Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vike draft discussion -- Peter King
The Draft Network article pretty much sums up how I felt at the time. I've calmed down a little since then. The only way the Detroit trade quiets down for Kwesi the Clown is if Williams doesn't regain his explosiveness after he fully recovers from his ACL surgery, or struggles to stay healthy. That's a big gamble but after thinking about it more it may have been the right decision to trade down but he still didn't get good value for doing it. Putting that aside for now, Williams is listed at 179 lbs. He and Jefferson are the same height but JJ is 20 lbs heavier which can make a difference for durability. I already read a report out of Detroit doubting he will be ready to go for week 1 as they are taking it very slow with his rehab. 3 WR's were taken before Detroit moved up and selected Williams. As gifted as he is, several WR needy teams took a pass on him. When healthy, he was pretty much the consensus #1 WR talent in this draft. Did the ACL really scare those other teams away or were there other reasons why he dropped? We will find out and it will be interesting to see what he does in Detroit. He still has Goff throwing him the ball and it is the Lions after all. 

I'm not as worried about Watson as Rodgers will likely be gone from Green Bay after his Rookie Season. 

Quote: @"TBro" said:
The Draft Network article pretty much sums up how I felt at the time. I've calmed down a little since then. The only way the Detroit trade quiets down for Kwesi the Clown is if Williams doesn't regain his explosiveness after he fully recovers from his ACL surgery, or struggles to stay healthy. That's a big gamble but after thinking about it more it may have been the right decision to trade down but he still didn't get good value for doing it. Putting that aside for now, Williams is listed at 179 lbs. He and Jefferson are the same height but JJ is 20 lbs heavier which can make a difference for durability. I already read a report out of Detroit doubting he will be ready to go for week 1 as they are taking it very slow with his rehab. 3 WR's were taken before Detroit moved up and selected Williams. As gifted as he is, several WR needy teams took a pass on him. When healthy, he was pretty much the consensus #1 WR talent in this draft. Did the ACL really scare those other teams away or were there other reasons why he dropped? We will find out and it will be interesting to see what he does in Detroit. He still has Goff throwing him the ball and it is the Lions after all. 

I'm not as worried about Watson as Rodgers will likely be gone from Green Bay after his Rookie Season. 
Unless he's some kind of super human, there's almost no chance he's ready week one. Think about it, it's hard enough for rookie receivers to get on the field early, and Williams will very likely miss all of training camp. And even when he's 100%, it's going to be several more weeks before he (and the Lions) have full confidence in the knee, especially given his spindly frame. This was a pick for '23.