Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
O'Neill comments
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
Fans here have been saying this for a while now...

- Eagan doesn't look like a very happy place to be 
 - The truth will come out when the regime changes

Both are proving to be true.

Kendricks and O'Neill are both smart and savvy guys. They dont air their grievances over social media or during Festivus. So when they speak I'll listen (and believe). 

You don't need to give atta boys to adult professionals,   but at least acknowledge that they are there and may have some insight as professionals.
Yeah, actually you do. I do it all the time to my sales team and others that I manage. 'Adult professionals' regardless of what they do still like to be supported and encouraged. Its human nature. 
Ive been in sales my whole life,  closing a sale is my atta boy,  if my company wants to say something... do it at bonus time,  other than that its just lip service.

ever heard the saying I asked for a raise,  they gave me a title/promotion instead?  maybe some people need that verbal positive reinforcement,  mine comes in the form of compensation.
Dude for me its women.  The women in my office do soooooo much better with thank yous, complements, asking how their day is going.  The guys?? 

Maybe I'm a grump old SOB but get on with it.  Motivate me with $$.  I have better things to do then listen to the dog and pony show. Thankfully, I've found that spot in my life where I get left alone and thus leave the higher ups alone.  Life is good. 

I can see though when you get 100 players who've been coddled their entire lives because they've excelled at something and those in charge wanted to recruit those talents.  Getting your ego stroked probably goes off better then my grump old/middle aged man approach.

Just my opinion on this subject, but I’m not so sure O’Neill wants it taken as far as maybe people are conjuring it up to be. What I mean is, when one thinks of how Zim “appeared” to be (the perception of a grumpy old curmudgeon) then it isn’t hard to imagine him walking around speaking little, making little eye contact when passing people in the hall, and perhaps having a “resting bitch face” that gave off some moody vibes. I can totally imagine that to be a possibility. So, in my interpretation of O’Neill’s comments it would seem like maybe players would have appreciated if Zim would have went to the trouble to look someone in the eye, smile, and say, “Hey there, Brian.” I mean, that’s not too hard, is it? I don’t think O’Neill expected or even wanted Zim to fawn all over him…just a little warmth out of the guy. 

Obviously my scenario above is complete speculation, but it seems rather plausible, at least to me anyway. And, I don’t mean to infer that Zim never did some of those simple gestures. I’m thinking it’s more of a recent behavior considering the stress of having his buns pressed to a hot seat. 

Quote: @prairieghost said:
Just my opinion on this subject, but I’m not so sure O’Neill wants it taken as far as maybe people are conjuring it up to be. What I mean is, when one thinks of how Zim “appeared” to be (the perception of a grumpy old curmudgeon) then it isn’t hard to imagine him walking around speaking little, making little eye contact when passing people in the hall, and perhaps having a “resting bitch face” that gave off some moody vibes. I can totally imagine that to be a possibly. So, in my interpretation of O’Neill’s comments it would seem like maybe players would have appreciated if Zim would have went to the trouble to look someone in the eye, smile, and say, “Hey there, Brian.” I mean, that’s not too hard, is it? I don’t think O’Neill expected or even wanted Zim to fawn all over him…just a little warmth out of the guy. 

Obviously my scenario above is complete speculation, but it seems rather plausible, at least to me anyway. And, I don’t mean to infer that Zim never did some of those simple gestures. I’m thinking it’s more of a recent behavior considering the stress of having his buns pressed to a hot seat. 
Just my opinion on this subject, but I’m not so sure O’Neill wants it taken as far as maybe people are conjuring it up to be. What I mean is, when one thinks of how Zim “appeared” to be (the perception of a grumpy old curmudgeon) then it isn’t hard to imagine him walking around speaking little, making little eye contact when passing people in the hall, and perhaps having a “resting bitch face” that gave off some moody vibes. I can totally imagine that to be a possibly. So, in my interpretation of O’Neill’s comments it would seem like maybe players would have appreciated if Zim would have went to the trouble to look someone in the eye, smile, and say, “Hey there, Brian.” I mean, that’s not too hard, is it? I don’t think O’Neill expected or even wanted Zim to fawn all over him…just a little warmth out of the guy. 

