@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
@1VikesFan said:
@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
Watching the season team highlight recap on NFL Network today really makes you realize the impact Cook had last season in a lot of these come from behind wins;

- 53 yard TD run in the 4th quarter at Miami
- 81 yard TD run in the 3rd quarter at Buffalo
- 12 yard, one handed TD catch in the 4th quarter at Washington
- 64 yard TD reception versus the Colts in the 4th quarter taking a short pass and turning it into a huge play. 

All these plays were huge catalysts in coming back in these games. Anybody that doesn't think we are going to miss Cooks explosiveness and has "ho-hummed" his release is fooling themselves..
I don't think there's a Viking fan on the planet who would argue Cook wasn't a good running back. He was. One of the best in the NFL. So all these facts are unnecessary. We are unquestionably downgrading the RB position on paper.

But the pertinent question was is he worth his $12M cap hit? Or can we be almost as effective running the ball (or AS effective, or perhaps even MORE effective) with a the stable of lesser, but promising RBs in a committee at a fraction of the cost? 

Every decision is a cost/benefit analysis. And, I say this as one of the biggest Dalvin fans on the board, I think the Vikings made the right one. 
I think for KOC he really isn't interested in running the ball. He'd rather throw it around the yard 50 times a game and use the run as a clear secondary option, so it probably matters a lot less who the runner is. This has been brought up a lot on NFL Radio when discussing Cooks release. They just need a guy back there, and it's a far cry from the Zimmer era where we clearly wanted to establish a running game and play more physical on offense. All this makes the Oliver signing even more of a head scratcher. If you really want to run the ball and be more committed to it...wouldn't you want the best back you could get? 

We'll see. I think it will be a different offense this year. It remains to be seen if it's for the better. I just don't believe you cut a top 5 RB in his prime and can reasonably expect to get the same production 
Have you not been paying attention? Word on the street is that KOC intends to not only run the ball more, but run more effectively, more efficiently. Yes, likely fewer 60 yard runs, but also fewer 1-yard losses....and more 4-6 yard gains. I think that's the idea. And that's one of the reasons (money being the first) we're replacing Dalvin with a committee. And why we brought in the NFL's best run blocking TE. Though I will say that I think we'll all be surprised by what Oliver brings to the passing game. 
Oh I've been paying attention, but I'll believe it when I see it. Just like I'll believe Oliver becomes a big pass catching option in this offense when I see it. If I were a betting man, I'd bet we still pass the ball a ton more due to our defense still sucking and the running game being mediocre to just ineffective. Bradbury is still Bradbury. ONeill is returning from a major injury so we'll see how quickly he rounds into form. Ingram needs to show marked improvement from last season. We averaged 4.1 yards per run on the season, and the only playoff team that was worse was Tampa and their mash unit of an offensive line. We did nothing to improve our run game up front and we need to be better. Everybody blaming Cook for 1 yard runs or runs for loss is misguided 
Really sucks that your not the GM supafreak84, you have all the answers to what's ailing the team and what Kwesi should have done differently 
I didn't go to an Ivy League school, but otherwise my football resume is just as good as his...so maybe so 
Wow, I wasn't aware you spent 9 years in NFL front offices--4 years at manager level, 3 years at director level and 2 years at VP level--before jumping aboard the Longship. 
Better yet, his draft resume is incomparable, not a single bust on it.
Lol you all are right. Kwesi is the greatest GM ever and was absolutely hired for his outstanding resume navigating personnel and football experience. What was I thinking even questioning it..

Quote: @greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
@1VikesFan said:
@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
Watching the season team highlight recap on NFL Network today really makes you realize the impact Cook had last season in a lot of these come from behind wins;

- 64 yard TD reception versus the Colts in the 4th quarter taking a short pass and turning it into a huge play. 

All these plays were huge catalysts in coming back in these games. Anybody that doesn't think we are going to miss Cooks explosiveness and has "ho-hummed" his release is fooling themselves..
I don't think there's a Viking fan on the planet who would argue Cook wasn't a good running back. He was. One of the best in the NFL. So all these facts are unnecessary. We are unquestionably downgrading the RB position on paper.

