Cousins Extended
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:
@AGRforever said:
Cousins took a pay decrease to remain a Viking.  He did the exact thing most of you were bitching about.  We get a two year deal to see if the new coaching staff wants to hang their coat with Cousins or learn that he's the turd some of you think he is. 
Kirk didn't take a pay cut...  he actually went from getting 35 million this year to like 50 million with the extension. The deal just lowered his cap hit this year and next because of the void years tacked on.  Let's not act like Kirk did us a solid lol
No, he didn't take a pay cut. Nor should he have. He merely agreed to add two void years to reduce the Vikings' '22 cap hit from $45M to $31M. Where he ranks now in terms of cap hit, average salary, percentage of cap is now roughly in the 6 to 8 range. And of course, a year from now it will likely be outside the top 10.

So no, not a pay cut. Unless his name were Tom Brady, then all you'd hear about is the pay cut he took. 

So... what was wrong with my post?  Glad you agree it wasn't a pay cut since he IS making more money in the next year than he would have if we just left his contract alone.  It gave us some cap relief the next two years, but the term and structure wasn't favorable for the Vikings.  Now we have dead cap pushed off in the future and have to make the same decision on Kirk again next off-season (extend, trade, or cut).

Just trying to keep this in reality.  Yes, it benefits the Vikings since we are now under the cap, but this also benefited Kirk because he's getting more money and has more contract leverage than he did under his previous deal.

It is wasn't meant as a slam on Kirk.  Just clarifying the facts since AGR wasn't correct in the post I responded to...

Who said there was something wrong with your post? Yes, the reality is that it helped both the Vikings and their QB. Isn't that the kind of win/win we all wanted? 
I guess I took your Brady comment as I would be praising this if it were him and not Cousins (which I would still have the same take).

As far as Kirk's extension, I'd have rather seen something more definitive happen.  A longer extension that shows O'Connell and Kwesi are committed to Cousins for the next 3-4 years...  or a trade if they aren't enamored with him (we had offers)...  or last resort, let him play out this season and if it goes well, extend him in the off-season.

Any of those options would have been better IMO.  We gained some cap space, but really did nothing to solidify our future at QB.

I would have been fine committing to Cousins, but this doesn't seem like committing...  it feels like the Vikings need cap space, don't feel comfortable giving Kirk a longer extension, and ended up giving him more leverage if we ultimately decide we want to move on after this season.

I guess I was hoping for more clarity with O'Connell and Kwesi in charge now.

The Brady comment was a joke. 

I'm a little surprised you would've been happier with a long-term deal. The way I see it, we have perfect clarity. 

1. The new regime understands that Cousins is a flawed, imperfect QB who does most things incredibly well. They think he will fit nicely, and perform even better perhaps, in KOC's offense. But they wanted to see that before committing to him long term. They also wanted to structure the deal so the Vikings would have the cap space to keep, as well as add, some key pieces to what they view as—as do I—a playoff-caliber roster.  They now have Cousins with a more tolerable cap hit through 2023. So if he doesn't do as well as they'd hoped in 2022, or even if he does, they can draft a QB in 2023 (a much better year for QBs). And they can give that QB a year of development while remaining competitive with Cousins. It was the smart move.

2. And Kirk being Kirk likely wanted a short-term deal that will allow him to hit the market again when the cap goes up by a gazillion dollars. He's betting on himself again. And he's undefeated. 

I see no problem with either 1 or 2. My big problem would have been to trade him...trade an already proven, already pretty damn good QB, for a seat at the craps table that could last 5, 10, 15 years or more. I know there are people who advocated that. But I saw that as utterly insane. 
and many see the status quo as equally insane.  and that is all we got from Kirks new deal was another year of the status quo.  

