Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KOC owns it
Listened closely to KOC and Kirk address the situation.  Filtering through the non-answers and politeness, here is what I gleaned: 

KOC:  Did not want to spike the ball.  Advantage in striking quickly and not letting the Chargers change personnel or scheme a defense.  Problem with the noise/communication system was an issue.  The throw to Hock was a play they might have called even if they had spiked the ball and had more time to breathe.  Unaddressed -- why did you not have a second play called on the 4th down call?

Kirko:  I do have the power to do what I want in that situation.  However, I am still butt hurt by getting called out by KOC for running a QB sneak without explicit permission last year in the Buffalo game.  So now I really don't know what I am supposed to do.  There was too much crowd noise and I could not hear the play being called into my headset and just had to get up to the line and run a play.

Question for the group:  Is there a better angle on the last play?  On the radio this morning they were saying the pass hit Hock right in the hands and it should have been a TD.  Should Hock have caught the ball?  I know it is irrelevant at this point, but curious on thoughts nonetheless.

Quote: @mgobluevikes said:
@pattersaur said:
I still like KO and think he needs a lot more time and the chance to get “his own” QB, but yeah that was a mess late. It was a no-brainer spike situation. Everyone on and off the field involved is to blame for that bungling.
Quote: @pattersaur said:
I still like KO and think he needs a lot more time and the chance to get “his own” QB, but yeah that was a mess late. It was a no-brainer spike situation. Everyone on and off the field involved is to blame for that bungling.
We had a QB throw  for 346 yds. We had receivers drop at least 3 balls that could have won or set up the win. Getting the top QB in next yrs. draft isn't going to fix what ails this franchise. We have a shitty D-line, shitty LBer's, marginal DB's, a shitty O-line, and marginal RB's. Other than that everything's swell.
 If the Vikings
acquire a QB that they believe is likely to be capable of winning a SB, they
can mortgage the future and go out and buy the free agents needed to fill many
of our roster holes.  Cousins is not an
elite QB.  We should always be on the
lookout for one, and it would be foolish to not draft one, just because we have
other holes on the roster. 
  Furthermore,
our offense is very solid for a rookie QB to come into.  It’s not like they would be going into a
situation where the team is so broken that we break the rookie QB as well.

Quote: @medaille said:
@mgobluevikes said:
@pattersaur said:
We had a QB throw  for 346 yds. We had receivers drop at least 3 balls that could have won or set up the win. Getting the top QB in next yrs. draft isn't going to fix what ails this franchise. We have a shitty D-line, shitty LBer's, marginal DB's, a shitty O-line, and marginal RB's. Other than that everything's swell.
 If the Vikings
  Furthermore,
our offense is very solid for a rookie QB to come into.  It’s not like they would be going into a

This offense is NOT solid. More than that, the defense is lacking talent on every level and in depth. Putting an elite QB in this offense would produce the same results we're seeing now. Plugging all of the holes via FA is a pipe dream. This team has a big rebuild ahead, and to get it done more quickly than 5-6 yrs., it has to be done through the draft, with a team of better minds than what's been shown over the past several years.    

Quote: @mgobluevikes said:
@medaille said:
@mgobluevikes said:
@pattersaur said:
 If the Vikings
  Furthermore,

This offense is NOT solid. More than that, the defense is lacking talent on every level and in depth. Putting an elite QB in this offense would produce the same results we're seeing now. Plugging all of the holes via FA is a pipe dream. This team has a big rebuild ahead, and to get it done more quickly than 5-6 yrs., it has to be done through the draft, with a team of better minds than what's been shown over the past several years.    
I gotta agree.  I'm starting to see a team that might do double digit losses annually going forward.  The cupboard is bare on D, there's no apparent plan/path to a qbotf, and the new brain trust doesn't seem to have things on an upward path.  The bump from the HC's rah-rah ran out at the midpoint last year and since then it's a lot of unanswered questions.  The g.m. isn't setting the world on fire either.  

Offense can't be solid with OL issues, run game issues and play calling issues. But more money is needed to fix them hence getting a rookie qb. Time to reset. 

Competitive rebuild my arse.  Come next offseason and draft the only positions that are solid are WR core (assuming Addison keeps it up) and OL Tackles (assuming health).  That is it and that is not competitive.  I am a little concerned that a tear it down rebuild is in the hands of Kwesi who has not had a very good two-year start.  Drafts look pretty bad, as well as FA's.  Let's hope we can find a franchise QB and go from there even if it is the blind squirrel approachSmile

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
Offense can't be solid with OL issues, run game issues and play calling issues. But more money is needed to fix them hence getting a rookie qb. Time to reset. 
It's not just about money. It's about recognizing unique talent in the draft, planning drafts more than a season ahead, and prioritizing positions that traditionally hold longer term value. Staying ahead of the curve has never occurred to this organization's front office other than when looking at WR and RB.  

Quote: @minny65 said:
I am a little concerned that a tear it down rebuild is in the hands of Kwesi who has not had a very good two-year start.  Drafts look pretty bad, as well as FA's.
My concern as well.