Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cousins for Mayfield deal in the works?
Quote: @"Havoc1649" said:
@"minny65"b said:
@"Havoc1649" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"Havoc1649" said:
I’m not buying this. It would be an absolutely moronic trade by the Vikings. Save very little, take a big hit in QB play, and get a 3r for the trouble? 2 firsts would be minimum. Dumb idea. 

Would Mayfield in a McConnell ran offense interest you? If so there's one first round pick and he would flourish if used in the same fashion Kyler Murray is used. If Cousins met his conditions, there's another first round pick, plus the 3rd this year. What do you believe Cousins value to be, and which other team would give the Vikings this type of deal? If the decision is to move on from Cousins and his contract, it's probably the Browns, Redskins, and a couple other teams that make sense and that's it 

This isn't a full on rebuild but it's a roster that needs tweaking, changes, and is up against the cap. The Wilfs have committed to Kwesi and his vision for four years. I'm assuming that will also go with whomever he selects to be coach. 
Definitely the compensation I see as insufficient. Moving Kirk for Mayfield is a downgrade. Mayfield is better than your journeyman borderline starters, but he is not on Cousins level. So at the outset, you’re reducing the capability of your team. Why? 
That’s the question. Cap savings will not be much next year. Following years you will likely pay Mayfield close to the cap number you’re paying Kirk on an extension. The best outcome would be being able to draft a stud. However, the odds are exceptionally low that that happens. 
So for me, the risk profile for the Vikings is quite high. It’s not necessarily prohibitive, but compensation will have to match that risk or you don’t do it.

I wouldn’t trade him for less than this years 1st, 3rd & next years 1st - no conditions. Doing anything conditional is dumb in my opinion, for lack of a better term. That’s their risk to take on. 
If none of the teams are willing to give up a similar type of deal, I wouldn’t do it. I’d focus on an extension that puts Cousins cap number between $30-35 each year. I’d focus on improving our defense. Even with an average defense, this team was a contender this year. In my opinion, a new coach and system along with adding good draft picks and we’re in good shape. 
Contender for what?  Division title, prob not.  Wild card...yes and 1 and out.  This is not a contending team with an average defense unless you are happy just contending for a Wild Card and I know we are all not happy with that.   After watching all those playoff games was there a team that we could have beat past a wild card?  I really don't think so.  Those teams looked years ahead of us in execution and coaching and I think we, as Viking diehards, over value some of our players.  
I think much the opposite. In my opinion most Viking fans don’t appreciate what they have and don’t recognize the talent on the team. Kirk Cousins is a case in point. He plays at elite levels most of the time and fans want to get rid of him. It’s not rational, it’s emotional. They point out things like record when it comes to QB - which literally tells you nothing of value - again it’s emotional. Matt Stafford is an obvious example of the team matters.
Here’s our performance against the teams playing today:

Bengals 27 Vikings 24

49ers.   34. Vikings 26

Rams.   30. Vikings 23

Every single game was winnable. Our coach started players like Breeland, who got torched all season long. Do we win some of our other games with Dantzler in? Definitely possible. Little things like that are the difference between wins and losses in the NFL. How about play calling on offense and defense? Make a difference? Obviously it had a dramatic impact on the season. 
A middle of the road defense beats all of these teams. Does that mean a playoff win? I’d say not with Coach Zimmer. With a good coach who gets a team properly prepped and fired up? Absolutely. The team we fielded talent wise, was not far off. 
My exact point is is that coaches matter. Coaching decisions matter. A superior coach, which won’t take much, can make this a competitive team right away. An actual competent defensive coordinator with some decent additions can turn this thing around and it will equal wins. We absolutely can hang next year if we don’t blow this team up. 
Based on the majority of what I read, few Vikings fans recognize this. They stay focused on areas of the team that are strengths, as if changing to a lower performance QB is magically going to equate to wins because of things like “leadership”. These are things that mean next to nothing when it comes to winning. They make great “isms”, but they are nothing more than emotional fluff. 
The right coach can straighten this team out to the point it can win a lot of games next year. The question is, does emotion or logic win out? 
You make some good points but KC is so Jekyll and Hyde that I think it’s reasonable for fans to want better than Kirk. I know all QBs have bad days but did you watch the Browns game? Dallas? Both at home and honestly you or I could’ve thrown for more yards than Kirk. It was bad.

He has some great games where he carries us. No question. But it’s the eggs he lays that are the difference between making the playoffs and not the past 2 years. 

