Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peter King Thinks Vikings Suck
Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"VikeMike52" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"VikeMike52" said:
I think we'll have at least one team in the Super Bowl this year with a head coach making his SB debut. My favorite candidates include Sean McDermott, Kevin Stefanski, Mike Zimmer and Frank Reich. I would also add the team with Aaron Rodgers. Who is your choice?

The Godfather disagrees.
so what would be the ideal matchup for the Vikes.  I know he said one team... but, Zim versus Stef?  Vikings vs Buffalo?  Zim's revenge on Reich?
I think they would all be pretty tough and any of them beatable.  Vikes have a hard schedule, I hope that prepares them for the post season.  To be the best you have to beat the best.

Tom Brady has a couple fists full of rings that say otherwise... the Pats IMO were aided by never really having a difficult schedule since they spent the last 2 decades in what was typically the least competitive conference in the game,  sure they had to play a first place schedule quite often,  but having the phins, bills, and jets to get healthy on is like getting some extra bye weeks every year.

of course we have the lions and yet Zimmer has had his hands full dealing with that perennial cellar dweller.
When I used to play the weekly pickem games, I had a rule.  never bet on a divisional game.  Yeah Brady played against some crappy competition for years, but division games are always difficult.  That rivalry, the knowledge of the opponent, it means those games are not a given even when on paper they should be easy.

I know we had some blips against the Lions in recent years, but aren't we 6-0 vs them since Cousins became our QB?

One small hurdle this team needs to overcome is the fact that it hasn’t won back to back playoff games since, gulp, 1987… let that marinate a little!  Confused 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/min/playoffs.htm

Quote: @"Kentis" said:
One small hurdle this team needs to overcome is the fact that it hasn’t won back to back playoff games since, gulp, 1987… let that marinate a little!  Confused 

Well, that's a little bit of a weird stat since teams who win their division only play one playoff game before the championship. You could also say that, during that span, the Vikings were in the NFC Championship 5 times. That's more of our bugaboo...winning the damn NFCC. My therapist wants you to not get me started on 1998 and 2009.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Kentis" said:

Well, that's a little bit of a weird stat since teams who win their division only play one playoff game before the championship. You could also say that, during that span, the Vikings were in the NFC Championship 5 times. That's more of our bugaboo...winning the damn NFCC. My therapist wants you to not get me started on 1998 and 2009.
 I think that is the point of the stat though... .they cant win more than 1 damn playoff game per year and the min for a champ is 3.... even with a wild card the team has been 1and done.

@"Kentis" said:

wonder what the stats are for other teams, say like the Green Bay Rodgers?

They have been to the playoffs more often since 1987, but only twice did their playoffs not end in a L.  

@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Kentis" said:

I think that is the point of the stat though... .they cant win more than 1 damn playoff game per year and the min for a champ is 3.... even with a wild card the team has been 1and done.
What team though? It's not about us. In this kind of stat, the only constant is US not the team. The team changes.  

@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Kentis" said:

What team though? It's not about us. In this kind of stat, the only constant is US not the team. The team changes.  
Seems the result are pretty constant as well
Players have changed
Coaching has changed
Ownership has changed 
Venue has changed
Fans have changed
Hell even the game has changed....
34 years of 1 and done being the best this franchise can muster seems to be the biggest constant,  the only greater constant is with us diehards thinking this team/coach/owner/ year 
..it will be different.

@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Kentis" said:

Players have changed
Coaching has changed
Ownership has changed 
Venue has changed
Fans have changed
34 years of 1 and done being the best this franchise can muster seems to be the biggest constant,  the only greater constant is with us diehards thinking this team/coach/owner/ year 
..it will be different.
Then very clearly, if there is a problem to be identified, it's US. The fans. We're the only constant. 

Unless you agree with me that stats like this are meaningless....and stupid. 

@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Kentis" said:

Players have changed
Coaching has changed
Ownership has changed 
Venue has changed
Fans have changed
..it will be different.
Then very clearly, if there is a problem to be identified, it's US. The fans. We're the only constant. 

Unless you agree with me that stats like this are meaningless....and stupid. 
Most stats are,  about as meaningless as PFF grades.