Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I really don't want Biden vs Trump in 24...
Quote: @"Skodin" said:
@"IDVikingfan" said:
@"Skodin" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
Looks like Pence might be getting serious about a run? Might see Cheney toss a hat into ring

Probably no word from DeSantis until after 11/22 elections...
So a GOP primary season of Trump, Pence, DeSantis, and Cheney should be a lot of fun to watch.  I'm sure it will be very civil
In that scenario, I would see Cheney playing the role of little yapping dog that acts tough but can only bite the pant leg before running off.  Her "but trump, but trump" is not a sufficient platform demonstrate leadership or garner many R votes.  However, she would be very popular on the left.  My pick would be DeSantis, assuming he runs.
Or she represents a still considerable base of the GOP, the GOP who was in line with the "classic conservatism" of HW, W, etc.  The GOP as a potential fracture coming, it will be interesting to see IF Trump goes down, who he takes with him.  

Can the GOP guarantee if they turn their back on Trump, they can turn out 80 million voters to finally win a popular election (1win in 30 years)?  Seems unlikely considering he's an unique populist candidate
How large is the never trumper group?  Do we really know?  Obviously the press likes to get their quotes and suggest there will be fracture in the GOP.  I don't believe the leaders of the never trump movement will have a significant impact on the general GOP voter.  Their time of influence has come and gone, IMO.

Rank and file GOP voters are capable of forming their own opinion relative to Trump and recent history.  I would easily take the Trump economy (pre-covid) over the current economy.  Yet, there are several aspects about Trump that make him difficult for me to vote for in 2024.

I want a fresh leader who can articulate his views and objectives.  Who will stand and take the heat with the press
rather than walk off with a smirk as the current resident does.  DeSantis clearly is my choice.  I hope he primaries against Trump.  IMO, Trump will have too much focus on "getting even about the past" to appeal to good cross section of voters.  I think DeSantis will articulate a future vision that resonates, IMO.

POTUS elections are still determined based on the vote of the electoral college not popular vote.  The GOP focus will be on the electoral college as it should be.

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
Looks like Pence might be getting serious about a run? Might see Cheney toss a hat into ring

I’ll vote for Uncle Joe before I’ll contribute to another Cheney sniffing the oval office. Hell I might even campaign for him to stop her. 

Put me in the never Trump column as well after 1/6. 

Quote: @"AGRforever" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

I’ll vote for Uncle Joe before I’ll contribute to another Cheney sniffing the oval office. Hell I might even campaign for him to stop her. 

What do you really believe about Jan/6 and the things that happened?

Quote: @"Purplemachine" said:
@"AGRforever" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

What do you really believe about Jan/6 and the things that happened?
Trump spent a month prior to the election telling everyone how he was going to loose. Then lost.  Then worked his supporters into a frenzy. They flash mobbed the capital. 

The capital police should have shot every single person that crossed the police barricade as a threat to our country. 

Im done listening to his incoherent babbling jackassery. Had that dumbf$cker just shut up even once during his 4 years he would have been re-elected on his economy alone. 

Gavin Newsome vs. Ron DeSantis.  Bank on it.

Quote: @"IDVikingfan" said:
@"Skodin" said:
@"IDVikingfan" said:
@"Skodin" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

So a GOP primary season of Trump, Pence, DeSantis, and Cheney should be a lot of fun to watch.  I'm sure it will be very civil
In that scenario, I would see Cheney playing the role of little yapping dog that acts tough but can only bite the pant leg before running off.  Her "but trump, but trump" is not a sufficient platform demonstrate leadership or garner many R votes.  However, she would be very popular on the left.  My pick would be DeSantis, assuming he runs.
Or she represents a still considerable base of the GOP, the GOP who was in line with the "classic conservatism" of HW, W, etc.  The GOP as a potential fracture coming, it will be interesting to see IF Trump goes down, who he takes with him.  

