Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings and Theilen talking...
And wide receiver goes towards the top of our draft needs 

Not a total surprise.  This officially gets us below the cap?  What are the chances that they keep talking on a new deal?  Is that even possible  under the rules?

Vikings release receiver Adam Thielen, ending his 10-year run in MinnesotaThe Detroit Lakes native and former Minnesota State Mankato star, signed after a 2013 rookie camp tryout, leaves with more catches and touchdowns than any Vikings player other than Randy Moss or Cris Carter.It appears for the first time in his life, Adam Thielen will play his home football games for a team outside of Minnesota.
The Vikings released Thielen on Friday, ending a 10-year run that figures to be recounted for years as one of the unlikeliest success stories in team history. The Detroit Lakes native, who went to Minnesota State-Mankato on a $500 scholarship and signed with the Vikings after a 2013 rookie camp tryout, leaves with more catches (534) and receiving touchdowns (55) than every player in team history not named Cris Carter or Randy Moss.
Releasing Thielen saves the Vikings $6.41 million in salary cap space, though they will absorb $13.55 million in dead money. The 32-year-old receiver had discussed a restructured contract that would have kept him in Minnesota on a reduced salary, according to a source with knowledge of the situation, but seemed inclined to pursue other teams that might offer a larger role in the offense than he would have with the Vikings.
Thielen caught 70 passes for 716 yards and six touchdowns in 2022, his seventh season as a starter in Minnesota after one year on the practice squad and two where he was primarily a special teams contributor. He was targeted 107 times, as part of a team that became the ninth in NFL history to have four receivers with at least 60 catches, but saw his opportunities dwindle particularly in the final weeks of the regular season as tight end T.J. Hockenson grew into the Vikings' No. 2 target behind Justin Jefferson.
"When you have the receiver that leads the league in yards and receptions and have three other guys with 60-plus, you feel really strong about that group," coach Kevin O'Connell said at the NFL combine last week. "Adam is one of those leaders that I speak of. His teammates voted him as a captain, [for] what he means not only to our organization but the Twin Cities.
"I think there's a conversation to be had to really see what that looks like: playing time and roles and responsibilities so that all of our players feel like not only it's a fair compensation for them, but we've got the kind of players where they care a lot about their role and their responsibilities and how they help us win."
As Thielen pursues free agency for the first time, he concludes a decade with the Vikings that went far beyond what anyone could have imagined.
https://www.startribune.com/vikings-release-adam-thielen-salary-cap-free-agency-minnesota-mankato/600257785/

Quote: @Montana Tom said:
Not a total surprise.  This officially gets us below the cap?  What are the chances that they keep talking on a new deal?  Is that even possible  under the rules?
I'm sure that is possibility but I don't think Thielen was happy with his role on the Team after KOC took over. I know there were a lot of people claiming he was hurt last year, but he definitely looked frustrated as the 4th option behind Hock and KJ. His Wife's comments at the end of the Season also reinforced that he had played his last game as a Viking. I wish him all the best. He was an incredible player and teammate during his time in Minnesota. 

Quote: @bigbone62 said:
@MaroonBells said:
No position's cliff is more steep than WR. And very few of them even see it until they're starting up at it.

Hopefully Thielen is smarter than that. Smart enough to know the only way he can keep his family in Minnesota is by taking a massive pay cut. 
He doesn't care about keeping his family in Minnesota. He moved them out several years ago. His wife and kids live outside of Orlando when the kids are in school. They do spend some time during the summer in MN.
Shake my head. The Thielens live about two miles from me. I have personally delivered stuff to the (both Adam and Caitlin) at their door. They still live in Woodbury, MN.

what does this even mean?

Quote:"I think there's a conversation to be had to really see what that looks like: playing time and roles and responsibilities so that all of our players feel like not only it's a fair compensation for them, but we've got the kind of players where they care a lot about their role and their responsibilities and how they help us win."

Quote: @greediron said:
what does this even mean?

"I think there's a conversation to be had to really see what that looks like: playing time and roles and responsibilities so that all of our players feel like not only it's a fair compensation for them, but we've got the kind of players where they care a lot about their role and their responsibilities and how they help us win."
to me it seems like they are saying,  based on what you are expected to contribute in our O,  this is what you are worth.

Quote: @SkolVikings44 said:
@bigbone62 said:
@MaroonBells said:
No position's cliff is more steep than WR. And very few of them even see it until they're starting up at it.

Hopefully Thielen is smarter than that. Smart enough to know the only way he can keep his family in Minnesota is by taking a massive pay cut. 
He doesn't care about keeping his family in Minnesota. He moved them out several years ago. His wife and kids live outside of Orlando when the kids are in school. They do spend some time during the summer in MN.
Shake my head. The Thielens live about two miles from me. I have personally delivered stuff to the (both Adam and Caitlin) at their door. They still live in Woodbury, MN.
I'm guessing he has a condo possibly in Orlando. 

Loved watching Adam and his story but I believe it was time to move on. I saw this coming from the minute Caitlyn starting tweeting after the playoff loss. Wish him nothing but the best going forward.