But the pertinent question was is he worth his $12M cap hit? Or can we be almost as effective running the ball (or AS effective, or perhaps even MORE effective) with a the stable of lesser, but promising RBs in a committee at a fraction of the cost? 

Every decision is a cost/benefit analysis. And, I say this as one of the biggest Dalvin fans on the board, I think the Vikings made the right one. 
I think for KOC he really isn't interested in running the ball. He'd rather throw it around the yard 50 times a game and use the run as a clear secondary option, so it probably matters a lot less who the runner is. This has been brought up a lot on NFL Radio when discussing Cooks release. They just need a guy back there, and it's a far cry from the Zimmer era where we clearly wanted to establish a running game and play more physical on offense. All this makes the Oliver signing even more of a head scratcher. If you really want to run the ball and be more committed to it...wouldn't you want the best back you could get? 

We'll see. I think it will be a different offense this year. It remains to be seen if it's for the better. I just don't believe you cut a top 5 RB in his prime and can reasonably expect to get the same production 
Have you not been paying attention? Word on the street is that KOC intends to not only run the ball more, but run more effectively, more efficiently. Yes, likely fewer 60 yard runs, but also fewer 1-yard losses....and more 4-6 yard gains. I think that's the idea. And that's one of the reasons (money being the first) we're replacing Dalvin with a committee. And why we brought in the NFL's best run blocking TE. Though I will say that I think we'll all be surprised by what Oliver brings to the passing game. 
Oh I've been paying attention, but I'll believe it when I see it. Just like I'll believe Oliver becomes a big pass catching option in this offense when I see it. If I were a betting man, I'd bet we still pass the ball a ton more due to our defense still sucking and the running game being mediocre to just ineffective. Bradbury is still Bradbury. ONeill is returning from a major injury so we'll see how quickly he rounds into form. Ingram needs to show marked improvement from last season. We averaged 4.1 yards per run on the season, and the only playoff team that was worse was Tampa and their mash unit of an offensive line. We did nothing to improve our run game up front and we need to be better. Everybody blaming Cook for 1 yard runs or runs for loss is misguided 
Really sucks that your not the GM supafreak84, you have all the answers to what's ailing the team and what Kwesi should have done differently 
I didn't go to an Ivy League school, but otherwise my football resume is just as good as his...so maybe so 
Wow, I wasn't aware you spent 9 years in NFL front offices--4 years at manager level, 3 years at director level and 2 years at VP level--before jumping aboard the Longship. 
Better yet, his draft resume is incomparable, not a single bust on it.
...unless you read his pre-draft posts. 

Quote: @"IHatekwesi84" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
@1VikesFan said:
@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:

Like I said, making sure the stadium has enough hot dogs on game days or diagnosing the winds effects on kickoffs doesn't qualify you to run an NFL team. We all know why he was hired and I'll just leave it at that 
Well, we all know why YOU think he was hired. Because he's Black. It's OK, you can say that. Don't be shy. Own it. It might help others understand the agenda behind your bananas-level opposition to the man. 
I've said it. I'm not running from anything. Look at the finalists for the job: Poles, Kwesi, and the female from Philly. Do you NOT believe politics were at least partially in play after we just fired two old white guys? We passed over every white male candidate we interviewed who had far better resumes outside of everybody but Poles. Lol. Don't miss the forest through the trees my friend. I don't care that he's black. What I care about is we did not hire the best person for the job and his inexperience has shown in trades, free agency, and most glaring...the draft.
I have said that I'm in wait and see mode on the man you love to hate.  He's done some good things, and some head-scratchers.  He's also young and a bit green.  The Vikings chose that path-analytically sound but inexperienced, and we have to live with it--10 posts a day bitching about Kwesi won't change it.  He's likely to be here for several more years.  Or knowing the Wilfs, decades.

What I've also said though not recently, is that the most important thing a g.m. does--more than the draft or free agents or anything--is hire a coach.  And for O'Connell I'd give him an A grade, or an A- at worst.  There is a nit or two to pick, but overall KOC mostly knocked it out of the park in year one.