Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are the chances Flores is back @ DC next year?

The defense has managed to put its stamp on every single win to this point.
Those hot summer days in July and August provided the first sign that things might be different for the Vikings.

As the offense walked off the field during training camp at TCO Performance Center, many players shared a similar sentiment regarding the defense.
Everybody was glad they didn’t have to go against new defensive coordinator Brian Flores anywhere other than practice.
That momentum has carried over into this season as the Vikings have quickly turned it around on defense. They play with an aggressiveness under Flores that was sorely lacking under former defensive coordinator Ed Donatell. As a result, the defense has steadily improved, with seemingly a different player rising to the occasion each week.
That was on display on Sunday in Atlanta as the Vikings earned an improbable 31-28 win over the Falcons. Though journeyman quarterback Josh Dobbs emerged as the story of the game, and head coach Kevin O’Connell garnered high praise for his efforts, the Vikings wouldn’t have been in a position to win had it not been for the defense.
Whether it was pass rusher Danielle Hunter dominating on a goal line stand, cornerback Akayleb Evans forcing a fumble that helped turn the tide, or cornerback Byron Murphy hauling in an interception late in the game, the defense kept the Vikings alive until the offense finally hit its stride.
“We made some big plays,” Flores said. “It was great to be a part of a game where everybody chipped in.”
It was exactly the type of showing Flores was looking for from his players. He knew the defense was going to have to lead the way with rookie quarterback Jaren Hall making the first start of his NFL career for the Vikings. It became even more incumbent when Dobbs got thrown into the fire less than 15 minutes into the game.
“My message to our guys was, ‘Look, we don’t have to play perfect, but we’ve got to play damn good,’ ” Flores said. “It wasn’t a perfect game. We just kept fighting and kept trying to play complementary football. It worked out for us by the skin of our teeth.”
That has been the story throughout this season for the Vikings as the defense has managed to put its stamp on every single win to this point.
In the win over the Carolina Panthers, pass rusher D.J. Wonnum returned a fumble for a touchdown. In the win over the Chicago Bears, linebacker Jordan Hicks returned a fumble for a touchdown. In the win over the San Francisco 49ers, safety Cam Bynum recorded a pair of interceptions to seal the deal. In the win over the Green Bay Packers, safety Josh Metellus literally ripped the ball out of an opposing player’s hands for an interception.
The list goes on. The group seems to be gaining more confidence with each game. Now the key for the Vikings is to keep it rolling.
“We know that there are challenges every week,” Flores said. “We know we’ve got to prepare a specific way and then we’ve got to execute.”
https://www.twincities.com/2023/11/07/how-defensive-coordinator-brian-flores-has-helped-vikings-turn-things-around/

Quote: @"pattersaur" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
Who knows? Not much to be done anyway, why worry about it. I think Flores is still a bit radioactive when it comes to being a HC. I wouldn't put the odds that high. Interviewing for a spot? Sure. Actually getting one? I don't think so. You know how the NFL loves their minority interview requirements. Flores probably won't put himself through the charade, at least not next year. I heard he really likes Minnesota.

If he does leave, I think KOC knows what he wants in a DC and that would be a Flores type. Aggressive. Unpredictable. Find a younger guy with those tendencies and you'll be ok. 
I think we get a bonus draft pick too, but only if he stays with us for 2 seasons. So that'd be a cherry on top if he does stick around for another year. Regardless of what happens, what a job he's done versus the garbage we witnessed last year! Sooo many chunk runs and big plays given up last season.
He's done a great job. Metellus, Hicks, Hunter and Bynum seem to be flourishing in his system. But we've also added some good players like Pace, Murphy, Blackmon and Evans. Love to see what Flores could do with another year with Hunter, along with maybe a top free agent and a day two draft pick (assuming day one is the QB).

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"pattersaur" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
Who knows? Not much to be done anyway, why worry about it. I think Flores is still a bit radioactive when it comes to being a HC. I wouldn't put the odds that high. Interviewing for a spot? Sure. Actually getting one? I don't think so. You know how the NFL loves their minority interview requirements. Flores probably won't put himself through the charade, at least not next year. I heard he really likes Minnesota.

If he does leave, I think KOC knows what he wants in a DC and that would be a Flores type. Aggressive. Unpredictable. Find a younger guy with those tendencies and you'll be ok. 
I think we get a bonus draft pick too, but only if he stays with us for 2 seasons. So that'd be a cherry on top if he does stick around for another year. Regardless of what happens, what a job he's done versus the garbage we witnessed last year! Sooo many chunk runs and big plays given up last season.
He's done a great job. Metellus, Hicks, Hunter and Bynum seem to be flourishing in his system. But we've also added some good players like Pace, Murphy, Blackmon and Evans. Love to see what Flores could do with another year with Hunter, along with maybe a top free agent and a day two draft pick (assuming day one is the QB).
Oh for the days of a top FA signing to meet an immediate need...

Quote: @"Mattyman" said:

IMHO None of the job openings are gonna lure him away after his experience in Miami

I think he returns.
This was my first gut reaction too.

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"pattersaur" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

Oh for the days of a top FA signing to meet an immediate need...
I have a hunch we're going to be very active in free agency. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
I say 50/50...  :/

Harbaugh will be in S.Diego and there will be more openings for sure with Vegas etc. among em. 
What i like about your Harbaugh scenario is that we would prolly end up with their current HC as our DC if Bflo moves on. 

OTOH, what i want is BFLO to buy in here maybe as Asst HC if necessary, and continue to build his vision alongside KOC.  That would be the shit.