Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What does everyone think of Jared Goff?
Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
I think he's better than most people think he is. He's accurate, but mistake prone and can be fooled easily. I think PF is right. He's a lesser version (much lesser version) of Kirk Cousins. 
He can be good in the right system with the right coach.  He reminds me more of a lesser version of Rodgers, always wanting to play hero ball.  
As I've said before, and the more I see, the more I believe this. Forget all the tiers. There are only 3 types of QBs in the NFL: Those you can win a Super Bowl with, those you can't, and those for whom it's too early to say. I definitely put Goff in the first category. It'll be interesting to see what the Lions do in the draft next Spring. 
And for the first type, it takes some lucky bounces.

Everyone lauds Stafford as finally being on a team that enabled him to win the SB.  But if that SF safety secures that easy INT late in the game, it may have been Garoppolo in those commercials. 

Is this a trick question?  One of the best offensive minds in the game dumped him because he struggles with pressure and pre-snap reads.

He's an average to below average starter who needs a strong OL and supporting cast to play better than that.  If he was our QB, I'd be disappointed.

He has been to more super bowls than any Viking QB since 1977, so there is that.

@"greediron" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
I think he's better than most people think he is. He's accurate, but mistake prone and can be fooled easily. I think PF is right. He's a lesser version (much lesser version) of Kirk Cousins. 
He can be good in the right system with the right coach.  He reminds me more of a lesser version of Rodgers, always wanting to play hero ball.  
As I've said before, and the more I see, the more I believe this. Forget all the tiers. There are only 3 types of QBs in the NFL: Those you can win a Super Bowl with, those you can't, and those for whom it's too early to say. I definitely put Goff in the first category. It'll be interesting to see what the Lions do in the draft next Spring. 
Interesting...  McVay clearly disagrees with that lol
I think Goff's limitations put him in your second bucket. 

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
Don't forget that Goff actually took his team to a Super Bowl. I think McVay wanted an upgrade...and he got one, but just barely IMO. System fit and contract probably had something to do with it as well. 

Also, just to clarify, my three tiers are within the context of roster management only. I mean, sure, you can break them down into 32 tiers if you want, but just in terms of what GMs do at the QB position, I really doubt they bother with all the "top 5," "top 10," "elite," "great," "good" bullshit. I tend to think that if you eliminate the youngsters, it just boils down to QBs they need to replace and those they don't.  

@"Wetlander" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
Don't forget that Goff actually took his team to a Super Bowl. I think McVay wanted an upgrade...and he got one, but just barely IMO. System fit and contract probably had something to do with it as well. 

Also, just to clarify, my three tiers are within the context of roster management only. I mean, sure, you can break them down into 32 tiers if you want, but just in terms of what GMs do at the QB position, I really doubt they bother with all the "top 5," "top 10," "elite," "great," "good" bullshit. I tend to think that if you eliminate the youngsters, it just boils down to QBs they need to replace and those they don't.  
But don't forget that without a "lucky" no call on DPI, Goff wouldn't have "took" his team to the SB.  Once Gurley broke down, the offense struggled and they were manhandled in the super bowl.

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Wetlander" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

But don't forget that without a "lucky" no call on DPI, Goff wouldn't have "took" his team to the SB.  Once Gurley broke down, the offense struggled and they were manhandled in the super bowl.
Right, but there are plays like that in nearly every game.