Mac Jones are traded in the coming weeks, there’s a pretty strong possibility that just one of five quarterbacks drafted in the first round in 2021 will remain with the team that drafted him. That one is Trevor Lawrence of the Jacksonville Jaguars, and that gives you one heck of a cautionary tale, especially when you consider that class was seen as a good one at the position, just like this year’s class is.
Its why those that so easily want to discard Cousins might need to take a deeper dive into NFL Draft history.
That's it exactly. Before the draft, all these guys look great. All of that changes 2 or 3 years down the road. When the odds finally shake out, you're left with a painful truth: that the majority of even 1st round QBs do not work out. 

The 15 or so teams who list QB among their draft needs this year should tell us all we need to know. Mostly, that when you have a good one, you keep him...at least until you have a competent replacement.

The fact that the Vikings are getting legitimately close to losing the triggerman for what is probably the NFL's best WR/WR/TE group, hoping they roll 7s in the draft, is playing with fire. And it could be a decision this team regrets for decades.

I think that's a bit hyperbole. Worse case scenario the team will regret the decision while Kirko plays effectively. Obviously that's not going to be for decades. =)

@"StickyBun" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

With the possibility that Wilson, Justin Fields and Mac Jones are traded in the coming weeks, there’s a pretty strong possibility that just one of five quarterbacks drafted in the first round in 2021 will remain with the team that drafted him. That one is Trevor Lawrence of the Jacksonville Jaguars, and that gives you one heck of a cautionary tale, especially when you consider that class was seen as a good one at the position, just like this year’s class is.
Its why those that so easily want to discard Cousins might need to take a deeper dive into NFL Draft history.
That's it exactly. Before the draft, all these guys look great. All of that changes 2 or 3 years down the road. When the odds finally shake out, you're left with a painful truth: that the majority of even 1st round QBs do not work out. 

The 15 or so teams who list QB among their draft needs this year should tell us all we need to know. Mostly, that when you have a good one, you keep him...at least until you have a competent replacement.

The fact that the Vikings are getting legitimately close to losing the triggerman for what is probably the NFL's best WR/WR/TE group, hoping they roll 7s in the draft, is playing with fire. And it could be a decision this team regrets for decades.

I think you have to play the odds though. Kirk will be 36 and coming off a major injury for the first time in his career. Even if you lose out and he goes and plays well for another organization, what's that shelf life look like? 2, maybe 3 years tops...if you are lucky before the overwhelming odds catch up to him. That's why, yes, it might suck in the short term, but it's a decision you realistically would of had to make anyways in the next couple years. So I don't see it being guaranteed a decision we'd regret for decades 

Zach Wilson is one QB that I was wrong about. I absolutely thought he would be legit. See, I am wrong sometimes.

Quote: @"Knucklehead" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

I think that's a bit hyperbole. Worse case scenario the team will regret the decision while Kirko plays effectively. Obviously that's not going to be for decades. =)
Just a reminder that the Bears have been looking for a QB for 104 years. Kirk's worst year as a starter was better than the best QB year the Bears have had in their entire history.  If we draft that guy this year, great! I'm just saying it's not that easy. It might take a while. 

@"Knucklehead" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

Just a reminder that the Bears have been looking for a QB for 104 years. Kirk's worst year as a starter was better than the best QB year the Bears have had in their entire history.  If we draft that guy this year, great! I'm just saying it's not that easy. It might take a while. 
But you feel we're a good organization, better than the Bears by far, right?  So why is taking a calculated risk to improve the team over the long run something that suddenly makes us equivalent to the Bears and their history of mistakes?  Whether Kirk is here next year or not, I don't really get this line of thinking about the Vikings (assuming we really are a better organization than Chicago).

