Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Other options at QB
Quote: @"Hawkvike25" said:
If we are going to trade Kirk and have a gap year, might as well make it fun and pick up Jameis. Jameis playing for the Vikings would create the greatest NFL rollercoaster ever.
There are worse options. The good after two years with Payton: 14 TDs and 3 ints before he got hurt.

The bad, 59% completion %. But, that Saints WR group pales in comparison to what we could provide.

Roman and Jameis?

Roman and Strong after a year on the bench?

Quote: @"minny65" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
If the Vikings are going to take on a big contract with a QB who may or may not be an upgrade from Cousins, they might as well just keep Cousins. But something tells me they might be moving on....

I saw somewhere where Kyle Rudolph said Daniel Jones was the best QB he's ever worked with, which is silly. So why say that? Especially a year after dissing Cousins by mentioning a half dozen guys he'll miss (Cousins not being one of them). Did he time it with the Wilfs' organizational meeting? Is Rudy sending signals to the Wilfs?

So Rudy, Diggs, Griffen, Zimmer, et al have all dissed Cousins in one way or another. There might be 2 or 3 QBs in the NFL with better arm talent than Cousins, but no one would argue with the fact that he has all the fire and leadership of a slice of soggy, white Wonder bread. Maybe there's even more we don't know about.  
I did not read that about Rudy..wow.  

I have been torn on Spelly the last few months.  Up until then I was a very strong supporter.  The poll I did a few months ago showed a 50/50 split on keeping spelly with 18 votes w/mine in support of keeping him.

Spelly, as GM, and from all rumors was the one gun-hoe for Cousins.  So if the Wilf's are actually thinking that Cousins is not our answer (I am also in that camp) then I think that may result in them cleaning house including Spelly.  I think Spelly will get a GM job within a year maybe two.  

Where I sit/think today Smile

Wilf's keep Spelly but basically tell him to get the best deal for Cousin's in a trade no matter what.  I think we go full rebuild mode which in todays NFL can only 1 or 2 years if you do things right.  
Well first of all, "rebuild" is an anachronism from 30 years ago. Except for perennial bottom dwellers, nobody rebuilds anymore. Second, if Spielman is sent packing like Zimmer, he'd spend about 5 minutes on the open market. Vikings fans are about the only people who don't realize he's a top 5 to 10 GM in the NFL. 

I don't know about rumors or why we need them. Rick's the GM. Yes, he's responsible for signing Cousins. And it was a good signing. That didn't work out. At least not yet. Do you remember our options at the time? Not everything in the NFL works. Most, in fact, don't. Doesn't make them bad decisions. 

It's like the line of thinking that says, "they haven't won a Super Bowl, so it's time for them to go."  Well, no. That's juvenile thinking. By that logic, because I drove all over the front range last night drunk off my ass and didn't kill anyone, I must be a responsible driver. Cousins was a good decision. So was Yannick NGakoue. And trading him away after Hunter went down was an even better one. A ballsier one anyway. Herndon? Now that was a bad trade. But every team makes 'em. 

I'm not going to make a prediction. I don't know the Wilfs. But I do know that if they sit down, go over roster construction and evaluate everything objectively, there's one obvious solution: Fire Zimmer and keep Spielman. Whether they do it or not remains to be seen.

Regarding Cousins, I think you listen to trade offers. And either trade or extend based on what those look like. With Cousins back and a coach who doesn't give away a half dozen games, this is probably a playoff team in 22. 

because its worked so well the first 16 years….

Quote: @"JustinTime18™" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
If the Vikings are going to take on a big contract with a QB who may or may not be an upgrade from Cousins, they might as well just keep Cousins. But something tells me they might be moving on....

I saw somewhere where Kyle Rudolph said Daniel Jones was the best QB he's ever worked with, which is silly. So why say that? Especially a year after dissing Cousins by mentioning a half dozen guys he'll miss (Cousins not being one of them). Did he time it with the Wilfs' organizational meeting? Is Rudy sending signals to the Wilfs?

So Rudy, Diggs, Griffen, Zimmer, et al have all dissed Cousins in one way or another. There might be 2 or 3 QBs in the NFL with better arm talent than Cousins, but no one would argue with the fact that he has all the fire and leadership of a slice of soggy, white Wonder bread. Maybe there's even more we don't know about.  
I previously said he's a theater kid in a room with 50+ alpha male jocks. I just don't think he fits. Add to that his goofy ass father...
I feel that's an insult to theater kids. I am thinking more of a math guy. Theater kids are creative. There is definitely an issue with fit though.

He's a math guy.  When he signed, he stated he had an excel spreadsheet of every down he has played.  That scared me because I'm thinking, he's too analytical, not enough gunslinger.  