I think this is plausible to me. I know players get paid a lot of money but I don't know if that's their only motivation. For some perhaps but all of them, I don't think I really believe that. But I think it's important to tune into motivation and also connect with people. And those connections are different for everyone. There are a lot of different kinds of people on this football team. On the one hand, they are very tough obviously. Working that hard all year round takes a toll. But being in an environment that could be considered hostile or toxic (I am not assuming this, just pondering) can take a toll on morale.

Also if there is a difference in approach to veterans versus rookies, that could increase the divide. And why is it considered butthurt if you want your coach to talk to you? Why is wanting compassion and respect considered soft? There is a lot of insecurity and uncertainty coming in as a rookie. Wouldn't you want to support them? So much of communication is nonverbal and a lot of different perceptions can come from the way someone looks at you. O'Neill's will be taken many ways but I am glad he put it out there.

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
@prairieghost said:

I think this is plausible to me. I know players get paid a lot of money but I don't know if that's their only motivation. For some perhaps but all of them, I don't think I really believe that. But I think it's important to tune into motivation and also connect with people. And those connections are different for everyone. There are a lot of different kinds of people on this football team. On the one hand, they are very tough obviously. Working that hard all year round takes a toll. But being in an environment that could be considered hostile or toxic (I am not assuming this, just pondering) can take a toll on morale.

Also if there is a difference in approach to veterans versus rookies, that could increase the divide. And why is it considered butthurt if you want your coach to talk to you? Why is wanting compassion and respect considered soft? There is a lot of insecurity and uncertainty coming in as a rookie. Wouldn't you want to support them? So much of communication is nonverbal and a lot of different perceptions can come from the way someone looks at you. O'Neill's will be taken many ways but I am glad he put it out there.
Well said, and I totally agree with you, VG. 

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
Fans here have been saying this for a while now...

- Eagan doesn't look like a very happy place to be 
 - The truth will come out when the regime changes

Both are proving to be true.

Kendricks and O'Neill are both smart and savvy guys. They dont air their grievances over social media or during Festivus. So when they speak I'll listen (and believe). 

You don't need to give atta boys to adult professionals,   but at least acknowledge that they are there and may have some insight as professionals.
Yeah, actually you do. I do it all the time to my sales team and others that I manage. 'Adult professionals' regardless of what they do still like to be supported and encouraged. Its human nature. 
Ive been in sales my whole life,  closing a sale is my atta boy,  if my company wants to say something... do it at bonus time,  other than that its just lip service.

ever heard the saying I asked for a raise,  they gave me a title/promotion instead?  maybe some people need that verbal positive reinforcement,  mine comes in the form of compensation.
Dude for me its women.  The women in my office do soooooo much better with thank yous, complements, asking how their day is going.  The guys?? 

Maybe I'm a grump old SOB but get on with it.  Motivate me with $$.  I have better things to do then listen to the dog and pony show. Thankfully, I've found that spot in my life where I get left alone and thus leave the higher ups alone.  Life is good. 

I can see though when you get 100 players who've been coddled their entire lives because they've excelled at something and those in charge wanted to recruit those talents.  Getting your ego stroked probably goes off better then my grump old/middle aged man approach.
I certainly think - where you are at in your career - has a big impact on one's motivation.  I would say up until I hit my late 30's the recognition/atta-boys become way secondary to Bonus/$$$.

Obviously, most/all of these NFL players are under 35 and since their contracts/incentives/$$$ has already been worked out by thier agent I think a GM/HC recognition/atta-boys go a long way for most.  Now when you get to Kendricks age/seniority you want input that is valued/validated and that is exactly what he said vs the younger O'Niell who just wants a friendly hello "I know who you are" from above.  

So back to a sales force (I used to manage a group of 20 and also co-manage 2 other managers and their sales forces for a copromotion) ...everyone is different, and every situation is different.  Youth/starting out any recognition/encouragement is huge and impactful in most situations and then many/not all fall into more validation/input and of course $$$ is the primary motivator for the vast majority but just like people in general you want to be heard/recognized/validated.