Can the GOP guarantee if they turn their back on Trump, they can turn out 80 million voters to finally win a popular election (1win in 30 years)?  Seems unlikely considering he's an unique populist candidate
How large is the never trumper group?  Do we really know?  Obviously the press likes to get their quotes and suggest there will be fracture in the GOP.  I don't believe the leaders of the never trump movement will have a significant impact on the general GOP voter.  Their time of influence has come and gone, IMO.

Rank and file GOP voters are capable of forming their own opinion relative to Trump and recent history.  I would easily take the Trump economy (pre-covid) over the current economy.  Yet, there are several aspects about Trump that make him difficult for me to vote for in 2024.

I want a fresh leader who can articulate his views and objectives.  Who will stand and take the heat with the press
rather than walk off with a smirk as the current resident does.  DeSantis clearly is my choice.  I hope he primaries against Trump.  IMO, Trump will have too much focus on "getting even about the past" to appeal to good cross section of voters.  I think DeSantis will articulate a future vision that resonates, IMO.

POTUS elections are still determined based on the vote of the electoral college not popular vote.  The GOP focus will be on the electoral college as it should be.
Then you better hope that Trump is in prison by 2024, because winning the GOP nom or not, he's running for President.  He's not going to back down to Desantis, he's not going to play nice with the GOP who will have turned his back on him.   He needs the cash cow to keep churning considering he has legal bills that would make your head spin.  There is nothing in history that says he is going to go quietly.

Sure, you could lose the popular vote again for for the 8th time in 9 years, but if Trump takes 2-3% of the vote with him (which we know is more than that) that ends any chance of winning an electoral college victory.   Losing 50-100,000 votes from Desantis to Trump in 2024 in Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, is the death knell of the GOP's chances of winning

I am sorry but people are not going to have Desantis flags, stickers, tattoos, etc to the level of Trump.  The GOP margin is already razor thin, they are playing with fire if they don't nominate him.

Of course some people want the electoral college to stay in play, it disproportionately puts power in the hands of rural states.  Built on an archaic system of information management.  It doesn't weigh all votes equally (which doesn't sound too American to me).  It ignores the will of the people.  

Which if I was the party of decaying ideas, I would want it to stay in place as well.  We understand why the GOP wants to keep it.  

Quote: @"Chuckf" said:
Gavin Newsome vs. Ron DeSantis.  Bank on it.
I could absolutely see that in 28? I wouldnt bank on it for 24 myself. 

Of course some people want the electoral college to stay in play, it disproportionately puts power in the hands of rural states.  Built on an archaic system of information management.  It doesn't weigh all votes equally (which doesn't sound too American to me).  It ignores the will of the people.  

Which if I was the party of decaying ideas, I would want it to stay in place as well.  We understand why the GOP wants to keep it.  
get rid of the electoral college and you will destroy the United States,  you think you saw civil uprisings after the george floyd murder... piss off 2/3 of the country ( land area ) and see what happens next.  I can almost guarantee that would be the nail in the coffin and within the next year you would see a cesession of most of the middle 2/3 as well as rural counties leaving states that are only blue due to their metro areas. 

Find a red/blue map of the US by congressional districts, that would give you pretty good idea of how this country would fracture.  On the plus side,  the united blue states of america would be able to buy oil from a much closer source as those pipelines would be built and that oil would get drilled.  We would sell you all kinds of affordable electricity from the coal and nuclear power plants that would be built.  Lumber for your homes.... the list of positives for the blue states would be imense,  and you wouldnt have to share rule with those that provide the coasts and metro areas with the things they need to live.  however,  good luck paying for all those noble progressive endeavors when you dont have the red states to tax to pay for those things.  of course,  you likely dont need us anyway,  you have california and its 5th largest world economy to milk so i am sure it will all work out.

It is the law of the land.  If you wanna change, you and like thinkers need to get the ball rolling to change the constitution.  Not gonna be easy.

ADD IN, states can adjust how they allocate their electoral votes.  The link below shows how various adjustments would have impacted the electoral votes in 2012 and 2016.  A great read!

https://www.270towin.com/alternative-ele...?year=2016