Say What Now?
Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"wiviking" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"wiviking" said:
I guess I just dont get it. If the team owners and GM's are so driven by racism, why are there so many non-white players that are getting paid 10's of millions of dollars every year?  If racism is more important than wins, you would think the teams would be about 80 percent white.
I think pretty much every nfl team is going to hire what they feel is the best candidate to be their head coach. More wins equates to more money, more prestige.
Also, nepotism is not racism. It is a form of favorism, but its not about race. As a side note: I think zimmer making his son the co- DC probably hurt his kids career. Everyone in the league knew that Dre had earned that job.
Oh my. Isn't this a little like claiming your school district does not discriminate because your janitorial and support staff are 80% black... despite the fact that all of your teachers and administrators are white?

The assumption that non-white persons are only qualified for certain, lower-level positions is the very definition of discrimination. 

Also, I don't think the problem is that "owners and GMs are driven by racism." It's more that they're driven by stereotype and preconception.

At no point have I implied that. Or is it inferred? You are equating an entry level job with a job that pays upwards of 30 million dollars annually. Who make more money, the coach or the players? Hard to call that lower level.

NFL is all about money. Team owners are going to hire the best coach they feel they can get.This isn't the 80's. 

Screaming racism is the soup of the day. You don't have to be able to prove it, because just the accusation has half the people assuming its true. Social media is the courtroom.
Money is irrelevant to this issue. And the NFL shouldn't stop trying to be an equal opportunity employer just because a few Gomers on social media are tired of hearing about it. 
is it really equal opportunity when there are incentives to hire one race over another?  
If you're starting from a position of inequality, you should try to discourage the kind of personal biases and preconceptions that led you there. 
IMO you cant change the way people feel and think through legislation and gimmicks.  you can however increase anger by shoving this shit in peoples faces all the time, especially when so many are quick to slap the racist term on anybody that doesnt fall in line with the narrative.  I still dont buy that all this race race race shit the last decade or so has improved anything in terms of equality or removing bias.  corporations can play woke,  because people buy it,  but its rarely genuine and if its nothing more than a marketing ploy, what has it really accomplished besides create more anger from those that are tired of hearing about it? 
Who gives a fuck about those that are tired of hearing about it? 

And, yes, of course you can change the way people think. Our prejudices, biases and stereotypes constantly evolve based on our personal experiences. 

@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"wiviking" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"wiviking" said:
I guess I just dont get it. If the team owners and GM's are so driven by racism, why are there so many non-white players that are getting paid 10's of millions of dollars every year?  If racism is more important than wins, you would think the teams would be about 80 percent white.
I think pretty much every nfl team is going to hire what they feel is the best candidate to be their head coach. More wins equates to more money, more prestige.
Also, nepotism is not racism. It is a form of favorism, but its not about race. As a side note: I think zimmer making his son the co- DC probably hurt his kids career. Everyone in the league knew that Dre had earned that job.
Oh my. Isn't this a little like claiming your school district does not discriminate because your janitorial and support staff are 80% black... despite the fact that all of your teachers and administrators are white?

The assumption that non-white persons are only qualified for certain, lower-level positions is the very definition of discrimination. 

Also, I don't think the problem is that "owners and GMs are driven by racism." It's more that they're driven by stereotype and preconception.

At no point have I implied that. Or is it inferred? You are equating an entry level job with a job that pays upwards of 30 million dollars annually. Who make more money, the coach or the players? Hard to call that lower level.

NFL is all about money. Team owners are going to hire the best coach they feel they can get.This isn't the 80's. 