Throw in the GM who puts his shoes on before his pants, it's nerd central in Minnesota.  Nice guys with no feel.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"minny65" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

I did not read that about Rudy..wow.  

I have been torn on Spelly the last few months.  Up until then I was a very strong supporter.  The poll I did a few months ago showed a 50/50 split on keeping spelly with 18 votes w/mine in support of keeping him.

Spelly, as GM, and from all rumors was the one gun-hoe for Cousins.  So if the Wilf's are actually thinking that Cousins is not our answer (I am also in that camp) then I think that may result in them cleaning house including Spelly.  I think Spelly will get a GM job within a year maybe two.  

Where I sit/think today Smile

Wilf's keep Spelly but basically tell him to get the best deal for Cousin's in a trade no matter what.  I think we go full rebuild mode which in todays NFL can only 1 or 2 years if you do things right.  
Well first of all, "rebuild" is an anachronism from 30 years ago. Except for perennial bottom dwellers, nobody rebuilds anymore. Second, if Spielman is sent packing like Zimmer, he'd spend about 5 minutes on the open market. Vikings fans are about the only people who don't realize he's a top 5 to 10 GM in the NFL. 

I don't know about rumors or why we need them. Rick's the GM. Yes, he's responsible for signing Cousins. And it was a good signing. That didn't work out. At least not yet. Do you remember our options at the time? Not everything in the NFL works. Most, in fact, don't. Doesn't make them bad decisions. 

It's like the line of thinking that says, "they haven't won a Super Bowl, so it's time for them to go."  Well, no. That's juvenile thinking. By that logic, because I drove all over the front range last night drunk off my ass and didn't kill anyone, I must be a responsible driver. Cousins was a good decision. So was Yannick NGakoue. And trading him away after Hunter went down was an even better one. A ballsier one anyway. Herndon? Now that was a bad trade. But every team makes 'em. 

I'm not going to make a prediction. I don't know the Wilfs. But I do know that if they sit down, go over roster construction and evaluate everything objectively, there's one obvious solution: Fire Zimmer and keep Spielman. Whether they do it or not remains to be seen.

Regarding Cousins, I think you listen to trade offers. And either trade or extend based on what those look like. With Cousins back and a coach who doesn't give away a half dozen games, this is probably a playoff team in 22. 
So we agree on Spelly and Zimmer and not on Cousins.  I don't think their needs to be any juvenile thinking involved Smile

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Caactorvike" said:
Maybe Baker?  He’s been playing hurt most of this season and Stefanski has ignored it and questioned Baker’s ability. Maybe a change of scenery is needed. Zimmer would not be the man, but assuming (praying) Zim is gone, Leftwich might be the one the Vikes and Baker need.   Bring in Bakers pal Alex Van Pelt too. And while I’m at it, how about promoting Dre to DC?
nothing but  love for Patterson as a DL coach, but does he have the chops to be a good DC?  Hes no spring chicken himself,  why, with all the success he has had as a DL coach hasnt he been given a chance to run his own D so far?  Hes been a DL coach dating back to 1997, and with some pretty good teams too,  but has never once been a true DC where he ran the D,  and hes worked with some pretty good HCs over those years.
@"Caactorvike" said:
Maybe Baker?  He’s been playing hurt most of this season and Stefanski has ignored it and questioned Baker’s ability. Maybe a change of scenery is needed. Zimmer would not be the man, but assuming (praying) Zim is gone, Leftwich might be the one the Vikes and Baker need.   Bring in Bakers pal Alex Van Pelt too. And while I’m at it, how about promoting Dre to DC?
nothing but  love for Patterson as a DL coach, but does he have the chops to be a good DC?  Hes no spring chicken himself,  why, with all the success he has had as a DL coach hasnt he been given a chance to run his own D so far?  Hes been a DL coach dating back to 1997, and with some pretty good teams too,  but has never once been a true DC where he ran the D,  and hes worked with some pretty good HCs over those years.
Bad luck?  Lol. He’s asst. DC now—which he must have asked for (or been given) to stay. Presumably he has had more input on preparation etc. dunno— might be worth it.

Btw— I appreciate the defense of theatre kids.  Just saying’.

Quote: @"Caactorvike" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Caactorvike" said:
@"Caactorvike" said:
Bad luck?  Lol. He’s asst. DC now—which he must have asked for (or been given) to stay. Presumably he has had more input on preparation etc. dunno— might be worth it.
In title only,  does anybody think Zimmer is really doing anything with his D that he doesn't agree with?  He's still calling the plays even,  I dont see where neither Patterson nor Zim Jr are anything more than position coaches.