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Wetlander said:
@Knucklehead said:
@Wetlander said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:
@AGRforever said:
Cousins took a pay decrease to remain a Viking.  He did the exact thing most of you were bitching about.  We get a two year deal to see if the new coaching staff wants to hang their coat with Cousins or learn that he's the turd some of you think he is. 
Kirk didn't take a pay cut...  he actually went from getting 35 million this year to like 50 million with the extension. The deal just lowered his cap hit this year and next because of the void years tacked on.  Let's not act like Kirk did us a solid lol
No, he didn't take a pay cut. Nor should he have. He merely agreed to add two void years to reduce the Vikings' '22 cap hit from $45M to $31M. Where he ranks now in terms of cap hit, average salary, percentage of cap is now roughly in the 6 to 8 range. And of course, a year from now it will likely be outside the top 10.

So no, not a pay cut. Unless his name were Tom Brady, then all you'd hear about is the pay cut he took. 

So... what was wrong with my post?  Glad you agree it wasn't a pay cut since he IS making more money in the next year than he would have if we just left his contract alone.  It gave us some cap relief the next two years, but the term and structure wasn't favorable for the Vikings.  Now we have dead cap pushed off in the future and have to make the same decision on Kirk again next off-season (extend, trade, or cut).

Just trying to keep this in reality.  Yes, it benefits the Vikings since we are now under the cap, but this also benefited Kirk because he's getting more money and has more contract leverage than he did under his previous deal.

It is wasn't meant as a slam on Kirk.  Just clarifying the facts since AGR wasn't correct in the post I responded to...

Who said there was something wrong with your post? Yes, the reality is that it helped both the Vikings and their QB. Isn't that the kind of win/win we all wanted? 
I guess I took your Brady comment as I would be praising this if it were him and not Cousins (which I would still have the same take).

As far as Kirk's extension, I'd have rather seen something more definitive happen.  A longer extension that shows O'Connell and Kwesi are committed to Cousins for the next 3-4 years...  or a trade if they aren't enamored with him (we had offers)...  or last resort, let him play out this season and if it goes well, extend him in the off-season.

Any of those options would have been better IMO.  We gained some cap space, but really did nothing to solidify our future at QB.

I would have been fine committing to Cousins, but this doesn't seem like committing...  it feels like the Vikings need cap space, don't feel comfortable giving Kirk a longer extension, and ended up giving him more leverage if we ultimately decide we want to move on after this season.

I guess I was hoping for more clarity with O'Connell and Kwesi in charge now.

Disagree about a longer commitment. He'll be 35 years old when the extension begins. Although he's been extremely healthy throughout his career, I would be leery to commit to any QB who's in his late 30's.
When I say long-term...  I'm not talking a 10-year Pat Mahomes commitment lol
I'm talking 3-4 years so we know Kirk is our guy for our next window under O'Connell and Kwesi.  Kirk will be 34 just before the season...  a 3-4 yr extension would end when he's 37-38.  Plenty of QBs have been playing to that age or older recently.

His trade value isn't going to increase the older he gets.  This was a perfect time to essentially make sure Kirk is our QB until he retires or trade him now and find a young guy to hopefully build around under a new HC and GM.
the skins organization used to get ripped for using the tag on him and not giving him a long term deal,  now that the curtain has been peeled back a bit I am starting to think it wasnt stupid on their part considering the way he has played the Vikings organization.   I agree,  this year should have been the year to put him to bed on way or the other.
Are you hinting that the Redskins/WFT/Commanders are smart? C'mon buddy. You cant have your stance on Cousins have you saying silly things like that. Do you need a snickers?

What I think is Kirk knew he was putting up numbers and knew he would get paid because of it. He's smart and he's very good about this. Also have to remember that Washington's GM at the time didnt last very long after that as their 2016 draft is downright cringe worthy. They also lost McVay during that time which certainly had an impact on their record
no, i am saying that they were mocked because they couldnt get a long term deal done with a relative nobody,  the way it looks now is that it wasnt likely their choice, or it was at least wise of them not to since they would have likely had to turn over control of the team as part of his demands.  Kirk was likely running the negotiations then and apparently he still is.  
I know what you were saying, I was just trying to give you a hard time while also saying that their Front Office at the time may have been one of the worst in the last 15 years. They messed up multiple drafts and had some god awful FA signings.