Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bert has a message...
We have girls.  They do cross country.  The worst that is going to happen is a twisted ankle or an asthma attack. 

Quote: @"Riphawkins" said:
My youngest son was steamrolled by a teammate in practice in the 8th grade and got a concussion. The teammate was about 60 lbs heavier than my son.
He was out for about 6 weeks, and only played in 4 games that year.
His Freshman year he was hit on the side of the knee  during a game by his own teammate and tore his meniscus, ACL, and PCL. Initially the doctor said he’d probably never play sports again. He did end up playing baseball. 
He was an A/B student until the concussion, when he dropped to a low B student, then after the knee his grades dropped even more. Some of that due to missing school, some due to depression.

If I could go back in time, I’d encourage him not to play.
I clicked "don't like" cuz I completely understand.  The first son to play didn't get to play varsity because of concussions.  He got one at the end of his junior year, then got another by hitting his head on the windshield when he slid off the road in winter.  that one affected him for over a month and long term.  So that ended his football career. Second son blew out his knee in 3rd game on varsity.  He was their LDE and the D was built around him as he blew up on JV his junior year.  So I get it, the rewards on varsity have been slim.

But flipside, the enjoyment I have had watching them play... can't be replaced.  Those two got to play together on JV for one year and that was pretty damn special. 

Quote: @"AGRforever" said:
We have girls.  They do cross country.  The worst that is going to happen is a twisted ankle or an asthma attack. 
you have girls... that is not the worst thing that can happen,  not by a long shot.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"AGRforever" said:
you have girls... that is not the worst thing that can happen,  not by a long shot.

We're also are the coaches of the team...so we're good there. 

The stray kitten going into the hot summer night better not happen.  We're paying a lot of money to send them to private school so hopefully that doesn't happen.

Some day I'll want grand kids.  Just not for like 15-20 more years.

Quote: B) @"AGRforever" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"AGRforever" said:

We're also are the coaches of the team...so we're good there. 

The stray kitten going into the hot summer night better not happen.  We're paying a lot of money to send them to private school so hopefully that doesn't happen.

Some day I'll want grand kids.  Just not for like 15-20 more years.
ok... I am not saying anything specific here... but I went to 8 years of private school and there werent many parents of girls that wanted me anywhere near their daughters.  one thing that being a father and raising a teenage son and daughter has taught me.... all men are dogs,  some are more loyal than others,  but dogs none the less.   B)

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"Riphawkins" said:
My youngest son was steamrolled by a teammate in practice in the 8th grade and got a concussion. The teammate was about 60 lbs heavier than my son.
His Freshman year he was hit on the side of the knee  during a game by his own teammate and tore his meniscus, ACL, and PCL. Initially the doctor said he’d probably never play sports again. He did end up playing baseball. 
He was an A/B student until the concussion, when he dropped to a low B student, then after the knee his grades dropped even more. Some of that due to missing school, some due to depression.

I clicked "don't like" cuz I completely understand.  The first son to play didn't get to play varsity because of concussions.  He got one at the end of his junior year, then got another by hitting his head on the windshield when he slid off the road in winter.  that one affected him for over a month and long term.  So that ended his football career. Second son blew out his knee in 3rd game on varsity.  He was their LDE and the D was built around him as he blew up on JV his junior year.  So I get it, the rewards on varsity have been slim.

But flipside, the enjoyment I have had watching them play... can't be replaced.  Those two got to play together on JV for one year and that was pretty damn special. 
My oldest son played. He didn’t start, but he did play special teams. The coolest thing ever was when they played a game against another local team in Lucas Oil Stadium. It was part of an 8 team special event during the regular season.He made a really nice tackle on a kickoff. He’s a huge Colts fan, so to see him play on their field and hear his name over the PA was cool.
It was always fun watching them play, my heart was usually in my throat every time they stepped on the field because football is such a brutal game.

Quote: @"Riphawkins" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"Riphawkins" said:

My oldest son played. He didn’t start, but he did play special teams. The coolest thing ever was when they played a game against another local team in Lucas Oil Stadium. It was part of an 8 team special event during the regular season.He made a really nice tackle on a kickoff. He’s a huge Colts fan, so to see him play on their field and hear his name over the PA was cool.
It was always fun watching them play, my heart was usually in my throat every time they stepped on the field because football is such a brutal game.
Yes, hearing the name is so cool, specially when it was said ... with the tackle, assisted by ....

But when my son went down the with knee, it was on special teams, he was actually blocking someone (he wasn't great at blocking on ST) and got a helmet in the side of the leg.  Seeing a player down, as a dad, I always could find my son's number quickly, but that day he didn't jog off with the rest.  So I knew it was him and then the stood him up and  the knee wobbled.  

I was so pissed.  Mama went down and talked to him, he wanted nothing of that since he was barely holding it together.  I just sat in silence for the rest of the game.

According to a recent systematic review, examining the concussion rate in team sports, men’s rugby was found to have the highest incidence of concussion in both match play (3.00/1,000 AE) and practice (0.37/1,000 AE).[1]
Men’s tackle football came in second for match play concussion rate at 2.5 per 1,000 AE, and third for concussions experienced during practice (0.30/1,000 AE).[1]
Women’s ice hockey came in third for match-play concussions with 2.27 per 1,000 AE and second for practice concussions with 0.31 per 1,000 AE.[1]
Check out the full list below:
Game Play
  1. Men’s rugby match play (3.00/1,000 AE)
  2. Men’s American football (2.5/1,000 AE)
  3. Women’s ice hockey (2.27/1,000 AE)
  4. Men’s Ice hockey (1.63/1,000 AE)
  5. Women’s soccer (1.48/1,000 AE)
  6. Men’s football (or soccer) (1.07/1,000 AE)
During practice
  1. Men’s rugby (0.37/1,000 AE)
  2. Women’s ice hockey (0.31/1,000 AE)
  3. Men’s American football (0.30/1,000 AE)
  4. Women’s football (or soccer) (0.13/1,000 AE)
  5. Men’s ice hockey (0.12/1,000 AE)
  6. Men’s football (or soccer) (0.08/1,000 AE)
One important finding is that in sports played by both men and women, women sports typically had a higher rate of concussion. This is especially interesting in sports like hockey. Women’s hockey is non-contact but has a higher rate of concussion compared to men’s hockey – which is full-body contact.

As long as it is not a "text message" from Brett, I'm good.

I know his MO, "throwing picks and sexting dicks"