Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Josh Dobbs
Quote: @comet52 said:
@AGRforever said:
@jargomcfargo said:
@StickyBun said:
@comet52 said:
I said it as far back as prior to the Denver game - Dobbs is a known commodity and he would crash hard.  

I get why fans would be talking about how he was gonna get a 30 mil/yr contract after the Atlanta game, haha, but why KOC, with years of experience and a big staff of experts on hand, needed to fuck around with Dobbs through nearly 3 full games after Dobbs was clearly reverting to form late vs the Saints is mystifying.

If Coach Hot Air would have just switched to Mullens at the half in Denver, something which seemed obvious at the time, there's a reasonable chance we're 9-4 or 8-5 right now.

But I'm sure I'm about to hear crap like "fastest to 20 wins in Viking history"!   This guy is stumbling badly in many areas.  If it weren't for Flores who is bound to leave soon we'd be 2-11 right now and coach genius would probably be looking at an exit.  
The people really talking seriously about Dobbs as the QB next year did so out of their dislike of Cousins. Easy to spot. Dobbs is exactly what he's always been, a guy not nearly good enough to start anywhere for more than a game or two. Mullens should have started the whole game yesterday.
Sorry to be so negative, but I don't see Mullins as much better than Dobbs.
KOC's offensive strategy is almost wholly dependent upon QB play. Some surprise coming from a former QB.
With no consequential run game and no starting caliber QB's, he will be hard pressed to coach his way to success.
He has play makers and nobody to deliver the ball to them consistently.

There are very very very few instances of successful seasons where the starting QB goes down midseason.  KOC gets a mulligan on the season. I think it was fair for KOC to give Dobbs a chance.  I probably would have called it a day at halftime.  I have no idea if we're going anywhere this season, but it would be a miracle if KOC got Mullens to ball out the rest of the season and actually make a real run.
Thats why some of us were calling for taking a look at Hall the rest of the way even after the lucky Dobbs Atlanta game.  But the organization apparently believes a playoff appearance with Dobbs or now Mullens is some sort of imperative.  The fact it will end ugly doesn't seem to matter to them.  And we're just along for the ride.
It ends ugly for 31 teams every year. I think the Vikings will be better off in 2024 having gone to the postseason this year than if they didn't. The value of playoff experience and building a winning culture is probably worth two or three times the value of moving from, say, pick 22 to 12 in the draft. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@comet52 said:
@AGRforever said:
@jargomcfargo said:
@StickyBun said:
@comet52 said:
I said it as far back as prior to the Denver game - Dobbs is a known commodity and he would crash hard.  

I get why fans would be talking about how he was gonna get a 30 mil/yr contract after the Atlanta game, haha, but why KOC, with years of experience and a big staff of experts on hand, needed to fuck around with Dobbs through nearly 3 full games after Dobbs was clearly reverting to form late vs the Saints is mystifying.

If Coach Hot Air would have just switched to Mullens at the half in Denver, something which seemed obvious at the time, there's a reasonable chance we're 9-4 or 8-5 right now.

But I'm sure I'm about to hear crap like "fastest to 20 wins in Viking history"!   This guy is stumbling badly in many areas.  If it weren't for Flores who is bound to leave soon we'd be 2-11 right now and coach genius would probably be looking at an exit.  
The people really talking seriously about Dobbs as the QB next year did so out of their dislike of Cousins. Easy to spot. Dobbs is exactly what he's always been, a guy not nearly good enough to start anywhere for more than a game or two. Mullens should have started the whole game yesterday.
Sorry to be so negative, but I don't see Mullins as much better than Dobbs.
KOC's offensive strategy is almost wholly dependent upon QB play. Some surprise coming from a former QB.
With no consequential run game and no starting caliber QB's, he will be hard pressed to coach his way to success.
He has play makers and nobody to deliver the ball to them consistently.

There are very very very few instances of successful seasons where the starting QB goes down midseason.  KOC gets a mulligan on the season. I think it was fair for KOC to give Dobbs a chance.  I probably would have called it a day at halftime.  I have no idea if we're going anywhere this season, but it would be a miracle if KOC got Mullens to ball out the rest of the season and actually make a real run.
Thats why some of us were calling for taking a look at Hall the rest of the way even after the lucky Dobbs Atlanta game.  But the organization apparently believes a playoff appearance with Dobbs or now Mullens is some sort of imperative.  The fact it will end ugly doesn't seem to matter to them.  And we're just along for the ride.
It ends ugly for 31 teams every year. I think the Vikings will be better off in 2024 having gone to the postseason this year than if they didn't. The value of playoff experience and building a winning culture is probably worth two or three times the value of moving from, say, pick 22 to 12 in the draft. 
Especially when the draft is a complete guess. Im fairly convinced more picks is the right move. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@ArizonaViking said:
The one thing Josh Dobbs lacks is...poise.  If the route isn't immediately there, panic sets in.
Yep. And IMO this is the biggest difference between QBs who succeed in the NFL and those who fail. That ability to stand strong in the pocket, stay calm, feel the pressure without looking at it, keep eyes up, go through progressions, and deliver the ball on time, whether your guy is open or not. All in 2 or 3 seconds.

Easier said than done. But that was the glaring difference between Dobbs and Mullens. On Mullens' first two passes, he got to the bottom of his drop and fired a ball to receivers who weren't really open. He hit one, missed another. But that's what you have to do. 

Even in Dobbs two wins, you could see that this was going to be a problem for him. 

Not disagreeing with you, but I don’t think poise is an inherent trait.  I think it’s something that is an expression
of the comfort they feel in the offense. 
I think there’s a wide variety of factors that can make a QB look poised
or not poised.  Put them behind a bad
OLine.  They’re going to look less
poised.  Don’t trust your receivers to be
in the right spot?  They’re going to look
less poised.  New to a system?  Going to look less poised.  Haven’t practiced a play enough to get the
muscle memory right?  Going to look less
poised.  Defense is playing a scheme that
attacks your offense in different ways than you are used to?  Going to look less poised.

I agree with your earlier post in that I think he’d look a
lot better with a full offseason in the system, but I’ve heard people say that KOC
is a little more on the complex side of things, and probably going to take
longer to really get everything sorted out, so I’m not sure a few more weeks is
going to do it.

7 teams in 7 seasons, you might be waiting a bit for said poise, IDK…

Like the coaches, I was good with Dobbs until I wasn't. I think they handled it all fine, but he's toast now. Dobbs should be QB3 moving forward.
I totally get why fans wanna see more Hall. I wanna see more of him too. But Mullens played alright in relief so he'll get the chance to run with it until the wheels come off for him it looks like. When that'll be I don't have any idea. His stats for last game were solid and he looked like Elway compared to Dobbs, but he almost threw 2 picks (including the first throw that went off the defenders' hands to TJ) in about a dozen attempts. So I don't think his leash will be very long either. We may see Hall yet. If playoff chances are doomed at any point going forward then it should 100% be Hall. KO better not pull a Zim.