Screaming racism is the soup of the day. You don't have to be able to prove it, because just the accusation has half the people assuming its true. Social media is the courtroom.
Money is irrelevant to this issue. And the NFL shouldn't stop trying to be an equal opportunity employer just because a few Gomers on social media are tired of hearing about it. 
is it really equal opportunity when there are incentives to hire one race over another?  
If you're starting from a position of inequality, you should try to discourage the kind of personal biases and preconceptions that led you there. 
IMO you cant change the way people feel and think through legislation and gimmicks.  you can however increase anger by shoving this shit in peoples faces all the time, especially when so many are quick to slap the racist term on anybody that doesnt fall in line with the narrative.  I still dont buy that all this race race race shit the last decade or so has improved anything in terms of equality or removing bias.  corporations can play woke,  because people buy it,  but its rarely genuine and if its nothing more than a marketing ploy, what has it really accomplished besides create more anger from those that are tired of hearing about it? 
The only people 'tired of hearing about it' are the people that have never faced racism, lol. Or been disadvantaged because of it. The opposite of 'woke' is the white guy from middle America bitching about being tired of 'hearing about racism'. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"wiviking" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"wiviking" said:

Who gives a fuck about those that are tired of hearing about it? 

And, yes, of course you can change the way people think. Our prejudices, biases and stereotypes constantly evolve based on our personal experiences. 
Once again your reading skills fail you.  Try rereading my post and see if you can figure it out.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"wiviking" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"wiviking" said:

The only people 'tired of hearing about it' are the people that have never faced racism, lol. Or been disadvantaged because of it. The opposite of 'woke' is the white guy from middle America bitching about being tired of 'hearing about racism'. 
Does racism not exist in Middle America that a white man living here would see it or hear it?  Im tired of the race card getting thrown around so much because its often not the case and its over use lessens the impact of the statement when it is warranted.  Every hear of the story of the boy who called wolf,  it applies.  I resent your statement because I have felt racism,  when my minority friends were treated like shit it hurt me as well,  when they were not given opportunities because of their skin color I felt their pain,  no not likely as scared as deeply as they were,  but to assume because you know somebody's location you can make blanket statements is absurd and ignorant.  

Quote: @"VikingOracle" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
Hi Jimmy:  Obviously this a hot button topic but I think it is a worthwhile topic.   Totally understand your view regarding "woke" companies saying the right thing for marketing purposes while not walking the walk.  It sounds like you agree that there still is bias in society and I wonder how you think we should go about removing bias.

I often think prejudice in society like walking half way to the wall.  Every step you get closer but you will never reach the actual wall.  I think the question is how can you speed up every step at least.

I would love to hear your thoughts on how we as a country should move forward to eliminate racism or, at least move closer to the wall at a faster pace.  I look forward to your thoughts.
I dont know that we will ever get there,  there will always be evil and prejudice,  and its certainly not a 1 way street.  IMO the best way is through education and spirituality,   if we can learn to see people beyond the color of their skin,  we will raise our kids to be the same way and as we work to make ourselves better neighbors,  our positive personal changes will be picked up on by those around us.  We need to love thy neighbor as thyself and by getting back to preaching and working towards that as a society,  I think it will go a lot further than the angry screaming, yelling, name calling, demeaning, and the other shit we see now. 

Also rich people and their politicians telling normal folks that we have to do something that they themselves won't follow...well I think we've had 2 years of evidence to show how well that turns out.  Hence education over legislation is the better approach IMO.

@"StickyBun" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"wiviking" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"wiviking" said:

Does racism not exist in Middle America that a white man living here would see it or hear it?  Im tired of the race card getting thrown around so much because its often not the case and its over use lessens the impact of the statement when it is warranted.  Every hear of the story of the boy who called wolf,  it applies.  I resent your statement because I have felt racism,  when my minority friends were treated like shit it hurt me as well,  when they were not given opportunities because of their skin color I felt their pain,  no not likely as scared as deeply as they were,  but to assume because you know somebody's location you can make blanket statements is absurd and ignorant.  
Empathy is good, but its nowhere near the same. That's my point. Its not relatable if you aren't effected in a real way. You don't see the nuances of racism. I also realize not everything is about race and it gets thrown around too liberally but at the same time to deny its there is ignorant. You can resent my statement all you'd like, its my opinion. I'm a white guy that was born and raised in the Midwest and saw racism all the time. Its because people make assumptions that I feel the way they do because of how I look. Get to 'see behind the curtain' on people's thoughts, per se. Not pretty. I'm not saying you are racist, I'm saying you don't get to be tired of hearing about the race card all the time. That's how defensive people get on this, if I question ANYTHING about their views on racism, out comes the 'I have a black friend' or 'I have minority friends'....ok.