Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
9-2: Can You Believe It?!
I dont see KJs low numbers as a mark against him as much as it is against Kirk not getting the ball to him in good situations.  It was the same with AT a few weeks ago,  people were saying how he was washed up, etc,  but it was more a matter of him just not getting looked at by Cousins on most pass plays.  Its pretty obvious that JJ is the first, second,  and fourth reads on most of Kirk's passes.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
I dont see KJs low numbers as a mark against him as much as it is against Kirk not getting the ball to him in good situations.  It was the same with AT a few weeks ago,  people were saying how he was washed up, etc,  but it was more a matter of him just not getting looked at by Cousins on most pass plays.  Its pretty obvious that JJ is the first, second,  and fourth reads on most of Kirk's passes.
This is true. And in an offense you're not entirely comfortable in, you're going to rely on your superstar even more. 

I think KOC and Cousins have to sort of force themselves to go through the progressions a little more. Or design more plays where JJ isn't the 1st read.  We do not want to go into the playoffs with such a huge reliance on one player.

Vikings should spend the last five games expanding the target share a little more. 

Cousins has also been praised for giving JJ those 50/50 balls more often - you know the gunslinger thing.

I think @medaille hit the nail on the head, this offense right now is JJ and then some TJH security blanket. Thats been good enough to get us to 9/2 (along with some fairy dust sprinkled in) so hard to complain. 

But for the stretch run and post-season it would be nice for KOC to start giving DC and Mattison more touches. Especially MAttison and his down-hill running style. 

Teams are going to double/triple team JJ and the AT's and KJO's hopefully will get more chances. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
Cousins has also been praised for giving JJ those 50/50 balls more often - you know the gunslinger thing.

I think @medaille hit the nail on the head, this offense right now is JJ and then some TJH security blanket. Thats been good enough to get us to 9/2 (along with some fairy dust sprinkled in) so hard to complain. 

But for the stretch run and post-season it would be nice for KOC to start giving DC and Mattison more touches. Especially MAttison and his down-hill running style. 

Teams are going to double/triple team JJ and the AT's and KJO's hopefully will get more chances. 
we are at best a one and done team in the playoffs with our O the way it is currently running IMO.  I know I have been saying this since September ( and they keep winning despite him not doing it), but Kirk needs to be working the field opposite of JJ more, especially early in the games where we know teams games plans are going to be leaving our other receiving options with lighter coverage in order to try and take JJ away.  Or at the very least,  when JJ is running deeper patterns they need to be using the voids more that he creates in the underneath and intermediate areas.  Our O needs to show that if you take JJ away we can still hang 30 on your D and do it in a very efficient manner.

I am still looking for a signature win that says this team is coming into contender form,  depsite the record I am still super skeptical of just how good this team is.

Quote: @"Knucklehead" said:
I pegged their ceiling at 9 wins. Definitely enjoying this ride. However, given the number of starters that are over 30 years old, I am concerned that it's not sustainable.
Yea I would have thought 9 wins tops as well, for the season.  

It does seem like a lot of our 30 year olds are on defense and many have not acclimated to the 3-4 that great. 

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

I am still looking for a signature win that says this team is coming into contender form,  depsite the record I am still super skeptical of just how good this team is.
No doubt about it. I think everyone should be skeptical to some degree. But at the same time, 9-2 doesn't just happen. Need to recognize that. I'll be happy if that 'signature win' comes playoff time, thank you very much.  :p

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
Despite the intense KJ Osborn love here, I think he's just a guy. Not bad by any stretch but just meh. He's made a few nice plays for the team over the last 2 years for sure. Its tough to shine as the #3 WRer, admittedly. But he in no way has #2 ability IMO.
This probably deserves its own thread but at some point JJ is going to be the highest paid WR in the league. When that day comes economics will dictate that the rest of the WR corps will have to be filled out w/ players like KJ, Nailor, rookies, etc.