Quote: @"comet52" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Knucklehead" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

But you feel we're a good organization, better than the Bears by far, right?  So why is taking a calculated risk to improve the team over the long run something that suddenly makes us equivalent to the Bears and their history of mistakes?  Whether Kirk is here next year or not, I don't really get this line of thinking about the Vikings (assuming we really are a better organization than Chicago).
The odds. It's not just the Bears who have spent 104 years searching for a QB. Before landing Stafford, the Lions spent 60 years looking for a guy. And even then Stafford never won them anything. Harrington, Ware, Chuck Long. All 1st rounders, all busts. How about the Browns? Mayfield, Manziel, Quinn, Couch. All 1st rounders, all busts. 

I'm not saying we shouldn't try. I'm all for it. But it sure would be a lot better if Cousins remained the starter until we get that guy. I'm just surprised at how many people seem to believe we're just going to pull a franchise QB outta the draft on our first try since Ponder 13 years ago. Again, it's not that easy. It might take a year or two...or 60. 

@"comet52" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Knucklehead" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

The odds. It's not just the Bears who have spent 104 years searching for a QB. Before landing Stafford, the Lions spent 60 years looking for a guy. And even then Stafford never won them anything. Harrington, Ware, Chuck Long. All 1st rounders, all busts. How about the Browns? Mayfield, Manziel, Quinn, Couch. All 1st rounders, all busts. 

I'm not saying we shouldn't try. I'm all for it. But it sure would be a lot better if Cousins remained the starter until we get that guy. I'm just surprised at how many people seem to believe we're just going to pull a franchise QB outta the draft on our first try since Ponder 13 years ago. Again, it's not that easy. It might take a year or two...or 60. 
Odds of hitting on any QB in the draft are quite low like you have been reminding us. The odds of not trying to take one are zero. The odds of hitting on a top drafted QB, though low, are way higher than one taken later.
The odds of hitting a gem like Brady late are astronomical.(luck).
Cousins pro expiration date is looming. I think they wish to extend him for 2 years and select his successor.
If the successor doesn't work out, select another.
In an ideal world that is how it might work. But there are so many factors working against it that it will be difficult. Not the least of which is letting Cousins reach the threshold of free agency. Seems to me it's up to Kirk to decide whether to cross that threshold or not. I was surprised Kwesi decided to play it that way!

Since the day that Kirko signed with this team he's been a polarizing player & the current contract negotiations are no different. The fanbase seems to be divided into 2 camps. One camp thinks that the worse case scenario is that he leaves, continues to play effectively & maybe even wins a SB with another team. For the other camp, the worse case scenario is that he's resigned to a multi-year contract at the market rate for QBs & he then reinjures the the achilles, suffers another injury or his play simply falls off the cliff.
No telling which scenario will play out & I don't envy this regime for having to make this decision.

Quote: @"Knucklehead" said:
Since the day that Kirko signed with this team he's been a polarizing player. The fanbase seems to be divided into 2 camps. One camp thinks that the worse case scenario is that he leaves, continues to play effectively & maybe even wins a SB with another team. For the other camp, the worse case scenario is that he's resigned to a multi-year contract at the market rate for QBs & he then reinjures the the achilles, suffers another injury or his play simply falls off the cliff.
No telling which scenario will play out & I don't envy this regime for having to make this decision.
Viking fans have damn near always been splintered re: QB. The Culpepper debates were epic. Bridgewater, Keenum and Tarvaris..

Go down the list. 

The only one that may have escaped that is Tark - and even he had his detractors as the Vikings went O'fer in SB's.

I guess we were all united when it comes to Ponder - but for the wrong reasons. 

@"Knucklehead" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

How much of a QB prospects failures are on the organization or system or supporting cast and not necessarily on the prospect?  Seems long odds that all those stud college guys never pan out as pros,  and as you not often with the same organizations,  but yet underdrafted players at all positions, including QB somehow get light it up as a pro. 

I tend to think it's more the situation than the player.  Of course some are just dip shits and would fuck up any opportunity ( manziel) but if you create a situation and give most of these kids a grounded locker room and quality supporting cast I think your hit rate goes up substantially.  It's easy to focus on the kids that fail,  what about the franchises that seem to hit on more than their share,  what are they doing differently?  Or are they just multi- generationally lucky?