Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings void contracts of Tomlinson and Peterson
Quote: @purplefaithful said:
They need to do something with D.Hunter this off-season too. 

GL KAM, no pressure. 
I could be wrong but I think Hunter is one of the few contracts they won't touch this year--if'n they don't have to. Pro Bowl, 6th in the NFL in pressures, 7th among edges in PFF grade, highest graded player on the Vikings....all with a cap hit that ranks 30th among edges. Man's a bargain, but it wouldn't surprise me too much if his agent starts squawking about a long term deal. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:

GL KAM, no pressure. 
I could be wrong but I think Hunter is one of the few contracts they won't touch this year--if'n they don't have to. Pro Bowl, 6th in the NFL in pressures, 7th among edges in PFF grade, highest graded player on the Vikings....all with a cap hit that ranks 30th among edges. Man's a bargain, but it wouldn't surprise me too much if his agent starts squawking about a long term deal. 
I think he's on the last year of his deal, so they probably have to deal with it.

@purplefaithful said:

GL KAM, no pressure. 

He could hold out for more straight cash though. 

@purplefaithful said:

GL KAM, no pressure. 
of course there are two void years in 24 and 25,  that carry additional cap space that would need to be applied back against the previous years to get a true sense of how his cap number really is.  Same with a few other players whose contracts get talked about, those void years on the end for prorating out the cap hit should be considered as well.  In Hunters case the 2 years at the end amount  to over 11 million in cap hits that will not a player attached,  they always make those numbers miraculously go away when a new deal is done, but in the case of aging players that dont get resigned,  those cap hits just become a handicap on future rosters.

Quote: @medaille said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:

GL KAM, no pressure. 
I think he's on the last year of his deal, so they probably have to deal with it.
I think extending him is in everyone's best interest, but what I meant was there's no real offseason cap pressure to do something, like there is with O'Neill, Thielen, Harry, etc. Vikings could actually wait until Fall. 

@medaille said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:

GL KAM, no pressure. 
I think extending him is in everyone's best interest, but what I meant was there's no real offseason cap pressure to do something, like there is with O'Neill, Thielen, Harry, etc. Vikings could actually wait until Fall. 
No doubt.  We'll probably have to do it before the season starts though.

OK so Tomlinson is coming back. Obviously they’re working out a deal now which I think is a good idea. I don’t understand all the talk about drafting a WR. I think KJ more than proved himself last year. He’s a terrific young wide receiver, and I see no problem with him being WR2. I also think we need to resign Bradbury. Although the Gopher center certainly is intriguing. I think we lose Kendricks and maybe Hunter, if we stick with the 3-4. Give cousins, two-year extension and restructure With a signing bonus. Then we can start to look around. That gives us some flexibility, and I’m not thrilled with this year‘s quarterback crop anyway.

@medaille said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:

GL KAM, no pressure. 
No off-season cap pressure and arguably Danielle can't practically hold-out under the new CBA since it'll just lead to his contract tolling into 2024 if he really dug his feet in. But I see absolutely no way that Danielle steps foot on a football field under his current deal. Cap impacts aside he's set to make $5.5M in 2023. Put in perspective, less than more mid level rotational EDGE rushers. 

The Vikings pushed so much dead money into the future that I tend to think they want to extend him, they should want to at least. He finally proved staying healthy is productive and only 28 years old. 

But call it a weird hunch, no sourcing here. If the Vikings do want to move up for a QB I think Hunter may be the chip they use to do it. Teams are more willing to swap picks and could fill a need with Hunter. While they may not go for it I could see ATL at #8 at least contemplating a swap for Hunter and #23. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@medaille said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:

GL KAM, no pressure. 
No off-season cap pressure and arguably Danielle can't practically hold-out under the new CBA since it'll just lead to his contract tolling into 2024 if he really dug his feet in. But I see absolutely no way that Danielle steps foot on a football field under his current deal. Cap impacts aside he's set to make $5.5M in 2023. Put in perspective, less than more mid level rotational EDGE rushers. 

The Vikings pushed so much dead money into the future that I tend to think they want to extend him, they should want to at least. He finally proved staying healthy is productive and only 28 years old. 

But call it a weird hunch, no sourcing here. If the Vikings do want to move up for a QB I think Hunter may be the chip they use to do it. Teams are more willing to swap picks and could fill a need with Hunter. While they may not go for it I could see ATL at #8 at least contemplating a swap for Hunter and #23. 
Doesn't his huge dead cap sort of prevent a trade? Otherwise I sorta share your hunch. Outside of Cousins, Hunter is easily the most valuable player on the Vikings. 

I understand the need to get a QB in the pipeline, but there's just something a little crazy about a 13-win team with a championship caliber offense and the league's worst defense trading it's best defensive player for a backup offensive player, to a player who's only 34 years old...and pretty damn good. In other words, we're not desperate here. Let's not pay through the nose as if we are. 

I think I'd rather keep Hunter and trade down for Hendon Hooker. At the end of the day ALL of these QBs are rolls of the dice. The way I see it, I'd rather pay a little on a longshot than pay a lot on a player whose chances of hitting are really not that much higher. Hooker will very likely be the 5th QB taken. Lamar Jackson, 5th QB taken. Jalen Hurts, 5th QB taken.