You’re also assuming he’ll sign an extension for a pay cut. Why would he do that when he can make $45M this year and hit free agency next year? If he’s as good and as durable as you and many fans are saying, why would he do that? Especially considering the Vikings will have a new coach he’s not familiar with and yet another new OC. 

Quote: @"Havoc1649" said:
@"minny65"b said:
@"Havoc1649" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"Havoc1649" said:
I’m not buying this. It would be an absolutely moronic trade by the Vikings. Save very little, take a big hit in QB play, and get a 3r for the trouble? 2 firsts would be minimum. Dumb idea. 

Would Mayfield in a McConnell ran offense interest you? If so there's one first round pick and he would flourish if used in the same fashion Kyler Murray is used. If Cousins met his conditions, there's another first round pick, plus the 3rd this year. What do you believe Cousins value to be, and which other team would give the Vikings this type of deal? If the decision is to move on from Cousins and his contract, it's probably the Browns, Redskins, and a couple other teams that make sense and that's it 

This isn't a full on rebuild but it's a roster that needs tweaking, changes, and is up against the cap. The Wilfs have committed to Kwesi and his vision for four years. I'm assuming that will also go with whomever he selects to be coach. 
Definitely the compensation I see as insufficient. Moving Kirk for Mayfield is a downgrade. Mayfield is better than your journeyman borderline starters, but he is not on Cousins level. So at the outset, you’re reducing the capability of your team. Why? 
That’s the question. Cap savings will not be much next year. Following years you will likely pay Mayfield close to the cap number you’re paying Kirk on an extension. The best outcome would be being able to draft a stud. However, the odds are exceptionally low that that happens. 
So for me, the risk profile for the Vikings is quite high. It’s not necessarily prohibitive, but compensation will have to match that risk or you don’t do it.

I wouldn’t trade him for less than this years 1st, 3rd & next years 1st - no conditions. Doing anything conditional is dumb in my opinion, for lack of a better term. That’s their risk to take on. 
If none of the teams are willing to give up a similar type of deal, I wouldn’t do it. I’d focus on an extension that puts Cousins cap number between $30-35 each year. I’d focus on improving our defense. Even with an average defense, this team was a contender this year. In my opinion, a new coach and system along with adding good draft picks and we’re in good shape. 
Contender for what?  Division title, prob not.  Wild card...yes and 1 and out.  This is not a contending team with an average defense unless you are happy just contending for a Wild Card and I know we are all not happy with that.   After watching all those playoff games was there a team that we could have beat past a wild card?  I really don't think so.  Those teams looked years ahead of us in execution and coaching and I think we, as Viking diehards, over value some of our players.  
I think much the opposite. In my opinion most Viking fans don’t appreciate what they have and don’t recognize the talent on the team. Kirk Cousins is a case in point. He plays at elite levels most of the time and fans want to get rid of him. It’s not rational, it’s emotional. They point out things like record when it comes to QB - which literally tells you nothing of value - again it’s emotional. Matt Stafford is an obvious example of the team matters.
Here’s our performance against the teams playing today:

Bengals 27 Vikings 24

49ers.   34. Vikings 26

Rams.   30. Vikings 23

Every single game was winnable. Our coach started players like Breeland, who got torched all season long. Do we win some of our other games with Dantzler in? Definitely possible. Little things like that are the difference between wins and losses in the NFL. How about play calling on offense and defense? Make a difference? Obviously it had a dramatic impact on the season. 
A middle of the road defense beats all of these teams. Does that mean a playoff win? I’d say not with Coach Zimmer. With a good coach who gets a team properly prepped and fired up? Absolutely. The team we fielded talent wise, was not far off. 
My exact point is is that coaches matter. Coaching decisions matter. A superior coach, which won’t take much, can make this a competitive team right away. An actual competent defensive coordinator with some decent additions can turn this thing around and it will equal wins. We absolutely can hang next year if we don’t blow this team up. 
Based on the majority of what I read, few Vikings fans recognize this. They stay focused on areas of the team that are strengths, as if changing to a lower performance QB is magically going to equate to wins because of things like “leadership”. These are things that mean next to nothing when it comes to winning. They make great “isms”, but they are nothing more than emotional fluff. 
The right coach can straighten this team out to the point it can win a lot of games next year. The question is, does emotion or logic win out? 
Of course coaching matters a ton and I advocated for a coaching change for 3 years.  

Don't know who the new HC will be and how long the learning curve would be.

But we are more than a new HC away from contending IMO we need a lot more moves than a new HC.  

Every year/offseason the "what if's" starts for every team and fans will go through the schedule and say what you indicated above.  We could have beat every one of those teams if only____________